Government Minister says "Irresponsible Face of Capitalism" - Ryanair?

Who are you with in this debate? you can chose more than one answer  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you with in this debate? you can chose more than one answer

• I'm with the Environment Minister, Ian Pearson,
    • I'm with The Ryanair boss, a business man who lives in the real world
    • Someone put these Environmentalists into room 101
    • Someone put the I Capatalists into room 101 - they are ruining the planet

Airlines are being blamed because of one simple reason: It gives the government a reason to hammer them, and us, with yet more taxes.

They are an easy target

I agree once again three cheers for Mick/Stellios/and Tiny for bringing air travel to the masses

It's been said before but a train ticket from london to manchester is easily over £100 at peak times. Why would people not fly?

Neeeeeeeeeek brings a key point to the argument. I agree with him, until rail travel becomes financially reasonable again, flying is going to be the only choice.

The singling out of Ryanair, as one forummer put it, has less to do with making the general public pay more taxes (even if it is for what cannot be classed as anything other than a luxury) and more about ryanair's hideous stance ofn environmental issues (typified in the fact they refuse to come to the table and even discuss the environmental impact of flying with the EU, like other airlines have).

Beyind that, Ryanair have an absolutely terrible customer relations record, policy which discriminates against disabled people and beyond that, don't seem to care about either, using the arrogant 'if you don't like it, don't use us' justification. Private companies should have a duty of care to their passengers, since they pay for the service, and polluting the air and refusing to even acknowledge that they have an impact is not caring about your customers.

We all have to live in the world and destroying it knowingly is vandalism on a grand scale. I stand by the commments that Ryanair show the 'irresponsible face of capitalism'.

Wilf

I'm not up to speed with the complete ins and outs of this debate in relation to Ryanair but there are two things to note. Firstly, CO2 emissions from aviation may presently represent a small percentage of total emissions but they are one of the fastest growing sources and any CO2 savings made in other sectors, e.g. housing, are likely to be cancelled out by the increased emissions from aviation. Also because the greenhouse gases are emitted high in the atmosphere this has a more damaging effect in terms of warming than the same amount of greenhouse gases emitted from ground level. Secondly, new aircraft are more efficient meaning they produce less emissions but with more flights these savings are cancelled out.

Also, it does appear that the aviation industry does not do more than it is legally required to do in terms of its environmental impact. I've always like this quote from Chris Mullin MP: "During my 18 undistinguished months as aviation minister, I learnt two lessons about the aviation industry. First, its demands are insatiable; secondly, successive Governments have always given way to them."

'if you don't like it, don't use us' quote from last post people vote with the feet every ryanair flight that takes off this morning will have been full.

90% of the world is still throwing pollution into the air so 10% are trying to save it from going in the air the phrase ******* in the wind comes to mind so until everybody does the same why should every passenger in this country have to pay for a useless excercise that will benefit no one airlines Put 2% of the pollution into the air why should the airlines have to pay 100% of the cost

the extra tax we are going to pay where is the money going how does raising taxes combat pollution. please explain by the goverments admission the number of passengers using the airlines will double in the next ten years so paying the extra tax wont stop people travelling. dont blame ryanair alone all the airlines are doing the same to single out ryanair is unacceptable.

remember also heathrow is allegedly the worst polluter in the south of england

ryanair operate one flight per day out of there.

about the disabled issue a couple of years ago the passengers paid the fare and took the chance one pence flights plus taxes and BAA charge the airlines for the use of wheelchairs etc at the time ryanair put forward the arguement that the use of wheelchairs was not there responsibilty it was the customers

the high court decided different so now every passenger has to pay 30p which is included in the taxes to cover the cost. ryanair do not discrimate against the disabled they used to once they dont now or they would be prosecuted. and ryanair have a duty of care to the customers to get them from point to point and nobody can argue they dont do that quite well.

the FINAL point if ryanair can take you from one airport in england to one in europe ie ema to girona for £11.81 including taxes return why does BA charge

approx £175 for a comparable flight. WHICH ONE IS THE CAPALIST.

90% of the world is still throwing pollution into the air so 10% are trying to save it from going in the air the phrase ******* in the wind comes to mind so until everybody does the same why should every passenger in this country have to pay for a useless excercise that will benefit no one airlines Put 2% of the pollution into the air why should the airlines have to pay 100% of the cost

the extra tax we are going to pay where is the money going how does raising taxes combat pollution. please explain by the goverments admission the number of passengers using the airlines will double in the next ten years so paying the extra tax wont stop people travelling. dont blame ryanair alone all the airlines are doing the same to single out ryanair is unacceptable.

Good points. The govt''s position on tackling the problem lacks any credibility.

They recently allowed unregulated fares on London Transport to rise by more than twice the rate of inflation and peak time long distance train fares have risen about the same. Taxing cheap air-fares looks like a move to stop the flight to 'flight' as an alternative to rail.

If they were to give a believeable undertaking to plough the additional revenue from taxing cheap flights into improving rail travel they maight get some support, but at the moment it looks like a way for Gordon Brown to make good the shortfall in tobacco duties when the smoking ban bites :)

Anyway Ian Pearson has been told to “get back in your box and stay there” by his boss :hihi:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2533606,00.html

So, which of our members is going to do their bit and stop using aeroplanes then?

So, which of our members is going to do their bit and stop using aeroplanes then?

Ill be perfectly honest with you:

Not me.

Only used one once for me honeymoon; then I got gastroeneteritis.

The sooner we close the borders the better :thumbsup:

Nope, not me. I'm just not using Ryanair (sick of constant delays and uncomfortable seats)

Shouldn't we all be using airlines like Ryan Air though? They have the most modern and environmentally friendly fleet.

Isn't there anyone out there that's going to stop using aeroplanes?