Silverdale Secondary Modern School

I started at Silverdale in 1985, so almost missed you, and enjoyed almost all of my time there (looking back - it didn't always seem enjoyable at the time!)

I was in Miss Wilson(Pinhead)'s form and I liked her even though many didn't.

As for Mr Tarry, I enjoyed his lessons and thought he was OK - but TD was a subject I enjoyed very much.

I was there '82 to '86. I can't actually remember all my form teachers, but Mr Lee was it for one year... just can't remember which.

I was a fan of TD as well - but then again, I did go on to art college for years after leaving school (which also probably explains my lapse in memory!!! ;-p).

Best teacher by a mile was Mr Shooter for maths... or whatever he turned up as cover for. He retired at the end of my first year there, and all those years teaching were not wasted given his ruthless efficiency with the board rubber!!!

Least favourite teacher.. hmmmm... in hindsight, Miss Appleby. I liked her, and liked physics, but I also liked to mess about as much as I could - and she couldn't control a class, so I learned bugger all.

Went back last summer for the 50th birthday party, and it was brilliant.... even if it did look about half the size. The funniest thing was my brother (who went there a few years after me) chatting away to Mr Hutchinson for about 10 minutes, and the calling him Mr Pape... how we laughed! (Mr Hutchinson wasn't amused)

Does anyone know Marion O'Connor from Silverdale circa 1967-1972? Would like to get in touch with her.

Mr Tocher Geography teacher - huge bloke who threatened to throw kids out of the window if they misbehaved - his classroom was on the first floor! Miss Nicholson who taught domestic science - sweet lady. Evil maths mistress who used to threaten boys with her stiletto heels!

Some other teachers rom the late 50s early 60s were Benny Hill Science, George Biggin Headmaster, Mr Horn, Norman firth and Vince Egan.

Yes i was there at that time too Mrs Giles (ENGLISH) Mr Wasnidge (music) Glen PE , Mr Burrel , Mr Brindley, pop Shooter, Mr Taylor (maths) David Batty..very serly man .

Hi I am looking for pictures of the old Silverdale School If you have any please could you either send my them or upload them to a photosharing website and post the link please!

I wish I took photos of the old school brings back memories

-Thanks Jack

Hello been a couple of years just wondering if anyone had any?

Thanks Jack!

Hello Jack,

Seeing your post reminded me of when I taught one or two pupils from Silverdale School to drive about 15 or 20 years ago when I was a Driving Instructor. Can't be much help here but, just in case you haven't already seen them, there are a few photos on http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk of when the school was opened in 1957, but really just show the Royalty doing the honours, and a few pupils, not much of the school. Just type in Silverdale School in the search box.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi I am putting together a sort of autobiography for family posterity. I looked up Sheffield Smelting Company as it was the home of one of 2 best schoolmates. One was John Redican from Banner Cross the other was Geoff Marshall from town. We were at Silverdale together but only me at Hunters Bar Juniors. At the works we would sneak round the place thinking we might get lucky and find some loot. Never happened. Don't remember Janet.

I was sitting in a pub in Hathersage some years later when a woman ran over to me and gave me a hug. It was Joan over for a while visiting family.

My head is bursting with memories since I started this project. I left Silverdale early in the May of 1964 I think. Didn't like it much after Geoff went and John left to live in Scarborough and joined the Merchant Navy. No contact with either since.

So my guess is that I should call you "Alfie" and given that we lost touch some 55 years ago, I guess we've got a lot of catching up to do. My e-mail is Jeffmarshalls@optusnet.com.au

I left Silverdale in 63 and remember all of the teachers already mentioned, but how about the arts teacher ms Ford. Early 60 was still a time when a minor wrongdoing would result in a few lashes of the cane, so we rated some of the teachers on their caning prowess. Wastnage was right up there with Shooter and Taylor (small man, big cane) but poor old Horn with his size 10 plimsoles just couldn't cut it. Ah the memories!

Was there from 69 to 73. Remember a few teachers:

Mr. Wasnidge (music) Mr. Firth (french) Mrs. Turney (maths) Mrs. Bullidon (french) Mr. Tocher (geography) Mrs. Wigmore (art) Mr. Welch (geography) Mr. Wilkinson (woodwork) Mr. Peckett (metalwork) Mr. Atkinson (chemistry) Mr. Lyons (physics) Mrs. Bramah (biology) Mrs. Siddall (English).

There was also the games teacher, and a physics teacher we all called Beaker, can't remember their proper names.

Nigel L

---------- Post added 23-02-2018 at 15:29 ----------

Just remembered the games teacher, Mr. Hutchinson.

i was in the same form as you John,Geffory and Alfie I was Kathleen Collins and my friends Jean Andrews and Elizabeth Booth.Lots happened since those days-now living a quiet life in retirement

i was in the same form as you John,Geffory and Alfie I was Kathleen Collins and my friends Jean Andrews and Elizabeth Booth.Lots happened since those days-now living a quiet life in retirement.

I just sent Jeff, (Marshall) 2 class photos salvaged from Friends Reunited a while back. You, Jean and Elizabeth on them. Jeff is missing from the later one as he cleared off somewhere warmer. We are in the process of communicating our progress since those days. Had forgotten that Alfie was so embedded as a nickname.

What became of you girls and the others? I sat next to Ms Booth most of the time. I think we got on fairly well. I see the old school has been bulldozed and re positioned.

Any photos from those days would be welcome. Nothing from my youth survived very long. Steve alias ALF