Visual Pollution

Along with many other households, the paper recycling 'Blue Bin' has recently been delivered. For the record I think recycling is a good thing. But, in a city noted for it's green suburbs, I object to the bright blue visual pollution caused by these bins. Not every household can hide them away, and not every household will even bother to remove them from the pavement. Would it have been beyond the intelligence of any resident to fill a smaller grey, or even green bin, with paper once a month? Or is it a crude statement by Onyx, so the councillors can see the bins on their travels (being the people who give the contracts), and charging the people who utlimately pay the wages to Onyx, us! My opinion is that it is an ego related thing, 'look at what I did, you can see my recycling bins for edited miles'!

have to agree with you there, ive always said it'd be better being green, i wonder if they'll allow people to spray paint them?

why dont you buy one of those scenic bin stickers you can get. A shop at meadowhall sells them. Its in the lanes bit. Theyve got photos of flowers and plants on.

This gives me a chance to voice one of my pet hates, and as you'll all agree I don't do that very often.

Caravans!!!!

Why are they always white? Why don't they make them in green or brown or some other autumnal colour? That way, when you see them on their sites they might, just might, blend in with their background. But no, they're white so they can be seen from miles away.

Agreed. I like caravans cos I spent a lot of happy holidays in them (much more fun than hotels) but I'm baffled why they're always white. Then again, a giant green box wouldn't be vastly better until they start designing curvier caravans (personally I think they should get Frank Gehry - http://www.frank-gehry.com/pics-2/pages/a11_jpg.htm to do some prototypes :D )

hey at least you've been given proper recycling wheely bins! Down here in the wilds of Fenland the local council don't give you a bin, you get ten black bin bags a year and a green crate for recycling which the contents soon get blown out of, Grrrrr!

The sooner I come back to Sheffield the better!

Who mentioned having a smaller bin???? We have filled ours last week with paper after a clear out of the attic :shock: .

Saying that though my next door neighbour is having a similar problem with the overflowing bin.

I would have preferred green. The blue seems to have a dayglo appearance.

When I lived in Sussex they had small boxes (like the ones they sell for a £1 for toys and such). You filled it with plastics and papers and it was collected every week!!

I would like to see a few more regular collections.

Moon Maiden

I would at least like to see the blue bins on my street.

Where's mine?

We have a small green one for plastic bottles and they come to pick em up evry week...Thought all of Sheffield had those.

Nope just the standard one

I wish they would hurry up and deliver one, whatever the colour. But I would prefer Green. It would fit in with the whole point of having one.

Originally posted by "Moon Maiden"

When I lived in Sussex they had small boxes (like the ones they sell for a £1 for toys and such). You filled it with plastics and papers and it was collected every week!!

we have that in sheffield as well :P