Childhood Toys and Games?

Originally posted by "Jon"

I used to play subutteo, monopoly, lego and technic lego, the good old sega megadrive, good old Commodore 64 (!), and toy cars. i think my favourite that i spent the most time on was definitely Lego. i had a huge collection and spent hours making new things that weren't on the boxes, just letting my imagination run free. happy days
Don't forget capitals. .i .I :wink:

Indeed, but at least my mistake is laziness as opposed to poor grammar. :wink:

Originally posted by "t020"

I used to play subutteo, monopoly, lego and technic lego, the good old sega megadrive, good old Commodore 64 (!), and toy cars. i think my favourite that i spent the most time on was definitely Lego. i had a huge collection and spent hours making new things that weren't on the boxes, just letting my imagination run free. happy days

oh yes, I owned a Commodore 64 too, with the 'chocolate keys'. That is until someone nicked it when the house was robbed.

I used to play this pool game on it loads, can't remember what it was called. I can't believe the games ran off tapes! Needless to say my C64 is no more...

I did,nt have that many toys when i was a child....AHHhhhhh.

Well i did,nt but what i did have was a rifel (toy of course) and used to play Cowboys and Indians.

I had a Batman cape and used to play batman and Robin with mi mate.

I had Mouse trap bought me about 1966 but could never learn how to play it so i just messed with the plastic components.

My mate had a chemistry set though we called him proff, cause he was clever and a bit of a comparison to a mad scientist.

Me well i had a few wooden bricks and no shortage of match box cars and had an oblong wooden block called Steve Ankrill and my brothers was called Kolo Kartrini, taken from Man from U.N.C.L.E and we had a carpet in the room which had patterns that looked like roads and we used to play our cars for hours on these roads and create car chases.

Barbies and Sindys. They used to have little soap operas in which theyd get together with action men nicked from my brother. Ken looked too gay whereas action men were more manly cos they wore khaki and had fuzzy hair as opposed to kens very camp painted on hair.

Just thought about childhood toys and was gonna post a thread, but I did a search and found this thread from 10 month's ago. It seemed a bit under supported by people at the time. I know there are several threads in the same vein, some are OP'd on the Sheffield History & Expats Section.

My favourite toys as a child were

A Cowboy Cap Gun & Holster, together with a Belt and Holster

A largeish wind-up motor car, (like a Porsche) with a steering wheel complete with horn button working from a seperate wind-up key ( Made in the U.S Sector of Germany after WW2), and to top it off, a Hornby Dublo Electric Train Set (3rail system) with the "Duchess of Montrose" Loco and 3 Pullman Coaches...........

Which ones did you have?:)

Which ones are your children's favourites now, I wonder.:)

In the 60's, I loved playing with my Trik Trak .. a little car with plastic curves ..... just bought myself on off e-bay .......... didnt think I'd see one of those again.

that was one of my best toys to have scalextric I started out with just the 2 lane one at first but my dad then decided to make it bigger and it finnished up with 6 lanes and it also had the pit stops, hump back bridges, chicanes, banked curves,spectators, all of the buildings built from scratch and everything else that went with it even had the track lights on it. I use to race cars,motorbikes and sidecars,F1 racing cars,mini's,sports cars,just about anything I could race we would race and this was all in the 2 back bedrooms joined together as my dad bought the house next door to the one we had got so it was ideal for the scalextric, it also served well for my model railway layout my dad and my uncle had built for me which replaced the scalextric as I had grown tired of racing cars and such. I was into railways and 42 years later I am still into railways and I have done all the spotting of the loco's and collected all the coach numbers,wagon numbers,name plates anything to do with railways either in this country or a broad I have done it, and yes I hold my hands up and say I WAS AND STILL AM A TRAIN SPOTTER DIESEL'S & STEAM but I am also into BUSES now in a very big way and EDDIE STOBBART LORRIES.

I remember playing hours with the cut-out dolls - dressing them in the paper clothes with the little tabs on them. Also Ludo, Dominoes, snap. This was long before the days of colour telly, never mind computers!

that was one of my best toys to have scalextric I started out with just the 2 lane one at first but my dad then decided to make it bigger and it finnished up with 6 lanes and it also had the pit stops, hump back bridges, chicanes, banked curves,spectators, all of the buildings built from scratch and everything else that went with it even had the track lights on it. I use to race cars,motorbikes and sidecars,F1 racing cars,mini's,sports cars,just about anything I could race we would race and this was all in the 2 back bedrooms joined together as my dad bought the house next door to the one we had got so it was ideal for the scalextric, it also served well for my model railway layout my dad and my uncle had built for me which replaced the scalextric as I had grown tired of racing cars and such. I was into railways and 42 years later I am still into railways and I have done all the spotting of the loco's and collected all the coach numbers,wagon numbers,name plates anything to do with railways either in this country or a broad I have done it, and yes I hold my hands up and say I WAS AND STILL AM A TRAIN SPOTTER DIESEL'S & STEAM but I am also into BUSES now in a very big way and EDDIE STOBBART LORRIES.

BK...what a wonderful chidhood...and what a great Dad you had.......I am impressed. I too as a child had a trainspotter book. and used to spend hours with a couple of pals recording numbers, and on one occasion seeing the Flying Scotsman train coming through the Midland Station in Rotherham. We used to go to The Holmes to catch them. Unfortunately the Flying Scotsman train came through, but the engine attached was not "The Flying Scotsman" when it appeared........ah well. at least I saw the train itself.:)

shoeshine can you ever remember the flying scotsman making a stop at woodhouse station I am going back to 1972 it had been on a rail tour and was going back to sheffield midland but for some reason it stopped at woodhouse station also because it had got a load 16 on thats the coaches it was away out of the platforms and as I was stood on the side road what took you down to the iron bridge and on to woodhouse mill, the scotsman was towering above you but the funny thing about this was we all had a bonus because coming down the other track going towards kiveton was the evening star on a load 14 and the coaches was in the cholocate and cream stock. my dad and my uncle was jumping for joy mind you so was I when the evening star blew his whistle, this is the only time I have ever seen two steam engines at woodhouse and on stock. my childhood was a mixed one as my dad was into railways and he use to paint them in oils and watercolours, he tried is upmost to get me off the railways and in to a new hobby but he failed as I had a uncle who worked at doncaster station as a driver a top link one at that so when ever the school holidays was here I was shipped off to my aunty and uncle who lived in doncaster and spent most of my time on the station waiting for my uncle to arrive with his loco and stock and going onto the footplate for a cab ride to york and back. I have even been down to london on the footplate what a thrill that was so I think the railways are in my blood.