Appeal: Premature baby knitting

The charity knit item got me thinking, if each of us knitted an item for a designated hospital (premature baby unit) they would have the best dressed babies in town! What does anyone else think?:love:

Don't know if anything like this has been done before, just thinking outloud.:rant:

What sort of things to they wear? I know nothing about premature baby units (or premature babies, come to that). Don't they just wear those cotton all in one things and a hat? :confused:

I like knitting baby stuff though, so I'd be happy to do something.

The charity knit item got me thinking, if each of us knitted an item for a designated hospital (premature baby unit) they would have the best dressed babies in town! What does anyone else think?:love:

Don't know if anything like this has been done before, just thinking outloud.:rant:

I think that's a very nice idea.

I've just found this:

BLISS Premature Baby Charity. Have a look at the bottom of the page :) .

There are patterns you can download as a pdf file.

I've just found this:

BLISS Premature Baby Charity. Have a look at the bottom of the page :) .

There are patterns you can download as a pdf file.

Yes, they'd accept all sorts of things I'm sure. All in ones, bottoms, tops, cardies, hats, mittens. They all wouldn't take long would they?

I've been thinking about it a little more. If the idea took off, we could do each hospital in turn. Decide on the hospital, knit the items, take them in care of the Sheffield Forum. Or post them. I'd be happy to drop them off at the Rotherham General and as for other towns/cities if there is anyone close to a hospital, they could do it too. Am I making much sense?

Can I just say that teeny blankets whch the baby can keep are also appreciated - normal blankets which parents could bring in are way too big and its nice for them to have something that they "own".

x

Brilliant Brunette. How cute. I was thinking of a blanket with an initial on it, but then I suppose it's pot luck. I was thinking of ringing the neonatal unit to see if there was anything in particular they would like knitted. Don't like to bother them though as I suppose they're busy people. Will have a think about it. Great idea though - blanket.

I answered an appeal on Radio Sheffield for premature baby knits and still have the patterns. They seem to want bootees, mitts, jackets and hats (one of which has a flap so they can attach a scalp monitor without having to take the hat off).

they need lots of hats and things like that cos they lose alot of heat through their heads, my son was a prem baby born at 32 weeks and the units are usually very grateful for donations :)

Can I just say that teeny blankets whch the baby can keep are also appreciated - normal blankets which parents could bring in are way too big and its nice for them to have something that they "own".

x

When you say "teeny" blankets, what kind of size are you thinking of?

I love this idea, because I have such a short attention span, knitting baby things is great for me!:thumbsup:

I've looked at the patterns from the BLISS website, and the hat and bootee patterns will be soooo quick to do. I'm going to start some right now.

Let me know if there is going to be a collection point, coz I will definitely have some things to donate....:)

If anyone has any yarn (and energy) left after the preemie baby knitting, don't forget there's an on-going appeal for baby doll clothes for a local children's group. See the sticky thread at the top of the knitting group front page :) .

I haven't done any premature baby knitting or doll knitting yet. I'm hoping it's not one of them things I never get around to doing, because I want to, but have other projects on at the moment. I have loads of dolls patterns, so if anyone wants me to scan and post them, let me know.:)