The Mystery of the Mill Stones in Derbyshire.....

Ok I have been walking many times in Derbyshire, and spotted these huge Mill Stones. Large 4 ft diameter wheel like stones with a 6inch hole in the middle. Around Fox House Surprise view there are loads.

What's the official score with these things.

How old are they?

Who made them?

What were they for?

How did they transport them?

Why is there some left out there?

How much do they weigh?

ASAIK they are left over from quarrying. The places you see them tend to be areas of millstone grit, and very close to old quarries, where they were dug out and carved before being transported to mills. They are VERY heavy which is one reason no-one ever hoiks them up and takes them home :lol:

They would have been left because they were faulty, or because demand dried up. Sort of a Monoliths Seconds and Reject Bin

Uses of millstones: for grinding of grain. Surely you knew that? :P

Originally posted by "cosywolf"

Uses of millstones: for grinding of grain. Surely you knew that? :P

Yes but for all I know these things could have been the wheels of a Prehistoric Go Kart :D

Originally posted by "cosywolf"

ASAIK

What's this mean? I am pretty naive when it comes to all this webchat lingo :lol:

Originally posted by "spook1210"

but why are loads of them still in situ? It's something I've often wondered, usually after tripping over them :)

Read cosywolf's answer.

PS IMHO ASAIK should be AFAIK.

Archived