George & Dragon@Wentworth

Has anyone tried this very nice little pub/restaurant in Wentworth?

Ive been a couple of times over xmas and the food is very good, much better than your avaerge bar meal and good sized portions too.

Try the homemade steak and ale pie or roast dinner both excellent

Advisable to book though

Only ever been in for a drink, but it's a lovely little (proper) boozer.

I found this gem of a pub thanks to the Good Beer Guide 1990. I travelled out there with a pal and we both enjoyed a pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord, the best pint I have had of it to date and way before every other pub on the planet decided to sell it (most of whom can't even look after it).

I went there again a couple of summers back and sat in their vast beer garden. I have eaten there but it's so long ago I can't remember how good it was, only that we had to wait for a table - no bad thing.

But for the beers alone and its location, the G & D is a superb traditional english pub, the kind that is being demolished on a devastating scale here in England (and of course, Sheffield. cf The Yorkshire Grey).

Oy! The George & Dragon is a local pub for local people - there's nothing for you lot here!

Seriously, it's one of my favourites, though largely for the beer rather than food. Only a mile from my house - it's amazing how there's such a difference in the quality of the pubs in such a short distance (Elsecar/ Hoyland pubs make the Crosspool Tavern look classy!)

Was The George & Dragon not the pub where William Hague used to drink 14

pints a day in his youth?

Does the George still insist on serving at least one 'strong' real ale at all times? Its old Good Beer Guide blurb said it always did, but that was about 10 years ago ......

Does the George still insist on serving at least one 'strong' real ale at all times? It's old Good Beer Guide blurb said it always did, but that was about 10 years ago ......

Depends how you define 'strong' I suppose, but Wentworth Rampant Gryphon (6.2%) makes regular appearances.

Was The George & Dragon not the pub where William Hague used to drink 14

pints a day in his youth?

No that would be The bay horse at scholes.

george and dragon is a lovely little warm pub with loads of character .......more so when im blind drunk in there on weekends :hihi: :hihi:

Friends of ours highly recommend it

lovely place and not full of ten bob millionaires unlike the other pub in Wentworth.

In the summer its a great place to take kids with the little adventure playground and the barbeque when they have it on.

highly recommended. then after have a walk to Elsecar and go to the pub next to the heritage centre.

Not been for years but I did like the place.

The rock was better but the bay horse, scholes was the winner as it had the open fire and the staff were a 'laff'.