Motorcycle shops in 70's Sheffield

On 29/03/2024 at 01:11, MICK BADGER said:

Iin 1970/71 there was a bloke selling mainly 2 strokes on John street off london rd he then moved to west bardoes anybody remember his name

I found it Doug Peacock

Not in Sheffield but Charlie Freemans in Eckington has to be one of the most famous bike shops.

• Like 1

Bought my 1966 BSA Bantam KRB 725 D from Charlie in 1967, cost me £100.00. Passed my test on it, as did my brother and a load of mates. Traded it in for a 1961 Norton 99SS,  905 UPK that cost me  £145.00 in 1967. Had it until 1971 when I sold it to get married.  The bike doesn't seem to be around any more, but the wife is!

• Haha 1

I might be wrong here, but did Freemans have a shop in Chesterfield/ Whittington Moor area? 

3 hours ago, GabrielC said:

I might be wrong here, but did Freemans have a shop in Chesterfield/ Whittington Moor area? 

Whittington I think yes but Eckington was the original.

1 minute ago, Top4719 said:

Whittington I think yes but Eckington was the original.

I thought they had a shop on Whittington Moor there used to be another one further down too. 

17 hours ago, GabrielC said:

Yes they did.

On 03/04/2024 at 10:48, classicfan said:

Bought my 1966 BSA Bantam KRB 725 D from Charlie in 1967, cost me £100.00. Passed my test on it, as did my brother and a load of mates. Traded it in for a 1961 Norton 99SS,  905 UPK that cost me  £145.00 in 1967. Had it until 1971 when I sold it to get married.  The bike doesn't seem to be around any more, but the wife is!

Glad to hear your wife it still going strong! I bought a 1969 D14 Bantam from Leather & Simpson; cost me £132. I also passed my test on it - great little machine. I traded it in for a BSA 250cc. Starfire two years later. Enjoyed both bikes.

Bantam.jpg

17 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Glad to hear your wife it still going strong! I bought a 1969 D14 Bantam from Leather & Simpson; cost me £132. I also passed my test on it - great little machine. I traded it in for a BSA 250cc. Starfire two years later. Enjoyed both bikes.

Bantam.jpg

would that have been from infirmary road or Flora street

5 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

would that have been from infirmary road or Flora street

I bought the Bantam from the shop at 9-11 Langsett Road, and they moved to the Flora Street premises the following year so I bought the Starfire there!

23 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Bantam.jpg

Nice bike. My Dad was a biker in his younger days too, the motorbikes he once had were a  Honda then my favourite a Triumph with a sidecar that had to be weighted down with a sandbag in the nose of the sidecar  because it lift up on bends! I think he had a Japanese bike at one point but didn't last long . We used to go to Matlock Bath on Sunday's or around the Peak District. Before my Dad got married he was in a motorbike gang of sorts often they would visit Sheffields motorbike shops another favourite was Wraggs of Chesterfield and already mentioned Freemans of Eckington. My all time favourite bike is the Vincent Black Shadow Im not keen on modern bikes.

On 05/04/2024 at 21:19, GabrielC said:

Nice bike. My Dad was a biker in his younger days too, the motorbikes he once had were a  Honda then my favourite a Triumph with a sidecar that had to be weighted down with a sandbag in the nose of the sidecar  because it lift up on bends! . . . . .My all time favourite bike is the Vincent Black Shadow Im not keen on modern bikes.

I used to live next door to a man with a Vincent Black Shadow - I was jealous! My dad also had a Triumph with a sidecar - it was a 650cc. Triumph Thunderbird and Swallow Harvard sidecar. But with five of us on board it didn't lift up on bends! Here we are at Skegness in 1951- I am the 3 year-old kid just peeping out of the sidecar!

Motorbike & Sidecar, Skegness 1951.jpg

• Like 1