Motorcycle shops in 70's Sheffield

In my garage I have a Norvin. It's has a 1000cc V-twin Vincent Rapide engine. The frame I think, is a Manx Norton featherbed (don't quote me on that). The bike was dismantled in 1964 by a friends uncle, and is in a sorry state of repair. The forks, shocks and wheels are foobarred. The numbers on the frame are unreadable, but I do have the number plate... long story short, it's easier for me to buy a rolling chassis and put in my engine than it would be to restore what I've got.

The other option is to Streetfighter it, with single sided swinging arm, upside down forks etc, like I used to do in the old days....

Hi SHarper I've been reading your posts and wondered if you could get in touch to talk bike stuff? I know it's a long time since this post but would be nice to talk. Regards Ian

Hi SHarper I've been reading your posts and wondered if you could get in touch to talk bike stuff? I know it's a long time since this post but would be nice to talk. Regards Ian

A long time? It's been 9 and a half years since that post! You can't expect people to still be around after all that time; It's purely by chance that I saw this post, it's not very often I even read this forum, I don't post on here and never log in, so how weird is that?

Anyhoo, what would you like to know? I still have motorcycles, but I don't have that particular one, it went to someone in Cardiff about 7 years ago.

A long time? It's been 9 and a half years since that post! You can't expect people to still be around after all that time; It's purely by chance that I saw this post, it's not very often I even read this forum, I don't post on here and never log in, so how weird is that?

Anyhoo, what would you like to know? I still have motorcycles, but I don't have that particular one, it went to someone in Cardiff about 7 years ago.

are you related to adrian harper?

are you related to adrian harper?

No, I don't think so.

SHarper what do you have ?

---------- Post added 08-10-2016 at 08:51 ----------

Bikes that is ?

don't know if anyone still around can confirm a dealer called quincies out outibridge way, they had a variety of bikes but always had vincent & hrd's, once went to buy a black shadow there on credit of course but after talking to a chap who come to pay his bill for a repair to his rapide i knew i would never be able to buy the bike and have it repaired when needed so bought a t100 instead

Hi kinjuro - yes this was Joe Quince. My dad bought a Triumph Thunderbird from him in c. 1950. The firm is listed in old directories at 149 Langsett Road South, where St Christophers is now.

I remember Sonny Weston on Broad Street and going delivering in his Morris j van circa 1969-1970

I remember D.C.Cooks on London Rd just higher up from Ropers selling Hondas and a shop up Abbeydale Rd past Broadfield rd selling Harleys in the 70s.

there was a guy called stan on collegiate crescent a couple of houses up from ecclesall road who use to buy and sell used bikes

I worked at Handsworth motorcycles in the late seventies. Fond memories of Graham, Norman, Reg and Bob. Followed Bob to George Pollard's - didn't stay there very long.

Forgot to say, I did some casual work for Bob Hefford at D&H Motorcycles. Used to autojumble with him and Lucy.

Saw Crumpy 76 asking if anyone remembered his dad at Handsworths - which prompted my post.

Sorry but don't remember Handsworth motorcycles. Where were they located.

Bob Hefford and I were mates all thru the 70's till I emigrated in 1980.  We raced his Vincent sidecar outfit together for a couple of seasons before D& H Motorcycles got underway. In the beginning the shop was part time and I helped out evenings and weekends. Also remember taking trips out to Pollards at Dinnington. 

Through Bob met Terry Windle, Owen Greenwood and Tony Dawson , names familiar to those in the know.