Ruth Kelly opts for a private education for her child.

The problem seems to be that the parent is able to have the choice to meet the individual needs of their child as long as the parents can afford £15, 000.

Most people do not have that option...therefore as an ex secretary of state for education, Ruth Kelly is admitting that the state system is not meeting the needs of pupils with learning difficulties, which was originally part of her brief. By sending her kid to private school she is stating that she was a failure in her previous post.

Promotion anyone?

I don't get the comment about Ian Huntley, Myra Hindley, Peter Sutcliffe. Maybe cos I've got my logic head on today, I don't understand how it is relevant to the point about manners previously. If they have manners, therefore they won't kill or do terrible things ?? :confused:

It's a continuum baby.

"Manners maketh the man" is not an empty aphorism.

Manners, politeness, consideration for others are all symptoms of someone who gives a toss about other people.

Lack of manners, politeness, consideration for others are all symptoms of someone who doesn't give a toss about other people.

You do not need to speak like Queenie Leavis, or bow and scrape like an 18th century courtier to show manners and consideration; you simply need to have learnt the meaning of empathy.

When manners and politeness go down the tubes then you do not have a society, you have a collection of craven individuals.

Baby ? Alright, I'll let that patronism go. :P

I never thought of manners as that way. Consideration depends on at which angle you view it. Some people have been considerate, but expects others to be the same. Yet, others had shown consideration, but people do not recognise it. *shrugs* How do you really judge ? Is it more considerate if you do things which the other person expects ?

Empathy should be shown in the right time and manner, and depending on your true feelings to the other person. It's part integrity of that person, isn't it. It shouldn't be a habit, done just purely in the name of ettiquette only. I know a lot of people network socially, and for that reason alone, but it shouldn't mean that people cannot create healthy relationships with their fellow human beings. I mean that in a deeper level, and not just social civilities.

Most people do not have that option...therefore as an ex secretary of state for education, Ruth Kelly is admitting that the state system is not meeting the needs of pupils with learning difficulties, which was originally part of her brief. By sending her kid to private school she is stating that she was a failure in her previous post.

Not necessarily. Some schools are better than others. It may just be that the local school to her cannot provide the things her child needs and she may not meet the criteria to go to another more suitable local school out of her area. (out of area / waiting list etc.)

If she did that then I'm sure people would criticise her for using her powers to get a placement.

Her child was attending a school and they have since decided to remove him. I would have thought the LEA were duty bound to ensure the child was supported in situ instead of being moved out.

Perhaps the LEA was providing just the basic requirement. If I had a child with special needs I would seriously make all efforts to move them from my old school.

This is surely another example of how ministers are simply out of touch with the common man (or woman before I get shot down)

I don't recall who said it (possibly on these boards), but I second the idea that politicians should be more financially representative of the electorate.

How on earth can anyone take the likes of "just call me Dave" Cameron seriously as a 'man of the people' when he has

more homes than Barratts, and an upbringing so privileged that even a WAG would blench. I also detest the fact that far from being new and refreshing, the Tory party is the same old boys public school network it ever was.

As Hazel Blears said of Cameron

"I’m pretty sure I don’t want 21st-century Britain run by people who went to just one school"

I too would like to see more people in politics having some notion of the reality of life for the majority. Unfortunately, some MPs who haven't come from a privileged background, seem to forget that once they have a position of power! John Prescott for Minister of Education anyone? :suspect:

As far as the Tory party are concerned, I would expect them to send their children to private school if they have the means. They believe in educational choice, including the retention of grammar schools, unlike the Labour party's one style fits all style of comprehensive education (unless you happen to be an MP and can afford it).

Ms Kelly was educated at private school as well.

I know a lot of people network socially, and for that reason alone, but it shouldn't mean that people cannot create healthy relationships with their fellow human beings. I mean that in a deeper level, and not just social civilities.

Most people co-exist using 'social civilities'. You may have 10 close friends, but you are likely to have a 100 nodding acquaintances. Politeness means not just "please" and "thank you", but a whole attitude where you make an effort to make other people feel welcome, at ease etc, even if you don't know them. Especially if you don't know them.

You'll never get to know anyone on a deeper level if you or they lack these skills. Skills that must be taught with an emphasis on their importance, and not relegate politeness to the status of "etiquette", widely used as a social bludgeon. (the wrong fork for fish, this gazpacho is cold etc).

Not necessarily. Some schools are better than others. It may just be that the local school to her cannot provide the things her child needs and she may not meet the criteria to go to another more suitable local school out of her area. (out of area / waiting list etc.)

If she did that then I'm sure people would criticise her for using her powers to get a placement.

and when she was secretary of state for education was it not her job to ensure all schools provide for the needs of their pupils?

It is ok if you have the money to fork out 15 grand but what do other parents do in the same situation? It is stating that the sytem is not working and you are a member of the government charged to make it work!

Kelly is guilty of double standards as per usual...no doubt in her Opus Dei meetings she will be lauded for her 'painful' decision. Kelly has dodgy views on a number of issues and quite frankly I am surprised that she is still a member of the Labour Party or is allowed to remain a member of the Labour Party but hey....Opus Dei has all the right contacts;)

Phanerothyme: This is where I am kinda wound up by all these so called civilities, but ends up with no substance, or solid foundation of a healthy relationship.

I read a book on Dutch social ettiquettes once, and I thought that it's quite nice to be treated with respect and to get involved in the community, but then again, it is beyond ettiquettes, but borders into expectations and doing things for the sake of doing them, and not because you want to, or mean to with your heart. So I'm thinking, (and I've seen this kind of behaviour happened to me too), which is that, so called aquaintances/friendships are dropped when you don't keep in touch, or had personal problems of a nature which you don't wish to share to everyone. :confused:

So... give me manners, then I'm your bestest mate, but if you don't keep up the communication, then its bye bye ? I like to think that it is between people, and where their relationship is at.

You'll never get to know anyone on a deeper level if you or they lack these skills. Skills that must be taught with an emphasis on their importance, and not relegate politeness to the status of "etiquette", widely used as a social bludgeon. (the wrong fork for fish, this gazpacho is cold etc).

We all play roles in society, true. However, it should be noted that it is still down to individuals how they are towards others, and it is still a personal choice, and not a duty socially as such. I never understood the emphasis on others needing to make people feel particularly welcoming. Going way out of their way. Well, it's not necessary. I'm sure that people are old enough individually to create relationships with people whom they feel they can connect to, or wants to. It gets worst, when this is not recipricated in return. :loopy:

Well, you certainly made a point, which I found quite interesting. Cos I never saw it that way.

It's irrelevant! It's what she does at work that matters.

You mean like telling all the parents of other dyslexic children within that particular LEA that provision for thier children is inadequate but if they don't happen to be able to afford £15k a year then they'll just have to do without? Some sort of equality that is :(