Is the fishing pond at Frecheville still there?

I believe that the Estate was built by Henry Boot, under the auspices of "The First National Housing Corporation", a government sponsored initiative, to boost employment during the depressed 1930's. (Shades of the current government-announced massive public works investment in similar economic circumstances?) I lived on Wingfield Crescent untill 1955, when I was 10. It was a good place to be back then. What's it like now? I also remember the dances at the Community Centre in the 60's and many of the teriffic groups that appeared there, and also some really good Tuesday nights at the Church Hall, with Dave Berry.

i fish it all the time in the summer.tench-6lb..roach-2lb.big pike.

Tony,

I'm a Springer...maybe we exchanged a rock or two.

Remember the heather that grew in the wood? And the blackberries? Wonder if the cat and dog pond is still there? I tried looking on GoogleEarth but couldn't make it out.

Yes its still there, but very overchoked.

I remember coming home from frecheville school and seeing bloated frogs everywhere around the pond. Kids used to stuff straws up their ahem asses and blow the poor things up.

My dad used to say that a little of the pond used to be cordoned off for a paddling area (the corner looking towards the gennel from brackenfield to hopedale. Also they was park area on that grassy area where the same gennel is. Now the park is on what was the first tennis court.

Yes its still there, but very overchoked.

Sorry I was thinkin of the 2 ponds on weither side of birley woods.

I have the Orriginal plans of Frecheville as they were planning to build it. a friend of mine Terry Conroy (now sadly deseased) fished in the pond right up to his death last year. I so remember the rock club and the church hall dances with Dave Berry. The church was the First in England to have a rock group in the Sunday morning service - brilliant but the 'oldies' - not my parents - were disgusted. Oh happy days learning to bop to Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry. anyone remember when Dave Berries mum used to hire the hall above the co-op for dances to get Dave started?

if you need Photos of Frecheville pond from the late fifty's early 60' go to them via the Frecheville Comunity Centre web page.

I remember coming home from frecheville school and seeing bloated frogs everywhere around the pond. Kids used to stuff straws up their ahem asses and blow the poor things up.

My dad used to say that a little of the pond used to be cordoned off for a paddling area (the corner looking towards the gennel from brackenfield to hopedale. Also they was park area on that grassy area where the same gennel is. Now the park is on what was the first tennis court.

The old 'Playground' you refer to had a 'Flying Plank'(H & S would have had a 'dicky fit' if they had been around then !), a tall 'Roundabout', a Slide and more important for us young 'uns - a 10yd square brick walled Sandpit.

Imagine playing 'Footie' around that lot with the Goals being on 2 adjacent Sandpit brick walls at 90 degrees to each other !!! You had to hit the 2ft high wall to score between the coats - and the ball had to re-bound back into play. Corners were thrown in from off the 2 walls. It was brilliant with 5 -a-sides every night. You avoided falling down like the plague - as the whole playground was covered in 'clinker' from Orgreave Coke Ovens. Cannot recall any injuries from the equipment though. Worst scenario was when some idiot mis-kicked the ball into the Pond and the wind was blowing away from us.:)

We used to call the tall roundabout a "coppers helmet"

We used to go down the slide a few times sat on the waxed paper covering from a loaf of bread; it used to increase the speed & the fun. hate to think what the state of our shorts were though.

Oh I am getting all nostalgic, Youth is wasted on the young! Oh so many happy days and nights to remember - I am lucky though, I still have most of the friends I had then and when we meet up, it is as though we are back round the pond and kids again - keeps us young at heart.

Do you remember that inbetween the 2 sets of tennis courts there were 2 small ornamental gardens, I think that we called them the piece or remembrance gardens. We could play anywhere but would never have considered going in them to play.

Do you also remember that Heathfield Road leading up to the community centre was also planted with ornamental trees. Around the 11 November lots of little remembrance crosses would be planted around the trees. Again we would never consider touching them.

Oh yes remember that well. I also remember the Rememberance Sunday march when all the men would put thier uniforms and medals on and there was a service in front of the community centre and everyone turned out in thier'Sunday best' to pay thier respects for those who did not make it back. Thier is a brass plaque in St.Cyprians with all the names of those who served and those who did not return. It was a real community them.

I remember when there used to be a close season for fishing and at least 2 days prior to the opening season all the local lads used to set up their tackle ready for the thrill of catching some of the decent tench and the odd ocasional eel. This all happened in the 1970's the likes of Freddie Hector, Glyn cawthorn and brother neil along with the Harris brothers all used to fish through the night and had many laughs over the seasons.

Was you one of these guys? remeber the laughs.........what ever happened to these fun times??????????????

hahaha freddie hector thats my uncle