Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, alternative to surgery?

I've been diagnosed with CPT and been offered surgery. I don't particularly want to go down this road as I'll have to take time off work, I won't be able to type or play on my DS and by generally bored! Amongst other reasons.

The only other alternative I've been offered is pain management but I don't want to be taking tablets just to get through a day.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives? Anyone had any experience of other methods of treatment?

Thanks!!

Acupuncture is sometimes worth trying.

Do you drink alcohol or smoke as these two make it worse apparently.I'm having both of mine done hopefully soon but not at the same time !!!(I don't want the wife to get to know me that well !!!!:D:hihi: )

I had this in the 90s and i didnt want them cutting into me so i devised a way to cure it.

Its not complicated and it works fast although it is painful at first.

My hands were completely cramped up with it and i couldnt drive or anything, the doc gave me a few injections of cortizone into the palms of my hands while i was on the waiting list for the ops. I thought bugger that and devised the cure and it worked, I havent had any trouble at all since then, and ive helped quite a few people with it over the years.

Sorry i forgot to mention, pvt me and ill let you know how the cure works if your interested and dont fancy surgery.

I think it can depend on the severity of the carpal tunnel. I had it quite mild so the Doctor gave me a steroid injection into my wrist which has completely eliminated my symptoms.

So I would ask your Doctor about a steroid injection. It might be that he/she feels this would not help in your case though.

have it done. the result & permenance is worth it.my wife had one done , went on holiday 2 days later(with precautionary measures) went back to work after the weeks holiday for 6 weeks then had the other one done.

obviously being careful after the surgery is paramount but i don't recall she had to abstain from anything during recovery.

Had mine for about 18 months and was never offered surgery. I used a splint type of brace over the hand and wrist and took painkillers when necessary. With rest and stopping knitting the inflamation subsided and has never returned.

Sorry i forgot to mention, pvt me and ill let you know how the cure works if your interested and dont fancy surgery.

Can't yet but would appreciate a cure! Had an injection about 18 months ago fantastic for about 6-8 months. Pregnancy has made the condition worse can take upto 30 min to reagin movement in the morning and is very painful especially at night.

Any help or advice would also be appreciated!

Can't yet but would appreciate a cure! Had an injection about 18 months ago fantastic for about 6-8 months. Pregnancy has made the condition worse can take upto 30 min to reagin movement in the morning and is very painful especially at night.

Any help or advice would also be appreciated!

Well its a simple cure that worked for me and works for others.

All you need is a three foot length of string and a stick thats about a foot long. Tie one end of the string to the stick and the other end to something that weighs about a pound.

Sit with the stick in your lap with the string and weight stretched out in front of you.

All you have to do is use both hands to slowly wind the string around the stick until all the string is wrapped around the stick. Do this part over hand.

Then stand up and unwind it until the string is all gone from the stick.

Do that each day and in a week or two the pain will be gone and your fingers will have full mobility again.

I know it sounds daft but it worked for me- my hands were like claws and i had trigger finger along with the CTS and after a week or so with that my hands were normal. I stopped doing the exercises once the pain went and Ive never been bothered with it since, almost 10 years ago now.

To say that for three years before that I was in almost constant pain from the CTS thats not bad going is it?

Now everyone who gets it gets this advice from me and its worked every time, its GOT to be better then the injections or the operation.

I wear wrist braces through the night...they stop the pain at night and help with movement during the day too :)

I was given braces about 3 years ago before CTS was diagnosed, I was also given a steroid injection about 8 weeks which helped.

The doctor was basically not very sympathetic adn just sort of told me that unless I'm prepared to take pain relief than my option is surgery.