Are Rottweilers as bad as they're made out to be?

Spinger can make lovely pets if they are kept busy and entertain every spinger i met as been lovely. Collie well there crackers i met alot of collie that are snappy but i do not belive this is the dogs promblem it becouse there to intelegent and they need to be simulted prefferbly worked.

I agree with you pinklady! Collies and springers are lovely dogs (my parents own a rescued springador as well as collie/flatcoat retriever cross - both rescued) but these breeds are definitely at their best when worked or at the very least trained well. I think it demonstrates well that any breed can be problematic when proper training and occupation is not applied.

exactly!

All dogs have the ability to get bored, and as such need to be trained. A trained dog is a happy dog. Not just because they know where they stand, but because they can do little jobs which pleases them.

Dalmatians are said to be untrainable. They're not, they just need to be kept busy as they get bored very, very easily.

I have Takara bringing me things all day and tell her to pick things up off the floor for me, find things in the park, jump over things - she always has to be learning new tricks. :lol:

Springers and collies are the same but I do know what you mean as far as them getting snappy when older - they can be like that, but I wouldn't say either breed was unsuitable as a pet, only unsuitable for certain families. The families who keep the dog busy, entertained and stimulated will get on well with one.

Now there has been another attack where a rottie attacked a little boy and was smashed over the head with a hammer to break up the attack. This dog was tethered in a garden but could still reach the baby boy. However, why was the dog allowed near the boy? and we don't know that the boy wasn't winding the dog up (perfectly innocently). If this is the case, he should have been better supervised and not allowed to aggrevate the dog.

DEFRA have said they are not reviewing the law on rotties as, in general they don't pose a threat.

Still the owners at fault if you ask me :rant:

Im sure read somewere that the child you are on about was hurt at his grandmothers house and she was looking affter the dog for someone, so why leave a small child with a dog i never know. I agree about the child must have upset the dog along the lines if not then why has it not gone for no one befor, and if im right in what i read then why did they agree to look after it in the first place if it is a nasty dog. Now i see people walk away from me because i have a rottweiler and she is the most tamed dog i had like i have said in a post about this, and you can see them watch my dog till they walked passed and you see that they are scared and i dont blame them as they dont know my dog but im fed up of people saying that all these dogs are dangerous. My neighbour got two yappy dogs i dont know the breed but they are very small long hair look like mops with legs as my neice calls them, and when he goes out with his dog's no lie they have a go and snarl and snap at people passing by, but because they are small i hear people just laugh has they are small dogs, now i wonder if my Rottweiler did the same i bet i have the police RSPCA and who ever els at my door.

I have a rotweiler client and believe me if this dog was a handful in anyway.theres no way would i offer our services to that client.

we have had this dog a number of times and she runs up to greet us and loves every minute of being here. Her owners are responsible and have treated her with the respect that a big dog and indeed any pet should have, and in return shes offered her faithful, passive loving nature :)

I find that people buy big dogs and let them get out of control and before they know it they cant handle the dog because of its size, then they start to get heavy handed with the dog slapping it , throwing things at it , yelling etc etc,and i really do think that when things get like that the dog will attack because with all the heavy handed treatment "Theyre knocking the devil in" as my gran would say

have had big-ish dogs all my life, mostly crosses, some rottie in there somewhere, all have been fantastic, the only small dog we have had is the papillon we have now, although he loves the family, he doesn't like small children, hates the postman, joggers, horses, men in general, i could go on. As long as he has a tennis ball on walks he's great, but he has seen off a mugger, the guys face was a picture!!!

I don't trust him with small children, he doesn't understand their bounciness, or heavy handed cuddles, he sees it as bad manners.

He's been trained etc just like the others, but he was born a 'grumpy git'

So to come to the point, we don't EVER leave him alone with small visitors, we loudly discourage children touching when we are out, we know our dog and take the neccessary precautions !!!!!!

A couple of my neighbours had 2 rotties and i`ve got to say they were brilliant, Bruce the elder one was a great big soft cuddly lump and as his tail hadn`t been docked he was the biggest waggiest dog on the planet, Later they got another one who who never grew to the size of Bruce but she was just as friendly and nice

They`ve both passed on now but i`ve got lost of good and funny memories about them, they were also very good with their 3 kids too.

My neighbour got two yappy dogs i dont know the breed but they are very small long hair look like mops with legs as my neice calls them, and when he goes out with his dog's no lie they have a go and snarl and snap at people passing by, but because they are small i hear people just laugh has they are small dogs, now i wonder if my Rottweiler did the same i bet i have the police RSPCA and who ever els at my door.
This gets right up my nose :rant:

Why is it okay for a small yappy think to come flying at a bigger dog, all fur and teeth, and then the owner of said yappy thing demand the destruction of the bigger dog when yappy gets bitten? :mad:

*... and breathe :roll: *

Ive got a Rottie and an Akita, Both are big softie's.

Any sensible dog owner knows not to let ANY DOG be alone with a child.

From AKITA to YORKSHIRE TERRIER

No matter what or how you bring up yours dogs they are like people all have off days.

What are people's views about rottwieler ownership. Do some (not all) rottie owners get one to make them look 'hard'? And is this right or wrong. I say wrong. It is the wrong reason to get an animal.

I can see this thread being a big debate. I once said something similar about staffies, as living where I live the majority of people that have them are people who dont work who hang round the streets all day looking scruffy. Not saying that applies to all owners, its just an observation where I live.

I wouldn't have brought this subject up though (im too scared lol!)

like pit bulls the easy way to know if a dog is a pit bull is look at the eyes do they have a glazed over look, is the forehead sloped back and boney is the nose squat and looks like its been pushed in?

if the owner has these characters on their face chances are the dog is a pit bull:thumbsup: