Silverdale Secondary Modern School

since posting I got photos out.I have one of the whole form(with all of you on)and a prefect one I think I can still name everybody.Haven,t really kept in touch with anyone other than Jean.I still remember when we were given a task of writing a poem in English(could have been Mr Horn) who set it.You came up with "Ode to Alfie" He was not amused But we were

I keep on finding out things I can't remember. Ode to Alfie. Bless you and keep em coming. I'm still sorry that I (and loads more kids) created purple geraniums in the library etc by injecting them with ink. Mr Horne was a lovely man and misunderstood. I remember creating a Welcome to Bedrock poster and pinning it on our classroom door. He didn't mind the poster it was the puncture to the paint he was cross about.

Always remember abstemious and impecunity, the two go together of course.

Steve ex Alfie

Anyone who was at Silverdale at this time it would be good to hook up with former students to see who's doing what!

I was! If you are still using this site give me a few more clues.

Who remembers the school that was opened in the late fifties early sixties as an overspill school to accommodate the new crop of baby boomers. This school also boasted I believe a very interesting cast of teachers and to some degree students. Would be interested to hear from folks who were there in that time frame.

Red

---------- Post added 18-05-2018 at 19:40 ----------

Have now pinned you down as a special mate of mine at Silverdale. Nicknamed Alfie. PM me with contact details for a chat.

there was also a gay french/german teacher that I can't think of his name.

Mr. Firth?

Hello been a couple of years just wondering if anyone had any?

Thanks Jack!

I found a few bits and bobs. When were you there?

If you have any I would like to see them and I would be happy to send what I have.

Hi Lemmy remember most  those names Yes it was Mr Firth ,  I left Silverdale late 60's.  Batty was the guy who had a glass jar filled with water and an assortment of canes stashed  in it.  Mr horn did not like students shouting Honk ! Honk ! he would give chase. 

Music teacher used to be seen walking around the school in break times with boxes of chocolates.  The usage of the cane was only part of this persons issues, what I saw would have got that person more than the sack even then.

One of the English teachers used to wear a bow tie, every time he swallowed the bow tie would jump up and down.

The music store room used to have Whisky stashed in it and was regularly visited.

Board rubbers and chalk used to get thrown, not by the students.

Evacuated the chemistry lab a few times.

Happy days !

The music teacher in question left rather quickly when I was there, rumour had it that police were involved, no idea what happened after that. Great time in the chemistry lab, learnt al lot, particularly about how Mr. Atkinson was rebuilding his house roof!

We had a trainee teacher who did English and chemistry, he was downright dangerous in the lab, no end of mishaps including lithium in wire wool dropped into a glass bowl of water, the whole lot exploded over the front row of the class.

Mr. Peckett in the metal work shop, Mr.Wilkinson in the woodwork shop, Mr. Roger's in physics (always known as Beaker after the Muppets) and Mr. Lyons again in physics.

At the time it was sometimes hell, but looking back we had some great times, and I'm sure kids today wouldn't get to do the things we did in chemistry and physics.

Not sure if his name has been brought up before on this thread.....but anyone remember David Unstead?

No memory of this guy, memories of cross country running with snow drifts, freezing ... playing football on the top pitch with rock hard frozen ground and a caseball, that hurt !, PT/PE teachers with arms in slings and neck braces, Heh! Heh! Heh!

I attended Silverdale Secondary Modern from about 1957 to 1961 for me it was a wonderful school Mr Biggin Was The Headmaster Mr Shooter deputy head Mr Taylor Mr Wasnage Music I always thought he was somewhat extravert with his sideburns he looked like a composer he certainly taught music well Mr Glen PE teacher Mr Wood I remember also I think Mrs Frith also that fabulous art teacher she was very attractive. Martin Pedlar who lived on the Long Line Dore was one of my school pals Also Peter Shircliffe Michael Bentley Stephen Groombridge he was a wonderful cricket player Prudence Mountain Head Girl , we had a fantastic choir The Silverdale Singers , I remember Barbara Talbot Pat Heath Michael Wright two sisters who where very good swimmers Jacky & Vicky???? Mr Horn My Name is Michael Astill I played the Trumpet along with Richard Howson & David Hatfield we did a fantastic concert at the City Hall with the choir we played And sang Sound The Trumpet be great to catch up with anyone that remembers me 

Did any of you go in late 70's early 80's and remember , John Cryer and maybe Helen and Sarah Speddings ?  If so feel free to give them this link. Thanks A.