Hi Pietro

Thank you for your info on Caimbridge St. The before and after pics. Have saved them they are very good . I am getting a lot of help from over there and appreciate it

Regards Vera

Tony moderator,

Sorry if I am on the wrong page here but thanx for helping me check my messages (re search button).. Finding myself around this slowly 'so different from what I am used to.

Regards Vera

Originally posted by vhopkinson

Hello says me laughing as a young girl I worked next to the Barley Corn at George Binns. clothiers. Too young to understand the (*goings on) there. I do remember Russian Edna who used to go in there. She was murdered in High Hazels Park.

Remember the pie shop too next to Geo. Binns. Are these buildings still there.

Aussie Friend

i remember reading a book which was not so long ago. i think it was called the sheffield murders. and it stated that the last man to be hung was william smedley who murdered russian edna.

also the first man to be hung was also called william smedley. what a coincidence. i think she murdered on spring street.

i'm told the sex pistiols played in the swan in 1976,don't know if its true though

Originally posted by kirky

i'm told the sex pistiols played in the swan in 1976,don't know if its true though

True.

They were supported by the Clash who were making their gig debut.

i am quite offended regarding the comment about terry steeples, my father. He was a very good landlord and made sam smith brewery more money than any of there landlords ever. If the beer was watered down why did you bother to go drinking there, as there were many other pubs in the area. and for the record he is not longer over weight.

Greetings to you smiler4689, I posted a question on another thread regarding your dad, what happened to him, I bumped into a comedian in a hotel in Leicestershire earlier this year, a small round man with curly hair who'd been in a band 'Frankenstiens Monsters' I think and I'm sure he told me your dad had moved away to the coast or maybe abroad.

I have fond memories of the Mucky Duck and your dad from the early seventies, if he's still around tell him an old customer sends his regards

Terry Steeples was a true character one of the best landlords ever in Sheffield City Centre, does anyone remeber Mick Nolan the last landlord of the old Mulberry? it closed in about 1975 and was redeveopled the new pub being opened by Mick Lee in late 1976. I worked for all three of these guys and it was a privelidge.

The town center pubs of the 60,s are sadly now history but what great memories and the characters that used them.Pubs that I used were the Elephant in fitzalan square,The Bell Fitzalan Square,The Bell up the entry on High St,Red Lion West St was it the Wharncliffe opposite also The Foresters,The Abert,The Saddle,What was the name of the pub halfway down the Moor that sold Newcastle Brown Ale?.What great nights in summer touring round all these and many more town pubs drinking halves of best bitter.
would that pub be the angel on the right hand side going down the moor or the travellers on the left ?

terry steeples mucky duck merry england gave every body a brilliant time out in sheffield.fantastic guy god bless you terry.

I remember Tery Steeples chucking a bloke out of the Penny Black one dinner time. The place had just had a brand new carpet down in the it was a thick pile axminster and these two blokes walked in who had just been to the tackle shop in the wicker Cacotts ???? anyway one of them decided to check on the maggots he`d just bought and was struggling with the lid. You can guess the rest maggots everywhere nestling down in the 2 inch thick pile He went crackers, can`t say I blame him either

The Mucky Duck, back in the late 60s, must have sold the vilest pint of bitter in Sheffield. You could see the barmaids catch all the slops and top your pint up with them :gag:

It was very popular because it had all the top acts on but the beer was disgusting - not even fit to put on your chips.

Been in to town today - first time for a while and have noticed the black Swan is no more but something called the Broadwalk. I wonder what happened to the statue of the swan in front of the door?