Road pricing & congestion charging (and the No 10 petition against it)

Don't get me wrong :)

I agree in principle, I'm just a bit concerned about the knock on effects that it would have. The general concept of pay-per-mile on fuel is fantastic and would cut bureaucracy down incredibly.

Precisely, you've got it.

It would make the Government unpopular, i.e 'another tax hike' and put a lot of people out of work because we wouldn't need the bureaucracy.

So, instead, the government say ' track vehicles '. Creating more jobs.

Like I said in the other thread, do you really think that someone who is not willing to pay road tax and insurance now, and gets away with it, will be willing to pay a bill for congestion charging through having a tracking system installed?

I don't think so.

Even if it is not done by tracking but number plate photography, you can bet your life your LEGAL plates will get stolen.

Mine have been stolen by people in a vehicle involved in an armed robbery.

I was in very hot water for a time. And the police seized my car and had to pay to get it back.

So, the tax, insurance thing, in my opinion, works.

BTW this would probably work in favour of younger drivers as your insurance costs would be nil and get subsidised by the older drivers who pay less now. Just we would all be protected.:thumbsup:

The Government have realised that it is something that is unavoidable and inevitable, so lets slap a tax on it. Guaranteed earner.

Of course, this is only true given a terminally stupid population, who don't have enough sense to live and work closer together.

Yeah, you're right, it's inevitable. :rolleyes:

1 car per household

that'll work well when both adults work and in different cities.

i lived on the wybourn went to wybourn school from infants to seniors,& could walk to school,nowdays most kids have to have transport to get to their schools.all down to goverments shutting schools down & forcing people to travel further

that'll work well when both adults work and in different cities.

this goverment wants cars off the road & they will get them off they just want to get some more£££££££££££££££ first

Can't see why we should be too concerned about this proposal, - 'cos that's all it is at the moment, just a proposal. Such a scheme will be heavily dependent on "IT" and so will be virtually impossible to implement, given the govt.'s past performance on such projects.

I'm quite confident it will not happen in my lifetime. Metropolitan congestion charging as used in London OTOH will probably spread countrywide within the next ten years or so.

If it don't happen soon it will happen later.

Just another nail in the coffin of the less well off.

So DO something.

Take a leaf out of the french book - 'You Murst be Yoking You Bladdy Reech Peeg'.

This book advocates mass rioting and road blocking if their government or the E.U. even thinks about raising the price of frogs' legs or tortured duck..

Remember the poll tax riots? Is this scam of road tolls not equally despicable? If you want to preserve your freedom you'd better become an over-night activist - either that or buy a bike..

Is Prescott going to trade his Jags for an old Fiesta? Likely!!

That would really be a move towards reducing greenhouse gasses.

Why not? - Why not limit car engine sizes to 1300cc?

Does anyone really think that government gives a screw about the planet?

If they can't have the whole world -- nobody can...

They just want the whole business of getting about making easier for them.

As for the rest of us -- do I need to say??

This time it's for real.

This is the showdown to end showdowns.

DO SOMETHING..

Start by writing to your M.P. It'll cost you a few pence - go on and DO IT.

Inundate them - let them see that, just as in the poll tax affair, we brits will take a lot of crap - then - BANG!!!

Otherwise - kiss your wheels bye bye.

Or at least, prepare to exchange them for two.

Can't see why we should be too concerned about this proposal, - Quote;=

====================================================

Be careful that your own motto doesn't come and bite you in the arse Greybeard -

Indifference to public affairs etc etc!!!

Ok, im not usually one for viral email passing on etc, but check this out. As some of you may know there are consulations going on about the idea of road toll charging by method of 'black boxes' placed within your car that log everything about your movements. Now, this would feedback what you have been upto and you would be charged according to the time of day and where you went. This is in my opinion a crazy idea. We already have a similar system of toll charging by fuel tax, the more we go the more fuel tax we pay so we dont need another. Plus with the ability to monitor your speed etc it would only be a matter of time before this info was used for other purposes.

If you dont agree with this idea please sign the petition below. I have done so and I hope you do too. It would also help if this was passed onto other related sites etc if they have not seen this already..

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax