Train station area

I think the new stuff looks good at the station... I would like to go for a splash about in it.

Thanks for the proper answers. Thanks for not answering at all Foo Fighter you'd have been better saving your fingers rather than writing nothing and trying to be superior.

Yes it isn't better in daylight builders still wandering round filling holes in. Oh by the way what was everybody singing and dancing about when you go pass. Steel still covered partially in wrapping and all you see is a steel wall. IF IT AIN'T READY WHY LAUNCH IT IN A FANFARE AND PARTY.

That's it's Sheffield council going off rush rush rush.

Will this be the next non event failure like the centre for popular music and Sheffield Airport.

I'm not sure it can fail. Its not as if no-one can use it and they have to close it down, its just an area. It'd be like saying Arundel Gate is a failiure for being a non event.

Isn't a shame though. In home home of Steel, that a large Steel structure outside the station was actually made in Wales. There SCC logic for you.

The steel was made in Sheffield but the structure was actually put together in Bristol.

Not only is that steel wall hideous to look at, it's totally impractical in that it stops you from crossing the road where you want to, which effectively means people missing their trains because they have to make a huge detour to the 'proper' crossing.

Not only is that steel wall hideous to look at, it's totally impractical in that it stops you from crossing the road where you want to, which effectively means people missing their trains because they have to make a huge detour to the 'proper' crossing.

You are supposed to cross the road at crossings if provided. Its hardly a huge detour between the old and the new crossing. I'd say its about an extra 30 seconds walking. If you time your travels to that accuracy youre bound to miss a few connections.

i think it would look and feel a lot better if someone would sort out those confounded taxis. parking all over the roads and pavements outside making walking to the carpark a fight for your life

Just to confirm, The Cutting Edge won't have running water down the road side of it, just the station side. The covering is due to completely come off in February, and the side nearest the wall will have an etched finish on it to stop glare for drivers. There's still some minor adjustments to make to it to ensure that the water runs evenly which it's not doing at the moment.

The 'hideous' steel wall is there to direct visitors in the heart of the city and to block views of the busy ring road that cuts just outside the station.

I certainly wouldn't risk my life running across that road just for the sake of a train. If you think you might miss your train then it's simple - Plan ahead!

I think it's a brilliantly successful design - for many different reasons and I expect it to win awards. When the new building goes up where Dyson house was and the new hotel where the NMB is, it'll be an even better space.

By the way, the sharp (Blades?) end of the cutting edge has a red light in it, while the 'O' end (for Owls?) has a blue light. Or am I reading too much into this?

Still no station bar yet though.