Rutland Arms, Brown St

The irony of it being on brown street was it used to be the gayest pub in town! Is it still or has dempseys got the gay crown? It is full of big fat hairy lesbians. Bring back the Coszack for a better class of gay!;)

I'm suprised the Cossack is still shut, it's on the main route from the station up into towm, the passing "trade" must be huge.

The cossack was turned into offices for the building work around Howard street, so it would take a lot of work to turn it back into a bar.

(Old thread, I know)

Well , it`s not going to close but..... :):love::):love::):love:

(Old thread, I know)

Well , it`s not going to close but..... :):love::):love::):love:

Fingers firmly crossed that everything works out.

Fingers firmly crossed that everything works out.

Yes, me too. I reckon it could get a lot better with a few tweaks. At the moment I think it`s very over-rated and has obvious flaws.

Sorry... I'm not sure I agree this is as good a thing as people are saying. Whilst undoubtedly the Rutland will improve (it has gone down a little recently) it is still already a good pub. I would have hoped Chris would have taken something that wasn't and added something to the Sheffield beer scene rather than just giving us more of the same. I also can't see why Chris would think of the Rutland as an improvement over the Shakespeare when it has less space, for both pub and music. Or for that matter why Blue Bee would want rid? It's their only free of tie pub isn't it?

I'm sure we would all have loved it if Chris had taken the Roebuck (for example) - and given us somewhere else to go. That said I do wish them well and I will be in the Rutland regularly. But then I already am...

I`m sure they`ll improve it significantly. (Kate is equal partner, I`m sure). Gotta be a good thing.

I`m sure they`ll improve it significantly. (Kate is equal partner, I`m sure). Gotta be a good thing.

I'm sure it will. But you gotta admit, an alternative venue to add to the area would have been better. Really can't believe none were available. Given the other threads on pubs closing.

But you cannot improve it that much apart from the ales, which probably have less Blue Bee, it isn't that big and space is a problem, people sit round the bar and make it difficult to what's on. Its smaller than Shakespeare so will never be on the same level.

I'm sure we would all have loved it if Chris had taken the Roebuck (for example) - and given us somewhere else to go. That said I do wish them well and I will be in the Rutland regularly. But then I already am...

Roebuck is crying out to be taken over, this pub could have a lot of potential, I was in there this week and half pumps empty, the place was empty and its in a area for a pub walk/stagger. I can see this pub in a short while closing, which will be a shame.

But you cannot improve it that much apart from the ales, which probably have less Blue Bee, it isn't that big and space is a problem, people sit round the bar and make it difficult to what's on. Its smaller than Shakespeare so will never be on the same level.

Roebuck is crying out to be taken over, this pub could have a lot of potential, I was in there this week and half pumps empty, the place was empty and its in a area for a pub walk/stagger. I can see this pub in a short while closing, which will be a shame.

Careful Pete - you're getting dangerously close to agreeing with me :)

Careful Pete - you're getting dangerously close to agreeing with me :)

I do sometimes agree with you, but not always .. like to sit on the fence :)

Given the choice, if it was your money you were putting in, would you put it in somewhere like the Rutland which has a decent reputation but admittedly needs a bit of a change anyway, or sink it into a pub that's been struggling for years like the Roebuck with no guarantee that it'll make any difference once you've ploughed all your cash in.

Got to applaud them (and anyone else) that's prepared to take on a pub these days. Hope they make a success of it (which I'm sure they will)