Chess Clubs in Sheffield

Josef

There is a university team, they play at the University Arms, I think on a Monday night, The guy who runs the club is Mark Kirkham, ask behind the bar at the University arms for more details. I have notived that on the Sheffield website there are no contact details

There are also the water, coal board, hsbc, abbeydale teams to name a few off of the top of my head.

Ecclesall Chess Club meet on Wednesday Evenings at the Abbey Pub, 944 Chesterfield Road, Woodseats, Sheffield S8 0SH from 7.30pm.

The club is open to all chess players, and people wanting to learn. So just pop along and see us.

We have five teams available which play chess in the Sheffield League. We have a stars barred tournament, we have lightning chess, a club championship and chess coaching

---------- Post added 15-08-2014 at 12:33 ----------

Ecclesall Chess Club website is at http://www.ecclesallcc.weebly.com

Any chess clubs that take laid back amateurs?

I don't want to play in a league

I want to play while drinking a few pints and generally chatting

I'm not after strict adherence of rules like if you touch a piece you have to move it

I'm after an evening out, improve my game from competent beginner and get to know the person the other side of the board

Compare it to kicking around a football on a five-a-side pitch with some mates and then going to the pub

All the ones on t'internet are looking for hard core league players

Why not start your own up Hyper??? there must be loads of similar minded folk out there who'd like a game and a pint...let me know if you're stuck for a venue! Or if anyone else is interested let's see what we can do to set something up! The Transport Club are always willing to try new things, so if there's ebough interest out and about we'll give it a go...

Hi hyper you would be welcome at ecclesall chess club. Like you I don't play 'league games'. There are not many of us at ecclesall that take this attitude,but there are quite a few who like to play, chat, and drink a beer or two.

Why not pop along on one Wednesday at 7.30 and try us out.

I won't be there next Wednesday, but will be there on the tenth, and would like a few casual games with you. If you find that I am not a strong enough player to give you a decent game I will find you someone who can.

We play at Dore and Totley Golf Club.

Alternatively if you decide to form a new club for social chess I would do anything I can to help you there also.

Ecclesall Chess Club are holding what is hoped to be the first of many Social Chess Evenings on 1st March 2016 from 7.30 pm at the Dore and Totley Golf Club Clubhouse, Bradway Road, Bradway, Sheffield, S17 4QR

Telephone: 0114 2369872 Location Map - http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=433437&Y=380398&A=Y&Z=115

http://www.doreandtotleygolfclub.co.uk/how-to-find-us/

The Club is on the 53 bus route (25/25A in the day) and buses run until almost midnight at 20 minute intervals from the City centre to Bradway and return. The bus stop is right beside the entrance gate to the Club.

This event is especially suitable for chess players who want to play casual chess. There is no charge for attendance, however it is hoped that attendees buy at least one drink from the bar (teas and coffees and soft drinks are available).

This is hoped to be the first of many similar events to be staged in conjunction with other chess clubs. Some members of Sheffield Nomads Chess Club have shown a keen interest and it is hoped that Nomads will also participate in this initiative.

There is no need to even know all of the rules as we are prepared to teach these if necessary. The only stipulation is that you come along with the intention of enjoying yourself. It will be possible to ask whatever questions you like, when we will try and answer. It is expected that most attendees will be playing casual chess games but we are also hoping to have chess discussion and coaching as well. Real ale is available at a reasonable price.

Have to say Ecc, hats off to you for putting an event on.

Despite my enquiry, and some enthusiasm for this sort of show, I may well not attend, as its about as far from my house as anywhere in Sheffield can be. I dunno, we'll see.

As a by-the-way would my teenage son be allowed in? I'll be honest and say he looks quite young for his age, unlike his dad who looks quite old for his age lol

Edited by hyper

Hi hyper,

Yes children are allowed into the clubhouse, but or course not to that area near the bar if they are under 16. The youngest I can remember playing there was 8 years old.

If the event gets enough support it is likely that one of the other big clubs in Sheffield (Nomads) will be holding similar events, so it may be worth making an extra effort even if it is unlikely that you would choose to visit the venue regularly. I am sure that you will like the venue. I especially like having a chess game and a beer on the 'patio' area in the summer months, or in the winter finishing of a few games of chess with a frame of snooker.

Ecclesall Chess Club are holding what is hoped to be the first of many Social Chess Evenings on 1st March 2016 from 7.30 pm at the Dore and Totley Golf Club Clubhouse, Bradway Road, Bradway, Sheffield, S17 4QR

Telephone: 0114 2369872 Location Map - http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=433437&Y=380398&A=Y&Z=115

http://www.doreandtotleygolfclub.co.uk/how-to-find-us/

The Club is on the 53 bus route (25/25A in the day) and buses run until almost midnight at 20 minute intervals from the City centre to Bradway and return. The bus stop is right beside the entrance gate to the Club.

This event is especially suitable for chess players who want to play casual chess. There is no charge for attendance, however it is hoped that attendees buy at least one drink from the bar (teas and coffees and soft drinks are available).

This is hoped to be the first of many similar events to be staged in conjunction with other chess clubs. Some members of Sheffield Nomads Chess Club have shown a keen interest and it is hoped that Nomads will also participate in this initiative.

There is no need to even know all of the rules as we are prepared to teach these if necessary. The only stipulation is that you come along with the intention of enjoying yourself. It will be possible to ask whatever questions you like, when we will try and answer. It is expected that most attendees will be playing casual chess games but we are also hoping to have chess discussion and coaching as well. Real ale is available at a reasonable price.

I'd be interested in this, does it still happen, if so what nights?

Hi Waldo,

Ecclesall Chess Club holds its chess evening on Wednesday from 7.30pm. There has been little take up from the other clubs so Ecclesall does it all on its own now. There are usually six to twelve members playing social chess/ having coaching. There are often a lot more playing in competitive/ league games, but that depends upon the fixtures. You are welcome any Wednesday. I hope to see you there.

Anyone looking for a chess club in Sheffield; should take a look at the 'clubs' page on the Sheffield & District Chess Association website:

http://sheffieldchess.btck.co.uk/Clubs

You'll need to use the menu on the left, to select the clubs.

I've been to a couple of clubs so far, and very much enjoy just playing casual chess; not so keen on playing in leagues, just want to enjoy playing chess, and improve. If anyone's interested in organising or getting together for social chess, I'd be interested.