Tax code - am I paying too much?

does anyone know if your tax code should change if your a single parent dad , cos i,m still paying the same tax, and i,v tried to find the number i need to ring but it,s like trying to get through to god , i think i should be paying less or am i wrong ?

Makes no difference at all - there aren't different tax codes for people in different circumstances!

The only thing you can do is claim your Tax Credits (if you dare!).

x

ok thank,s anyway , i,ll just have to do more overtime

Your tax code should be the standard 503L meaning you can earn £5,035 a year before paying tax or NI on your salary.

As a single dad you should be entitled to tax credits, and that will be paid directly to you, so it won't affect your tax code.

Old thread but new query.

I am a single person and my tax code is 356T. I thought that meant I could earn £3,560 before paying tax. What happened to the £11,500 (roughly) we could earn before tax

I'm confused. I've tried ringing tax office and it was a recorded message asking me to speak my problem, I got very frustrated and hung up. Is it possible to speak to a human being anymore?

Fed up.....someone please help me

I am a single person and my tax code is 356T. I thought that meant I could earn £3,560 before paying tax. What happened to the £11,500 (roughly) we could earn before tax

I'm confused. I've tried ringing tax office and it was a recorded message asking me to speak my problem, I got very frustrated and hung up. Is it possible to speak to a human being anymore?

Fed up.....someone please help me ��

there is a tax office at the bottom of the moor near Wickes if you don't like using the phone

I don't mind using the phone at all, just very frustrating trying to get through to a human!!

https://www.gov.uk/tax-codes/letters-in-your-tax-code-what-they-mean

You should really speak with HMRC directly to make sure everything is correct however, you will eventually get trhough to someone - https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees

Have your National Insurance number with you when you phone.

Telephone:

0300 200 3300

Textphone:

0300 200 3319

Outside UK:

+44 135 535 9022

Opening times:

8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday

8am to 4pm Saturday

9am to 5pm Sunday

Closed bank holidays, Easter Sunday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

Best time to call:

Phone lines are less busy before 10am, Monday to Friday and less busy on Sundays.

I don't mind using the phone at all, just very frustrating trying to get through to a human!!

You should have had a notice of coding through the post which would explain how your tax code was calculated...

Could it be benefits in kind that cause this?

In Englad your code usually finishes with an L for a basic single persons allowance. The T suffix means that you have items on your record that need to be reviewed by the tax inspectors.

Have you recently changed jobs? Just started work for the first time, anything like that? Have you just got a P6 coding notice through the post at all?

You will need to speak to the office, you will need your last P60 and/or P45 if appropriate and your NI.