Is possession of pepper spray illegal?

If the same product is being sold on Ebay ,trust me it will be 100% legal to purchase it and carry it...Now using it that may be a different kettle of fish entirely,the way the laws are the recipitant of the spray,innocent or guilty ,will probably have legal means of obtaining an assault charge,the "use of reasonable force" laws are very complicated

or just carry a couple of onions and rub them in his eyes

Pepper spray is easily available on Ebay and I thought to buy some for my 18 yr old daughter to carry in her handbag for protection against attack. She works late in the town centre and we worry about her safety after work. I realise it may be an offence to be in possession of pepper spray, but I wouldn't mind paying her fine if she ever had to use it in self defence. Does anybody know what line the authorities take on this issue?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'd be on dodgy ground legally. As others have said, if it is illegal, I think there would be a bit more than a fine to contend with if your daughter was caught and convicted. The police may well take the same view of it as an offensive weapon, and would probably be entitled to act exactly the same as if they find a youth, or anyone else for that matter carrying a knife. May she always come home safe by the way.