Appeal: Premature baby knitting

....I have loads of dolls patterns, so if anyone wants me to scan and post them, let me know.:)

Just to come over all official and group-leader-ish for a minute...

The copyright of a pattern generally allows a photocopy to be made for the user's own personal use (such as when you want to highlight or mark sections of the pattern, but don't want to spoil the original). Scanning or photocopying patterns for distribution to others is an infringement of the copyright of the pattern's author/publisher. It's something that the SF Knitting Group doesn't condone.

Wheezy, I'm not telling you off, as I'm sure you didn't know about it. I'm just taking the opportunity to make everyone aware of the situation.

I'm sure I DID know about it somewhere at the back of my small brain Hecate, but it slipped out for a coffee break! Thanks for the reminder and sorry for any trouble:blush:

I'm sure I DID know about it somewhere at the back of my small brain Hecate, but it slipped out for a coffee break! Thanks for the reminder and sorry for any trouble:blush:

LOL No trouble :) .

Copyright can be a minefield sometimes, and it's easy to forget what applies to what. For example, even though Knitty patterns are free, you can't make the items to sell, as that infringes the copyright of the designer.

LOL No trouble :) .

Copyright can be a minefield sometimes, and it's easy to forget what applies to what. For example, even though Knitty patterns are free, you can't make the items to sell, as that infringes the copyright of the designer.

As a retailer I cannot provide multiple copies of Knitty patterns for distribution to my customers. I just tell them where to look and show them a small sample of what they can get. Some of the patterns I sell do not allow copies to be made but do not restrict you from making items to sell. Others state quite clearly that this is not allowed. If we knit up a garment for anyone then they have to buy the pattern or pattern book - even if they do not want anything else from the book. Can be a bit off-putting if the pattern book costs £7.50 or so. However, this is how designers make their money and they are entitled to receive it through pattern sales. Phew - must have a lie down now....

No you don't Jill, you have a shop to open! WAKE UP:rant:

Thanks for all the links Hecate.

I've just made the hat from the Bliss website pattern and the Bootees from one of the others, and they are soooooooo small!

Are we going to arrange a central collection point, or nominate a particular preemie unit, or should we send things to the Bliss address?

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the links Hecate.

I've just made the hat from the Bliss website pattern and the Bootees from one of the others, and they are soooooooo small!

Are we going to arrange a central collection point, or nominate a particular preemie unit, or should we send things to the Bliss address?

Any ideas?

The Bliss web site asks for knitted items to be sent directly to the knitter's local neonatal unit in order to keep Bliss's costs down. I was gong to email to ask for the address of the Sheffield one, though I think I'll post now in the SF Parenting group, as they might come back with an answer sooner. Infact, I'll do both, just in case :). I'll post the info here when I get a reply.

Is everyone happy with sending knitted items to the Sheffield neonatal unit? I know we have non-Sheffielders in the group. If anyone wants to send preemie knitted items to their own local unit, the email address of the Bliss contact can be found here. I won't post her email address on here directly to avoid it getting picked up by the evil email-harvesting spam bot thingies which seem to patrol forums.

Here's the address of the Sheffield Neonatal Unit:

Jessop Wing

Tree Root Walk

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S10 2SF

Thanks to babychickens in the Parenting Group for the information :) .

Is everyone happy with sending knitted items to the Sheffield neonatal unit? I know we have non-Sheffielders in the group. If anyone wants to send preemie knitted items to their own local unit, the email address of the Bliss contact can be found.

Yes, I am happy with this unit. Thanks Hecate for the address.

I just downloaded the patterns from the Bliss site and will start with the little hat with some wool I used for baby booties before.

Hi all

I've just rung the neonatal unit in Sheffield to clarify what kind of things they are actually looking for at the moment, and I've been given the name of someone who would receive them. She said to give her a call and we could either take them in, or if we post them, to make sure you put your name etc on so she can get back to you.

The lady told me that they tend not to use mittens and bootees any more, but cardigans and blankets and hats would all be great.

The preference would be for the smaller blankets (15" plus I think), but for cardis and hats, she said that they often run out of the larger sizes, so anything from the tiny 2lb baby size up to full term sizes would be lovely.

Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by doing this, but I just wanted to make sure I was knitting the right things. :)

Thanks for the information, Beancounter, and for going to the trouble of getting in touch with them :) .