Any Music/Sound Techies out there?

Hi

I've got a studiomaster horizon 1200 powered desk that I use along with a sennheiser evolution condenser mic for singing. I'm looking to buy a Shure Beta 87a or c (not sure which yet) condenser mic but understand these work on phantom power. How does that work? Would I still be able to use my desk with the Shure Beta? Will I still be able to have other mics going through desk through normal channels, whilst using Shure Beta on phantom power? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

is there a sound engineer in the house???

the cry i've been waiting ten years to hear ...

lol

i'll just have a look at some specs for ur desk online then i'll get back to you

do you not know wot phantom power is at all?

i can explain that too if need be

:D

is there a sound engineer in the house???

:D

no but im sure we can find a muslim or two

ahem

for starters:-

MIC/LINE CHANNEL

Control panel diagrams are reproduced at the rear of this manual and it is recommended that these be consulted when

familiarising yourself with the location and function of the controls.

Each Mic/Line channel is fitted with balanced XLR mic and a balanced 1?4” jack line inputs. Do not use the mic and line

sockets at the same time. 48V phantom power may be applied globally to all Mic/Line channels by depressing the

recessed 48V switch in the master section of the console. Dynamic microphones wired for balanced operation may be

used when phantom power is active. If in doubt, check with the microphone manufacturer. When phantom power is

active all microphones should be plugged in before switching the console on. Before using a microphone with phantom

power active check it is designed for +48V operation. Unbalanced microphones must not be used in any channel

where Phantom Power active.

which sennheiser evolution condenser mic have you got?

e865, e908, e914?

Any balanced mic can be used when phantom power is turned on.

Unbalanced mics may be damaged.

Most top quality wired mics are balanced, the specs will tell you.

Careful with radio mics.

Anything on line inputs will not be effected at all.

yeah ur desk kicks out phantom power

i checked the manual online

u can use phantom powered mics alongside non phantom powered mics

phantom power is just some voltage most condenser mics need to work, it gets sent down the mic cable

your desk doesn't have phantom power for individual channels, it's either all on or all off

it's all in the manual anyway

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/studiomaster/manuals/vh-e.pdf

Many thanks for responses. To be honest, I'm not sure the exact model of the mic (doh!) but I will find out and get back to you. I was going to opt for the corded version of the beta 87a or c but the one I tried was a radio version. Do you have any idea if the corded will be the same sound quality? Also, should I still be able to use my wireless sennheiser mic and switch to it if I needed to, still coming through my desk, whilst I'm using the Shure Beta?

Hi - sorry can't seem to find out what actual model of mic is. It says ew100 on it - I bought it several years ago, and remember it was the top of that range, cost about 450 quid at the time, but I know now, it's not worth much. Had it repaired recently, and the guy at the shop, said it was definitely a condenser mic. Used to have a green band around it (i think) if that helps?!"$& It is a radio mic.

Any cabled version of a mic will sound better than the radio version.

Any cabled version of a mic will sound better than the radio version.

really? wow! I was blown away by the beta 87a and ulx radio system. To think that a cabled version, substantially cheaper, will sound better is fantastic news.