Lightening Fast Ultra Broadband

I was listening to the news on the radio this morning and scientists have invented a super fast broadband connection which is 6000 times faster than current broadband. Something called Fast TCP or TPC and you could download (theoretically) a film within 6 seconds.

P2P would be abused to the max!

interesting.

some more detail (but not much) here:New Scientist

could be quite a revolution, a bit like networking over the national grid...

I dread to think how much this would cost per month.

it should cost no more since it is just a change in the encoding of the transmissions, rather than requiring any upgrading of the physical links. A way of cramming more data down the same pipe, if you will.

And at the moment it is being used experimentally to transfer large chunks of data point to point. I've reaed what I can and it does seem to be very promising, but for it to work the whole internet will have to use it, and a change like that could take some time to implement

having said all that, of course if the ISPs think they can get away with it they will charge extra, and if it's up to the government and BT, we might get it before Halleys comet comes around again.

And even if it does become a standard, it won't be long before we've found new and interesting ways to choke the bandwidth with pointless trivia!

The broadband over power lines which is being trialed in parts of the uk should also be cheap and very fast (though not 6000 times).

It has the advantage that you can just get it via a power socket, so don't need any cabling, etc.

I remember reading that Norweb (if they still exist) had cancelled the trial of IP over AC because of too many problems.

Essentially they can network everything back to the substation and no further (this is all from faint memory), meaning that each substation would become the defacto network node. In the end, there were just too many nodes...

The holy grail of plugging powerstations into the net, and letting nature take its course seems to have been a dream however.

I am very sceptical about this technology ever taking off, whilst I think they can probably do it, the cost of putting switches routers everywhere would be to restrictive.

We just have to face up to it that the Telecomms market has bombed and there is very little investment around at the moment.

I think we may have to look to 3G/radio/sattelite for out fast speeds or the traditional copper and fibre

Well, I stand corrected.

45Mpbs!

I too am thinking of upgrading to 1 or 2Mbit cable, and sharing half the bandwidth with neighbours etc using 802.11. Not yet sure how it will all work, but if everyone on my street who had broadband did the same, and we all shared our connections, there'd be plenty of fast enough access for all. (i'd need to ringfence my bandwidth for 'work' naturally), but the prospect of a "streetnet" is a very attractive one.

The 1 mbit service from Nildram is a bargain, and the monthly bandwidth allowance is something like 160gb, which is superb.

Hopefully I can get it when the exchange is enabled in about six weeks time.

I will reserve my judgement untill I see how it works out, all these new fangled ideas generate hysteria at first ,with outrageous promises of wonderfull things and good value for money, but they rarely give what is promised.

In fact ,there is always a catch and most times we all end up with egg on our faces, leave it alone I say untill we see what happens.