Any Music/Sound Techies out there?

Does anyone know which I'd be best with, a Shure Beta 87a mic, or a 87c? Should the quality of vocal reproduction be exactly the same? Also, Academy of Sound, City Road, Sheffield have these on back order, does anyone know of somewhere else that might have them in stock? - Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know which I'd be best with, a Shure Beta 87a mic, or a 87c? Should the quality of vocal reproduction be exactly the same? Also, Academy of Sound, City Road, Sheffield have these on back order, does anyone know of somewhere else that might have them in stock? - Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the local music shops, but there seem to be plenty of websites that do either of these mics - you could try this google (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22Shure+Beta+87a%22+OR+%22Shure+Beta+87c%22+site%3A.co.uk&btnG=Search&meta=) and see if it comes up with anything you're interested in.

Thank you, Sleepy Head.

really? wow! I was blown away by the beta 87a and ulx radio system. To think that a cabled version, substantially cheaper, will sound better is fantastic news.

I am a pro live sound engineer at the highest level.

Why do you feel you need a condenser?

They pick up more background noise than a dynamic mic and also the handeling noise is greater. Also, they are more likley to get 'spat out' i.e. full of spit and stop working until they dry out.

A condencer mic is basically a capaciter. Charged plates that move under the influence of sound waves create the signal. This is an AC, alternating current signal. The charge is the 'Phantom power'. It is, more commonly than not, seen on a desk as +48V, meaning volts. It is direct current and is delivered down both 'legs' of a balanced line. The AC signal 'sits on top' of the phantom, and the input stage of the desk 'filters out' the phantom power. If one 'leg' is missing, the signal is called 'half line'.

Phantom power can also be used to power DI boxes.

For most purposes, get a Shure SM Beta 58A. It's not without reason it has been around forty plus years, in various model names.

In fact, I think, the basic SM 58 is better for females, as they don't need the built in high end boost that the Beta has.

Cabled mics are far superior to radios unless you are going to spend a lot of money.

The most expensive I worked with was a rack mount eight reciever box from Sennheiser.

£50,000..........

Thanks for your post, GabbleRacht. That's pretty impressive.

I didn't realise how poor my mic was until I tried a friend's Beta 87. The 87 just seemed to be a lot more truer vocal production, picking up subtle nuances, that my mic hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of reproducing. It was much richer and seemed to help with the higher end of my range, I just loved the sound it gave. He used to use the mic I've got now, so I've heard both through his system, and there's just no comparison. I used an SM58 on Saturday, and wasn't impressed with the sound. Also, singing my more vocally challenging higher-end numbers seems to be a lot less hard work with the 87.

Cabled mics are far superior to radios unless you are going to spend a lot of money.

The most expensive I worked with was a rack mount eight reciever box from Sennheiser.

£50,000..........

I'd vote for the Sennheiser gear too. The radio mics they make are incredibly good, both in sound quality, and in build quality.

I used to engineer for a large swing band, and we use complete Sennheiser wireless pickups, the quality is really good, not to mention built to last, which, in the world of clumsy musicians, is a bonus. Shame they don't make them anymore. We used SM58's for vocals

I'd spend money on a decent mic, the SM58 is one of the best, if not THE best cable mic around, that and a good set of quality cables.

I'd go somewhere like ElectroMusic in Doncaster and ask if they will let you have a demo, they usually will. If your nice enough to them they might even let you loan one for a weekend so you can test them out. They are really good like that.

Joel

Joel

Thanks Joel, that's really good advice. I was impressed by the price at ElectroMusic. Noticed on their website though, that the Shure Beta 87s they have are UK imports. Are these the same mics you get from Sound Control, for instance, or do they have modifications?

They are probably the same, Electro probably import them themselves to save costs, but give them a ring and ask. I've used Electro for years and they have always been helpful and reliable.

Joel

Just spoke to Steve there, who says they are genuine imports direct from Shure, USA. Am going to trial mic on Saturday - yipee! Thanks for your help.