Does anyone keep their PC on all night ?

I sometimes leave mine on all night, it goes into a kind of 'sleep mode' after ten min, surely it dosen't cost that much to leave it on, it's on all day long if i'm at it or not.

My attic computer is usually on all the time downloading stuff.

I used to, because the security scans are set to be carried out overnight.

To save on electric, I've started switching it off at night, and letting AVG automatically scan when I first switch it on in the morning. Windows Defender scans automatically at different times, but that's set to real time monitoring anyway.

If I do then I turn the screen off.

Server stays on (or at least it will when I get my house) 24/7 and just has all the power saving features turned on.

Main PC only stays on if I'm downloading something that takes along time. Otherwise I switch off at the plug, just powering down your PC doesn't turn it off....you can probably see keyboards, network cards etc lit up depending on the PC.

I only leave mine on overnight if i have big downloads going. If there's nothing that can't wait till morning it goes off. Same goes for when I'm out at work.

The estimated cost of leaving a single pc on overnight per year is about £100, so I guess you can make your own conclusions about per night...

Most of the PC's in our house are left on all night, and the servers don't get turned off unless we have a power cut and the UPS runs out.

Joel

mine stays on 24/7, unless I need to shut down for maintenence, I even leave it on when im away for a week, so I can then remote access the machine :)

...and the servers don't get turned off unless we have a power cut and the UPS runs out.

Now that's some serious setup... serverS (plural) and a UPS... your home seems like it might be geek heaven... :D

I would only really leave mine on to download at night as I was a shared connection with 4 others so I just used to leave it running overnight for big downloads

The estimated cost of leaving a single pc on overnight per year is about £100, so I guess you can make your own conclusions about per night...

You should be able to work it out. Get a power meter from Maplins then work out how much it costs you.