Review: Thyme Cafe, Broomhill

As soon as we walked in it felt very good.

That was the last time though. From then on it just got worse. Here's the sequence of events:

Walk through the door, greeted and shown to table

Wait at table while they clean it (very Little Chef)

Sit down...

Wait...

Wait...

Wait...

After sitting for 15 minutes with no drink, we wonder... why is no-one taking our order despite 5 waiters hanging around?... s'cuse me, what's happening, can you take our order?

"You have to order at the counter"

WHAT!!!!!

Person I was with says... "they took our order at the table when we came in at lunchtime the other day" :confused:

Go to counter... trying to remember the order

"What table are you sitting at?"

That one (points, expecting to be asked for a table number - luckily for her she didn't)

"Can I take your card for payment now?

WHAT!!!!!!

Do I look as though I'm about to leg it through the toilet window?

"No, we always do it?"

WHAT!!!!

Then the food...

Bread and dips: Frozen bought in bread. Tasteless beetroot humus and pifflingly weak chilly oil. Not a good start.

`

A £9 beef-burger with inedible, salty frozen fries and lettuce dripping with water served on a board, a la plank steak - which it is definitely not. Rubbish.

Meat and potato pie. Not too bad at all! In fact pretty good, if too huge for one person.

"Everything OK for you?"

No... the fries are too salty - i can't eat them

"Ah yes, they are really salty aren't they - I had some earlier"

WHAT!!!!!!

The staff looked a little perplexed when I didn't leave a tip as I stood and paid at the counter - and even double checked the table.

Not impressed. Rubbish implementation of a rubbish concept. Won't hurry back.

The overall impression? More Transport Caf' than Bistro Café.

I’m amazed that Sheffield people accept this shoddy concept so gladly. Mind you – Slammers was popular for a while too until it was sussed... and then it closed.

In general, people looking for a problem usually find one. Thyme Cafe is excellent, and a great atmosphere.

People who complain are usually small men with a failing career (odds on a teacher).

Guest sibon
In general, people looking for a problem usually find one. Thyme Cafe is excellent, and a great atmosphere.

I like it too.

People who complain are usually small men with a failing career (odds on a teacher).

He's considerably older and wiser now.

If you can read dates, thank a teacher:roll:

We popped in for tea last week having not been for a while.

Food was OK but my god it is expensive in the current climate.

We had 3 cokes (horrible mixer coke - not proper stuff) which were an eye watering £ 2 each and a water and an apple juice which were same price.

Bread and hoummous £ 3 , olives £ 3 ...

2 fish and chips at £ 12 per portion and a lamb kofta at £ 12 also.

Total £ 52 ...

Guy who runs it was a little off when I asked if the burger (my first choice) can come medium rare , " no , we have to cook them through" was the answer , " you can have them like that or well done".

Now that tells me the burgers are not in the slightest bit fresh and probably not made on the premises.

So fish and chips it was.

We had to wait ages between the nibbles and the mains - like 30 minutes.

Considering we were the second table in on an early midweek night , not sure what happened...

Place itself seems a little tired and scruffy, I guess some people view this as "character"?

Fish and chips were OK - lamb koftas were very solid and only warm - tasty though.

I wont be going back , the prices are just outrageous.

Most places at the moment are offering some kind of early menu or special offers - perhaps Thyme cafe is either living on its prior reputation (I have been before and thought it was better) or just the good footfall it gets.

They did not get a tip.

I personally don't get the hype of Thyme Cafe. Very overpriced for what it is.

I don't mind paying a bit more but not for the sake of it.

You must get a fair few complaints then, as the only people I know who go there are all teachers - or should I say 'went', now? :)

I personally don't get the hype of Thyme Cafe. Very overpriced for what it is.

I don't mind paying a bit more but not for the sake of it.

Yes, this post.

I've not been that often but when I have I've always had an odd feeling of 'mutton dressed as lamb' about the place. It tries to be a superior eatery with superior prices (fair enough) and yet it doesnt quite hit the mark. Dont get me wrong there are far worse places out there but I've always left underwhelmed...

you want to try old grindstone,home made food only £ 3.25,for a good meal.

I went to the Thyme Cafe many times when I lived in Broomhill, and I have nothing but praise for it. I know that the prices are fairly high, but it is good value as you get what you pay for - the fact that it is ALWAYS busy is testament to this. Good food, good atmosphere, and good service. It also has a nice little garden at the back. Recommend!

Is this guy for real? What a complete tool!