Help with Engagement Rings

There are no rules as to how much you should spend on an engagement ring. I am a qualifided Jeweller who used to work at meadowhall, and my job was to try and sell as much as I could.

I prefered selling something that made the person happy. I always knew what i thought looked great and showed a varied price range. There was never anything I couldn't do for a customer.

White Gold: Is rhodium plated which means that the gold underneath is not pure white, its a yellowy/gold. You would need to get it replated over the years, probably once a year

Platinum: Goes dull after a while and again needs rhodium plating (rhodium is a member of the platinum family and is found naturally within platinum)

Gold: Only needs polishing to keep it looking good.

White and Yellow gold is available in 9 or 18 carat. Don't believe that 18 is "weaker" than 9 as they used to say. Now 18 is mixed with stronger materials making it durable, I never take my 18carat ring of, even decorating, gardening, moving bricks etc.

Diamonds: Have a good long look at it, if its clear and bright, no spots that you can see then its a good diamonds. Princess Cut are the most popular diamond, but you can't go wrong with a round brilliant. Check what looks the nicest on your finger.

Always try a wedding ring on as well. You must know what it looks like when its "fully dressed".

Hope all this helps!

Good advise, although I've never heard that platinum needs to be plated. I have a platinum engagement ring and it has stayed the same colour, it just gets a natural patina on it after a while, which in most people's opinion is a nice look. It should never need to be rhodium plated, just polished if you want the shine back.

White gold on the other hand like you've said does need to be plated. It loses it's whiteness (due to the fact that essentially white gold doesn't exist, it's made) and will start to go yellow. Hence getting it dipped. It can be expensive when you have to do this regularly. I have friends who moan about this!

Platinum is much harder wearing than white gold, hypoallergenic (white gold depending on where its from could have nickel in its mix), but more expensive. However, if investing in a diamond, it is worth considering having it set in a metal that will be hard wearing. Some people who opt for gold have platinum claws fors instance.

A cheaper alternative to platinum is palladium. The 'new platinum'. Hard wearing and also naturally white so doesn't need to be dipped. Lots of people starting to opt for this now as a good compromise.

As for the question of cost and who picks it, that is the big question. Depends what you want, can afford etc. I am fussy, so we chose my ring together (or rather he was there but I picked the setting!). We bought a diamond and had it set. He wouldnt have dared choose one and surprise me! The fact we looked at the diamonds together and chose it makes it special. In years to come if I ever went off the design I would consider resetting the diamond. The diamond is the symbol of us not the actual ring if that makes sense.

Check out http://www.bluenile.co.uk if you are considering this option. They are brilliant, although I didn't actually buy from there, I know people who have. The site also has lots of advise on the 4Cs. I went and looked at some to choose mine. A lot fo high street shops overprice their rings and sell lesser quality diamonds with inclusions and lower colour.

im new to all this and im looking for some help,

can anyone give me an idea what is a reasonable price to pay for an engagement ring. ive spent loads of time looking through various websites and found you can spend a fortune.

ive been told that bramalls gold room in hillsborough are pretty good for choice and prices arnt bad either

help ....... :confused:

Whatever you’re comfortable with. Forget the “3–4 months salary” bit.

But… that said… realize that your fiancé will be comparing her new rock to her girlfriends’, her mother’s, random folks in the checkout line, etc.

So, do your best and seek out a good value (the “four Cs”: carat, clarity, color, and cut). In that regard, shop around, and try shops where they make their own.

And, this is important, she knows what shape rock she wants (round, princess, emerald, oval, heart, etc.)... you better find out what it is!

My friend says tradition is a month and halfs wages, but then again he's stupid :)

That 'tradition' was invented in the early 20th century by monopolistic diamond cartel De Beers' marketing department to increase consumer demand for diamonds.