Does anyone remember the group The Fortunes

If my memory is correct wasn't there two groups with similar names i.e. the fortunes and the four tunes?

Can remember the Four Tops and the Fourmost and the Four Seasons and the Four Pennies.

The Fortunes are still going. last time we saw them at the City Hall was about 4 years ago, obviously not all originals but still great - solid silver 60's show:D:love:

Rod Allen singer and founder member passed away in 2007 and he was the last of the original members. Glen Dale, Andy Brown, Shell Macrae and George McAllister are still alive.

Sean

---------- Post added 10-03-2013 at 23:53 ----------

[/color]

If my memory is correct wasn't there two groups with similar names i.e. the fortunes and the four tunes?

As far as i can recall you're right and there still is an American band calling themselves John Washington's Fortunes playing Fortunes songs.

Edited by sean_mor

The Fortunes are considered a solid sixties band by most recognised DJ's in the States. Would beg to differ with you significantly with your opinion, which I realise is all it is.

I saw the fortunes at the burngreave lib club when i was a young boy,Ithought they were fantanstic live. They have always been a group that have stood out in my life, and now being 58 dont think ill see them again,but the most amazing thing that as happened is that the bungalow that i have bought in south anston did at one time probably 1967 belonged to mr, r garforth your farther in law alias glen dale. HE IS WELCOME ANYTIME I hope he is still well . dave an old fan

was that the old burngreave libs on brunswick road when it was opposite the maisonettes?i used to go in there as a 17 year old up until it closed.

The Fortunes are considered a solid sixties band by most recognised DJ's in the States. Would beg to differ with you significantly with your opinion, which I realise is all it is.

I don't quiete understand what you mean. I only meant to say in America there is another group calling themselves The Fortunes but they were forced by court to change this "protected" name into John Washington's Fortunes.

Ofcourse i do prefer the original Fortunes from Brum, but since Baz and Rod passed away a lot has changed. Although Eddie Mooney isn't a bad singer he doesn't have the characteristic and impressive voice Rod had. Rod was ever chosen as the best singer of the Sixties.

Edited by sean_mor

Hi sean mor...my reply was to gnvqsos... not your post...OK? lol

Rod Allen singer and founder member passed away in 2007 and he was the last of the original members. Glen Dale, Andy Brown, Shell Macrae and George McAllister are still alive.

Sean

OMG it must be lot more than 4 years then because Rod Allen was there, time flies at my age. on a different note I've just been watching antiques road show and Jimi Hendrix LP 'Axis: bold as love' was on there and valued at £500. I've still got the copy I bought in 1967, the year I saw him live, and its probably been played less than 20 times

does any one remember the group The Fortunes in the 60's in Sheffield?????????????????????????????:

Yea, my first husband proposed to me in the Arundel Club when we were waiting for the Fortunes to come on. What a great night that was, loved the group by the way.

Hi sean mor...my reply was to gnvqsos... not your post...OK? lol

Please excuse me !:D

---------- Post added 01-04-2013 at 22:07 ----------

The Fortunes were extremely popular abroad !

does any one remember the group The Fortunes in the 60's in Sheffield?????????????????????????????:

Yea I remember them and still see them performing at Butlins 60s weekends. Give it a go - great weekend, lots of old time favourite bands still singing well. ENJOY!

The person who you are thinking off is my grandad Wilf Smith who was the grocer in shiregreen and had things to do with the fortunes. :)

wilf had 2 shops, one by Bellhouse wmc, and one with gordon lister, on nether shire..." smith and lister"

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 16:46 ----------

wilf had 2 shops, one by Bellhouse wmc, and one with gordon lister, on nether shire..." smith and lister"

lived just down from the churc and had a son who went to school with us...