What shops would you like to see in Hillsborough?

There is no decent newsagent in Hillsborough - OK, a stall in the precinct has started selling newspapers but NOT quality magazines. There is no music shop anymore in Hillsborough - stopped after Andy's records went - Blockbuster picked this up for a while but only boring chart stuff - there are no decent men's clothes shops in Hillsborough - limited to Burton's with a tad added on by Peacocks as a way of tokenism; there are no decent book shops other than second hand books in the various Charity shops - so - wonder why Hillsborough is dying? Do you all go and buy these things from Morrison's, from Tesco, from Asda etc etc? We need to support our local businesses IF we wish free and fair trade to continue without being tied to the huge mega corps who seem to run our purchasing for us by ensuring that all these local businesses go out of business.!

I own the newsagents (Corner News) across from the Co-op, it has been a Newsagents for over a 100 years now, how can you not know it is there?

What do you mean by 'quality magazines'? If there is a title that you want, all you have to do is ask, and we will order it for you. Off the top of my head we probably have a range of around 250 magazines, which considering the size and shape of the shop is not too shabby.....

I think that hillsborough should have more childrens clothes shops because theres nothing now woolworths as gone and peacocks dont sell childrens anymore

I think that hillsborough should have more childrens clothes shops because theres nothing now woolworths as gone and peacocks dont sell childrens anymore

There's one on Taplin Rd.

A decent shoe shop

i agree, there are no decent shoe shops, also clothes shops seam to have diminished

We need a few more clothing shops ! maybe a highstreet chain selling for men/women and kids. I personally think we need a quality mens clothing shop, nothing too high brow, just good , across the board gear, catering for many. Something on the lines of Fatface. I also agree about Hillsborough records, the guy in there was always helpful, and did throw in a bargain or two in if you shopped there and he recognised you ! alas, he said he was another victim of internet shopping. We only have ourselves to blame, maybe we should look for a happy medium more, and shop half and half, I,m sure nobody would deny anyone of trying to find a bargain online, especially in this economic climate, but as we have seen , the fun of browsing and shopping variety has all but disapperared. . . . BORING !

Just one last thought , is there anywhere such shops could be housed, like a mini Forum on Division street ,Sheffield ?

We need a few more clothing shops ! maybe a highstreet chain selling for men/women and kids. I personally think we need a quality mens clothing shop, nothing too high brow, just good , across the board gear, catering for many. Something on the lines of Fatface. I also agree about Hillsborough records, the guy in there was always helpful, and did throw in a bargain or two in if you shopped there and he recognised you ! alas, he said he was another victim of internet shopping. We only have ourselves to blame, maybe we should look for a happy medium more, and shop half and half, I,m sure nobody would deny anyone of trying to find a bargain online, especially in this economic climate, but as we have seen , the fun of browsing and shopping variety has all but disapperared. . . . BORING !

Just one last thought , is there anywhere such shops could be housed, like a mini Forum on Division street ,Sheffield ?

Wouldn't that be a good use for the co-op

Yes i agree on that one !! :)

I do think home bargins is a great shop for hillsborough and always seems to do really well

I'd like to see the homebrew shop back!!

I do think home bargins is a great shop for hillsborough and always seems to do really well

Home Bargains is the death of Hillsborough. It has created jobs which is obviously a good thing, but how can other shops, especially independent ones compete with them?

They sell products far cheaper than we can buy them for, what chance does an independent store have.