Dancing at the Shades nightclub

LOL - that would be some sight! I'm more of a Stones fan me sen - only did t' woollybully thing in vain hope of koppin' off with the girls. Now if you brought along a copy of Brown Sugar, I might turn up ........

Hi everyone, I was the DJ at SHADES for most of 1969. I installed a new sound system for Max in the spring, then took over from Jean who was the existing DJ, when she was taken ill. I never knew what happened to her, but you can blame me for the music... I moved to Essex in 1970 and lost contact with everyone, so if any of you have any stories to tell, or know anyone else who worked or went there I'd love to know. We had lots of bands while I was there, but the one I remember best was 'The Inner Mind' from Huddersfield - all white but great Reggae... I know Max went on to open Genevieve on Charter Square - named after his daughter, but I only went there twice on weekend visits - can anyone tell me when it closed? I don't remember Max having a son - he was probably born after I moved. All the best to everyone, Graham.

Know this is an old thread but its brought back some good memories. Me and my friend used to go there but were far too young really, about 14 I think. We went on a wednesday night but as it was a school night we had to catch the 11.20 circular home!!!! We progressed to shades from dobcroft youth club. Ahhh happy days.

Do I ever!! Well not so much dancing cos that place was tiny! But partying you bet. I was studying at Sheffield Teacher College at the time and my pals and I would often go there on the weekends. I remember going down stairs to the club, checking in coats then entering the main room which was always packed to the gills. My main memories are of when Joe Cocker was performing...man those nights rocked!! So sad to hear of his recent death.

I Saw a fantastic performance at the Shades from one of the original motown stars Marv Johnson. He was as good as any motown artiste I ever saw with the possible exception of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. Marv has passed on now bless him.

I had some good times at the Shades in the sixties, but remember that the police use to target the place, unjustly I thought, you could hardly walk out without being confronted by a copper.

Saw Desmond Decker there... And we did the Wooly Bully too!!

It was the best night club in Sheffield. Max used to say ' welcome to de house of love and friendship'

Great, great club of the late 60's. Good size dance floor, Friday Reggae Night, Wednesday Students/Nurses. Loved it. Max always with a smile on his face, the Ladies on the left hand side at the bottom of the stairs, Paul the 'bouncer' not that there was much bother.

Fantastic club in the sixties,isaw Lee Dorsey (Holy Cow etc) also saw Joe Cocker take over the stage from John Ohara one night.

On 18/01/2007 at 21:38, rubydazzler said:

Oh yes, just loved that Woolly Bully dance - although it always seemed to end up with some people falling over and dragging everyone else down with them. Watch it now, watch it now, here she comes, you gotta take a chance, you're gonna learn to dance, oh woolly bully etc etc (or words to that effect :D) Used to do it at the Mojo too, iirc.

Is Max Omare still around? Maybe he's a member of SF?