University advice?

Hi I'm wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice to me.

I'm currently working in a job I don't like and would like to go to University.

At the moment I don't have the necessary qualifications but am doing an English A Level part time and advanced ECDL (which I'm told is equivelant to an A Level). I'm hoping to start another one once these are complete.

I'm currently 20 years old and have been working for the past 4 years (since I left school) I would like to be there by the time 22/23.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done a similar thing to what I am trying do and if they can give me any help/advice on how they went about it plus any general advice. Also what qualifications they needed to get accepted.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi I'm wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice to me.

I'm currently working in a job I don't like and would like to go to University.

At the moment I don't have the necessary qualifications but am doing an English A Level part time and advanced ECDL (which I'm told is equivelant to an A Level). I'm hoping to start another one once these are complete.

I'm currently 20 years old and have been working for the past 4 years (since I left school) I would like to be there by the time 22/23.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done a similar thing to what I am trying do and if they can give me any help/advice on how they went about it plus any general advice. Also what qualifications they needed to get accepted.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, what do you want to study? I left school after GCSE's, went straight into work, did an NVQ level 2 which is only same level as a GCSE anyway, now a mum (I am 23), and hope to start college on 30th doing an Access course- there are various different courses but I am doing the Health Science course as if I complete it with enough credits I could apply to go to Uni doing something in the medical profession eg Nursing/ Physio etc... not thought that far ahead yet, think at mo I am sticking with nursing but it's 2 yrs away.

Most courses just need a certain amount of credits at various levels- I *think* level 2 are GCSE level, level 3 are a level or equiv. etc. Depends on the course- check out the Uni websites and see what is available and what you need. x good luck x

It depends on the university and the course you would like to take. I would advise you to check out their webpages and if you're not clear about the requirements contact admissions or the undergraduate secretary of whichever department you're interested in. If you're thinking of applying to start in Sept. you should hurry since all the A-Level students have been applying for places since November or so... but if you have the grades universities have to offer you a place anyway (only they might not be as lenient if you don't quite make it). Don't hesitate to contact the departments directly either.

About your job: if your job is OK but boring then I'd suggest you keep it (try to negotiate some reduction of hours or flexibility) as a fallback and while you get something else. Most students work now and graduate jobs are becoming increasingly difficult to get.

Good luck!

I am currently at uni (I'm 25), and I left school at 16. I would strongly recommend an Access Course. You can do them part time or full time depending on other commitments and all universities acknowledge them. I think they are equivilent to 2 or 3 A levels and you can do a huge variety of different courses.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck!!

If you know what course you want to be on, phone the admissions tutor of that department, they should be happy to have a chat with you about the requirements. It also gives you a contact within the university which can be invaluable.

I am currently at uni (I'm 25), and I left school at 16. I would strongly recommend an Access Course. You can do them part time or full time depending on other commitments and all universities acknowledge them. I think they are equivilent to 2 or 3 A levels and you can do a huge variety of different courses.

My brother did an access course and got a place at University upon completion, he graduates this summer so I definitely recommend it t you.

Sheffield Hallam Uni do a lot of foundation year courses (1yr) to give you the grounding for entry to undergraduate degrees.

There are quite a few different ways for mature students such as yourself even with limited academic experience post GCSE to get into Uni so go for it.

Also keep your Job you'll need it to fund your degree, Part-time or reduced hours will do.:thumbsup: