Anyone on here from Woodhouse?

Guest Philsma
Hi

My grandad lived in the first house on the blocks in 40's to 50's he was called saxton.

He used to run coach trips from west end club

I think we were also related to the hancocks who lived further down the blocks and maybe the herberts but not sure on that.

Anyone remember them

Hi I was bought up on Coisley Road in the 50-60's. I may have heard my Dad mention the name Saxton but am very vague on that. I knew the Hancock family who lived in the 1st house on the 2nd block of houses. I was friends with their daughter Carol. I also was friends with Marie Herberts who lived on Sheffield Road.

You will prob know my mum she was brought up on the blocks Linda York ( Tomkins) her family were the hallsworths

my father is called Denys Barfield, he came from Woodhouse. His mother was Mertyl Dunk married to Bill (sadly both died).

Not sure where in woodhouse but my gran Mertyl used to work in the working mens club -in the days when they weren't supposed to.

She was tall with red hair and often called 'fag ash lill' for obvious reasons.

My father married my mum (Eileen Jones from Beighton) in about 1947.

He was working down the pit but then joined the army.

my father is called Denys Barfield, he came from Woodhouse. His mother was Mertyl Dunk married to Bill (sadly both died).

Not sure where in woodhouse but my gran Mertyl used to work in the working mens club -in the days when they weren't supposed to.

She was tall with red hair and often called 'fag ash lill' for obvious reasons.

My father married my mum (Eileen Jones from Beighton) in about 1947.

He was working down the pit but then joined the army.

I knew a family called Dunk they had a son called Brian they lived on an estate known as the " severnside estate or the new stradbroke":)

If its the same Brian he's my Uncle. There was also Pete, John, Steven, Roy and a sister called Margret I think.

Roy was a reporter and moved to Australia many years ago, I think Pete is dead and was told John was in the nick.

he was born there in '68 and lived there till we married in 1991. on driver street.

Must know the Bramalls, Dora, Barry RIP and sylvia and david :|

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 19:24 ----------

I recently moved to Skelton Grove from Church View.

I've lived in Woodhouse most of my life, apart from a short stay in Treeton and Gleadless Valley.

Feel free to say hi people. ;)

I too live on skelton grove and love every minute of it, very friendly

If its the same Brian he's my Uncle. There was also Pete, John, Steven, Roy and a sister called Margret I think.

Roy was a reporter and moved to Australia many years ago, I think Pete is dead and was told John was in the nick.

Again if its the same Brian he married a girl off the same estate I think her name was Tina

Any old 'uns remember Ida Chapman who lived at 31 Junction Rd in the 50's?

My mum, Eileen Jones worked at Woodhouse co-op in those days.

She was from Beighton.

Believe that Dave Berry (Dave Grundy) bloke used to call in the shop then as well, as did his mother and sister, called Julie, who was in a wheelchair.

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 17:05 ----------

Again if its the same Brian he married a girl off the same estate I think her name was Tina

Yes that's him. I just rang my mother and asked her and she said Brian married a lovely girl called Tina, think they have 2 boys, but not sure. One works in a hospital.

Brian rang me mother last year, she said, really cheered her up.

I liked Brian and Roy, but I've not seen them since I was a kid- from what I can remember he (Brian) wasn't much older than me, few years that's all.

Sounds terrible doesn't it, not having seen family for so many years.

I just moved a lot, incl 6 (horrid) years in Ireland and the last twenty plus in Wales, poor old Yorkshire seems so far away.:(

I used to visit my uncle Stan in Eckington and others in Aston regularly, but that was easy driving, a couple of miles off the moterway and not much chance of getting lost!!

Say Hi to Brian:wave: - can't call him 'uncle' he's not old enough.

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 17:07 ----------

i lived in woodus all my life on southsea rd mum still lives there we are the sandy family used to knock about with the jenkinsons good times and the dentons/ laxs /powells from corwen place

I think my gran lived at Corwen Place. Granny Dunk, Mertyl, married to Bill, sweet, sweet man.

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 17:48 ----------

my dads family are all from woodhouse and woodhouse mill,

my gran lived on station rd before moving up to the village in the late 70`s

after living down the mill for 40 odd years. the surname is walters.

we lived just over the water in fence. pete 48yrs

Is your dad called stan?

My mum used to work with a Stan Walters at Woodhouse co-op.

He lived next to my gran at Corwen Place. :)

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 17:50 ----------

dont come from woodhouse...lived in hackenthorpe......but mum used to work in woodhouse west end club and my brother was on the committee...for a number of years

My gran used to work there a LONG time ago.

She was called Mertyl Dunk, often called 'fag ash lil'.

My girls were at school with Oliver Walters whose parents moved to a house just off Falconer Lane at Fence, and I used to work with a girl called Elly who married Fraser Walters who was related to Olivers Dad.

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 23:05 ----------

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 23:09 ----------

my dads family are all from woodhouse and woodhouse mill,

my gran lived on station rd before moving up to the village in the late 70`s

after living down the mill for 40 odd years. the surname is walters.

we lived just over the water in fence. pete 48yrs

Read my post are you related to Fraser's dad - I can't remember his name though.

Edited by CeeBeeBee

My girls were at school with Oliver Walters whose parents moved to a house just off Falconer Lane at Fence, and I used to work with a girl called Elly who married Fraser Walters who was related to Olivers Dad.

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 23:05 ----------

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 23:09 ----------

Read my post are you related to Fraser's dad - I can't remember his name though.

:o;) I got it wrong again, It was Stan Walker not Walters. He worked at Woodhouse Coop when my mother did, think he was the supervisor and lived on Manvers Road.

Its a bit hard getting all the bits sorted, I'm in Wales, my mother is in the South of Eng and between brief (confused, me) phonecalls and letters, bits of paper and rushed scribbles....

Sorry people and thanks for hanging in there, you're all stars! :)

Happy New Year as well.

:):thumbsup:::clap::bigsmile::wave: