Who was/is the Best HeadMaster - who is Sheffield's Legendary Headmaster ?

Alan Goodfellow at Wisewood in the 50s. He introduced O levels to secondary modern schools in Sheffield having previously  been second master at City Grammar on Leopold St..

The best Headteacher for me was somone who wasn't the Head until I left school. His name was Mr Poore. He commanded such respect I was genuinely scared of him at times. 

Never violent, never unfair but boy he was tough. 

I never told him how much respect and dare I say it love I had for him. I just wish I'd listened to him a bit more instead of behaving like a pratt all the time. 

Pop Postlethwaite at Waltheof in the 60s/70s.  Not sure he was the best, but certainly a legend, with his terrifying commands:

"Little boy, get on the right...You boy, off the grass!"

I'll be forever grateful to him for suggesting to me that I ought to consider teaching as a career.  I did.  Attending Waltheof toughened me up to cope with the challenges of teaching kids at Ashleigh and Myrtle Springs.  Poacher turned gamekeeper!

My favorite teacher who really helped me along the way was Mr. Lesley Collinson RIP he taught me at Parson Cross School and Chaucer he also had a ballroom dancing studio in Hanover Square I bumped into him in Sheffield about 20 years after leaving school and straight away he recognised me and my name.

A lot has already been said about my head teacher Mr D Edwards at Hinde House and Mr Cook at Pyebank.

Teachers were quite bad tempered in my days, not all but an awful lot of them and they would regularly throw the blackboard rubber if you spoke during class one time it hitting me on the head.

These days they would be charged with Child abuse.

How things have changed, for better or worse that is another debate.

There MUST have been some good headmistresses?!  Or has our education system really always just been a patriarchy?

Guest makapaka
6 hours ago, MallyMon said:

There MUST have been some good headmistresses?!  Or has our education system really always just been a patriarchy?

Ms Drabble at brightside (mentioned earlier in thread) was good from memory - also ms cooper who was head of the lower school at king teds was hard but fair. 

Edited by makapaka

7 hours ago, MallyMon said:

Miss Bates at Wisewood primary and junior school in the 1950s.

Jimmy Edwards, headmaster of Chiselbury.

4 hours ago, lazarus said:

Jimmy Edwards, headmaster of Chiselbury.

Whacko! Lazarus, showing your age now boy!

echo

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

Whacko! Lazarus, showing your age now boy!

echo

YouTube I’m afraid.

Ken Cook  (Jordanthorpe Comprehensive School -1970's)  A very modern and progressive Headmaster for his time.