Police vs social services

The council is run on a cabinet system, the member for Children and Young people, is Cllr Harry Harpham, home tel: 2611441. The shadow cabinet member is Cllr Sylvia Angionotti, home tel: 2588486. These details and numbers are published on SCC website so I'm not giving anything away. Perhaps one of them may be interested to know that you can't get any joy from the Children & Young People's service?

Imagine if the boy had landed up in an abusive household and been left for the weekend? Its sheer good fortune that lorraine29 took him in.

I have to agree that perhaps one of the options above other than the social services may be the way forwards here.

My personal gut feeling is that sending him back to his parents at this moment is not right.

Thank goodness he ended up in your hands for the time being Lorraine.

It's a huge responsibility and i have every respect for the way you are handling this, no practical advice i'm afraid but thanks for being there for him.

If this child is still a minor can't the police take action against the parents?

Abondment of animals is an offence for which the RSPCA is always prosecuting. Fines are several hundred pounds, with imprisonment for serious cases.

Haven't these parents committed an offence?

Thank you for that Macbeth, just rung Cllr Sylvia Angionotti and explained the situation to her and she is very annoyed about how it has been handled and is getting on with dealing with it straight away. She has asked that he stays with me until monday still as will be easier to get a better alternative then rather than over the weekend.

its good to see u actualy care bout this young lad keep with it .how is he doin coz must be horrid knowing his parents that brought him into world r willing to wash hands of him

If this child is still a minor can't the police take action against the parents?

Abondment of animals is an offence for which the RSPCA is always prosecuting. Fines are several hundred pounds, with imprisonment for serious cases.

Haven't these parents committed an offence?

I can see where you are coming from on and I fully agree with you on the face of it apart from one slight complication it could be said that the police are complicit in the alleged crime also.

i would contact the social services again and explain to them bad this will look when you contact the sheffield star and tell them how SS cant be bothered to look after 14 who's parents dont want him. see how fast they react then!

bev2 havnt u any contacts that might be able to help her out surly some1 can do something for her

Thank you for that Macbeth, just rung Cllr Sylvia Angionotti and explained the situation to her and she is very annoyed about how it has been handled and is getting on with dealing with it straight away. She has asked that he stays with me until monday still as will be easier to get a better alternative then rather than over the weekend.

lorraine29, I know you'll still have to look after the boy til Monday, but at least someone with some clout has now got involved. Usually when a cllr takes something on board it gets priority and you know you've got some support now.

Thanks again Macbeth, looking after him until Monday isn't the problem anyway, It was the feeling that the poor lad had basically dropped off with me and forgotten, All they kept telling me was that he was to go home to his mum, yet noone seemed to be listening to the fact that he was more than happy to go back to her it was her that didn't want him back. Now at least I feel that something is being done to help him rather than just leaving it all for me to deal with.

It restores your faith in human nature to see that there are still people like lorraine around. Your son's friend is extremely fortunate to have chosen a friend with such a kind and caring mother, is all that can be said.

I also hope you get some official thanks when all this is sorted out for all the expense and stress you've been put under. It can hardly be easy to suddenly have another child to accommodate.

I do find it strange that a police officer can just call round and leave a homeless child with a stranger though. When you think of all the checks you need just to help out at local youth club, it seems :huh:

I'd also be tempted to call the Executive Officer in charge of Social Services and ask what their department thinks it's playing at, and also Jonathan Crossley-Holland and the Head of Governors at the school to find out why a school thinks it's better for a pupil to miss several days schooling just because he doesn't have the correct outfit, rather than swing into action and invoke the child protection system ...