Motorcycle shops in 70's Sheffield

There was one on Domine lane in Rotherham, near the tesco entrance, i think it was called Crosses or something :huh:

there was also Mcdonalds at Mexborough, i dont think they had a good reputation...and there was also Pete Cresswells at Swinton,(nice bloke) just over the bridge, he used to have old bikes in the shop but never seemed bothered about selling them...

The one on Domine Lane was Ernest Cross, he was the Yamaha agent, I remember Pete Creswell too as he repaired my AP50 after I ran it into the back of car.

If you can remember bike places in the Swinton/Mexboro area, do you remember the bloke on Midland Road at Swinton who had a big yard and garages that were full of bikes?

The one on Domine Lane was Ernest Cross, he was the Yamaha agent, I remember Pete Creswell too as he repaired my AP50 after I ran it into the back of car.

If you can remember bike places in the Swinton/Mexboro area, do you remember the bloke on Midland Road at Swinton who had a big yard and garages that were full of bikes?

Earnest Cross...yeah thats right, i remember he used to have the Yamaha logo on his shop, if i remember rightly, the shop used to have bare wooden floor boards..:huh:

Now you mention the guy on Midland Road Swinton....wow thats brought back a few memories...i never met the guy, but heard a lot about him, i think he used to live down near the corner somewhere, next to the allotment.. i new a friend who lived next door to him i think...he bought a new scooter in about 1980...i heard about this guy because i used to have a kh250 that was forever breaking down, (as they did) and my ex wife that lived in the Bank on the corner, told me to get him to repair it...but in the end i decided to sell it.....coincidently, i just bought an old kh250 and have spent the last two years restoring it.......and it still has the same fouling plugs issues...:loopy:

Also....Did you ever see a midget riding a c50 in Swinton, he used to have wooden blocks fastened on the pedals and sit on the edge of the seat, he was literally standing up, i think he went to Swinton Comp as a youth

Edited by banjodeano

Earnest Cross...yeah thats right, i remember he used to have the Yamaha logo on his shop, if i remember rightly, the shop used to have bare wooden floor boards..:huh:

Now you mention the guy on Midland Road Swinton....wow thats brought back a few memories...i never met the guy, but heard a lot about him, i think he used to live down near the corner somewhere, next to the allotment.. i new a friend who lived next door to him i think...he bought a new scooter in about 1980...i heard about this guy because i used to have a kh250 that was forever breaking down, (as they did) and my ex wife that lived in the Bank on the corner, told me to get him to repair it...but in the end i decided to sell it.....coincidently, i just bought an old kh250 and have spent the last two years restoring it.......and it still has the same fouling plugs issues...:loopy:

Also....Did you ever see a midget riding a c50 in Swinton, he used to have wooden blocks fastened on the pedals and sit on the edge of the seat, he was literally standing up, i think he went to Swinton Comp as a youth

Yes I do remember him! When he left school he started work with a company that made musical instruments such as Ukeleles, later on in life he sold theses on Ebay as full sized guitars, I know that a few people got ripped of by him, last time I saw him he had got rid of the C50 and was driving a sports car, I think it was a small MG convertible.:wink:

With regards to the KH, I think that plug fouling was something all KH's did on a daily basis, along with the centre pot seizing due to lack of cooling.

Yeah , i remember the bloke on Midland Road Swinton ...bought a GSX 400 from him around 20 years ago .. ( i rode it for around 3 months then loads of things went wrong with it )

storeys three brothers on scott road

I believe these mini bikes were called CORGIES.

:hihi:

My first bike was an LE Velocette (please don't laugh). It was a 1952 model, and lasted me 4,000 miles in 1967-8 before the big end went (I got home on one cylinder, though). Then a BSA 175 cc D14 Bantam (new in March 1969 - YWA 32G) and a BSA 250 cc Starfire (August 1970 - FWJ 18J). The Starfire as quite fast but without much bottom-end torque. I had a bigger rear sprocket made - that reduced the top speed to about 80 but the acceleration was good. Memories...

Hi , thanks for the memories , my dad was a member of Sheffield & Hallamshire MCC in the 50's . He dealt with some of the bike shops local to Abbeydale/Heeley areas His last bike was an LE Velocette around 1980 when he retired. Does anyone remember Him Danny Carnelly ?

Bob's... D & H M/Cycles Corner of Abbeydale Rd and London Rd... He's my mate these days, trading as F & H behind the old mines rescue station at Wath upon Dearne. Oft seen at Newark and other auto jumbles with his husky dog (Midnight). Bob is quite poorly atm, he's in the Northern General recovering after an op to correct an anurism in his stomach... someone said he's mellowing to Jap bikes... who are you kidding, the only Jap Bob is interested in is J.A.P. (J A Prestwich)

I just wondered how Bob is these days? It's been a while since this post, but I just re-discovered the forum. Bob was a friend back in the day. I spent quite a few quid at D&H but never paid retail. He was good that way. Is he still riding the Vincents?

It's been quite a while since I started this post, but I still come back and go through it and really enjoy reading all the comments that people have left.

I have found a video on 'YouTube' from the late 80's/early 90's of a programme that was shown on BBC called 'Perpetual Motion'

In the video it tells the story of the Royal Enfield Bullet that was manufactured in Redditch and then in later years manufactured in India and imported back to the U.K.

In the video you will see Wilf Green who was the importer of the Indian produced Bullets.

Hope you like it.

Link:

Hi carsupplier - very interesting, and wonderful to see Wilf Green again!.:thumbsup:

I have the picture of Wilf and his son Arthur who was tragically killed at a grass track meeting,Wilf had this picture in his shop for as long as i remember.It shows Wilf with a small bike he had built for the very young Arthur I dont know if anyone remembers it.

Nimrod,

Was Wilf Green on London Road at some time?

I had a Francis Barnett Light Cruiser once and there was a brass dealer disc attached to the rear mudguard and I know it was supplied by someone on London Rd but can't remember the dealer name.

blue11265,

Yeah the X7 was lovely, when I was 16 and still had my Suzuki AP 50, my mate had a brand new X7 and let me have a ride on it (on a private road coz of my age...honest!) and it was out of this world when compared with my beast of a 50cc, it was finished in red with black pinstriping.

Saw one at an auction recently, it was surrounded by blokes all roughly the same age, all looking as though they were back in their youth as you say drooling over that bike.

The time you say 1981/1982 was at the time just before the 125cc restriction came in.

Another lad I knew could only get an offer of £40 maximum from any bike shop when he tried selling his X7 after the 125 law was introduced.

To all the others who have posted, What bikes have you had?

British, Japanese, European, mopeds, scooters, combinations, it would be good to know what you had.

b.s.a.c15 250cc from leather and simpsons ont top rooad nr unity pictures

Yes Wilf Green was on London road,i bought a 350cc BSA B31 (£60) from him in the 60's.....:)