Does anyone keep their PC on all night ?

Whats wrong with serverS ? and a UPS?? I know many people the same... such as myself ;)

I used to, before I got Sky Plus, used to leave PC on overnight to tape late night WWE shows and PPVs, now I have Sky Plus I never leave my PC on overnight, only once when my Brother asked me if I could *ahem* aquire *ahem* him a few Dawson's Creek episodes for my sister in law.

Only time I turn mine off is when Im away on holiday. Otherwise theyre both on 24/7

Desktop downstairs is on all the time, laptop is on whenever I'm using it. There's another dekstop upstairs on the floor gathering dust.

My ex-hubby raised our electricity bill by £30 a month by leaving his PC, his G5 and the server running 24/7.

I would have been OK with one of them running, but at a time when we had to plan meals in the cheapest way possible due to financial commitments, running 3 and 3 monitors was a bit OTT to me.

mines on 24/7 but it's water cooled. It's running with only radiator fans and water pumps. I think that that saves on eleccy costs opposed to a PC with 7+ fans installed. I have alow power LCD screen aswell to save on power/cash.

Mine only realy gets turned off for windows and driver updates.

I've heard that the stress on powering on/off can cause more damaged to a PC than leaving it running ??? No idea how true that is but i recon it can.

________

Volcano Digital Vaporizer

Edited by Eric_Collins

mines on 24/7 but it's water cooled. It's running with only radiator fans and water pumps. I think that that saves on eleccy costs opposed to a PC with 7+ fans installed. I have alow power LCD screen aswell to save on power/cash.

Mine only realy gets turned off for windows and driver updates.

I've heard that the stress on powering on/off can cause more damaged to a PC than leaving it running ??? No idea how true that is but i recon it can.

Yes I heard that too, turning it on/off isn't good for it.

Monitors use over half the power in standby mode that they do when they're actually on- this is the same argument as turning tvs off at the set rather than leaving them on standby.

Not that's some serious setup... serverS (plural) and a UPS... your home seems like it might be geek heaven... :D

One big file server, dual opteron processor with 8 disks, real power hungry. Two Sun Ultra 80's and an an Alpha 433au.

The firewall is pretty low power, A Soekris embedded routerboard, if that makes up for anything :D. My house mate has two servers also. I cant really turn mine off overnight as they run some critical jobs, plus one does all the fileserving for home directories for my desktop machines.

I'm eventually looking to get rid of the Sun's, once I've ported the apps to FreeBSD from solaris. Also one of my desktop PC's is going this month, now I have my d420 laptop , I no longer need it so its being retired, the only justification I had for it was it was the only machine I run for Windows, but thats on my work laptop.

I'm trying to get the setup down to 2 servers, one desktop and a laptop. My housemate is doing the same.

Joel

Turn mine off after every use, and put the lid down.(Lap Top) Just like to be neat and tidy.:cool:

phone up and check your electric meter some have a three and some av a two meter reading so many kw,s at surtain times. as mine is a 2 its cheaper to use electric after 6 oclock at night and dearer in the day i only found this out the other day after changing suppliers. i leave my pc on all night downloading the bills seem to b the same.

dont know if this is same as other peoples ? but if your planning on leavein it on, phone and check with your supplier ..

My main desktop, my server (obviously) and my missus' desktop remain on 24/7. Her desktop is switched off if we leave for any decent period of time, but mine stay on as I'm always in and out of them remotely.

The monitors are switched off obviously.