Who was/is the Best HeadMaster - who is Sheffield's Legendary Headmaster ?

On 01/10/2021 at 19:05, Blackburnrod said:

Alan Goodfellow at Wisewood in the 50s. He introduced O levels to secondary modern schools in Sheffield having previously  been second master at City Grammar on Leopold St..

I am in regular correspondence with Alan Goodfellow's daughter, Diana, who lives in Germany where she has spent her life teaching English. Her brother Rod is a regular reader of the forum. Their mother taught at Sharrow Lane Junior and the family lived just off Wolstenholme Road . 

I will pass your remarks on to Diana. 

On 16/03/2022 at 09:45, harvey19 said:

Miss Bates at Wisewood primary and junior school in the 1950s.

I second that! Also remember Mr Greatorex but not sure why? Perhaps because it was rare to see a male teacher in a primary school. Mrs Scrimshaw was a scary dinner lady. Had a crush on Miss Starling who left to get married!( Yes that did happen back in the day!)

43 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

I second that! Also remember Mr Greatorex but not sure why? Perhaps because it was rare to see a male teacher in a primary school. Mrs Scrimshaw was a scary dinner lady. Had a crush on Miss Starling who left to get married!( Yes that did happen back in the day!)

Mr. Lacey was a teacher at Wisewood and did Miss Starling become Mrs Mc?

Mr. Lacey had been a navigator in the RAF I recall. Every so often he used to climb a ladder to retrieve balls from on top of the boys toilet

Mrs. Mellor gave us dance lessons

These may have been teachers at the junior school.

Edited by harvey19

Do you remember going to Miss Bates' room to get new plimsolls?!(not pumps then!) Also going upstairs to see the nit nurse and get cod liver oil capsules and malt extract-yuk!

1 hour ago, lindylou53 said:

Do you remember going to Miss Bates' room to get new plimsolls?!(not pumps then!) Also going upstairs to see the nit nurse and get cod liver oil capsules and malt extract-yuk!

I remember going to Miss Bates room to be told not to wear long trousers when I had gone to school in them one winter day.

I do remember going upstairs to the clinic for malt extract .

I remember children being called out to the front of morning assembly on their birthday and given a bag of sweets.

On 17/01/2007 at 16:42, cbr900 said:

Mr Tracey , Eckington School , scary bugger.

I'd agree with this, commanded respect and got it, he sadly passed away just before Christmas.

On 16/03/2022 at 02:31, MallyMon said:

There MUST have been some good headmistresses?!  Or has our education system really always just been a patriarchy?

There were. At Sharrow Lane in the 40s and 50s we were blessed with Miss Vick in the Infants School and Miss Cole in the Juniors and Girls Seniors whilst Mr Davis (Davies?) was the redoubtable head of the boys junior and secondary schools. He wielded a cane. Miss Cole did not.

Because most men were in the armed forces from 39 to 45 female teachers were by far the majority. I think if you did a survey today it most certainly would  not show a patriarchy. The pendulum has swung and swung again. 

On 26/03/2022 at 18:34, lindylou53 said:

Been racking my brains and think Miss Jarvis became Mrs. McDuff.

Mr. Beresford St.Matthias 40's - 50's every time he came into assembly he was always scratching his backside.

I went to Southey Green Secondary Modern School 1956-1961. Head master was Mr (Pop) Kay. I have been through both topics about best Headmasters and poor old Mr Kay has not been mentioned. Not surprised really. He was like a little Hitler. Funny really none of the teachers are mentioned in the Best Teachers Topics either.

Enough said.