Record Collector, Broomhill

7 Hills, I have no other option. Fopp do not cater for 1950s rock'n'roll, and certainly the big ones don't (virgin, HMV etc.) I use the internet, although I really don't like too and did use Record Collector. I don't mind the prices, because the format may have changed, but I am a collector, not a buyer.

the internet is a great place to buy vinyl - especially as a collector. You know what you want, you dont need to listen to it - so find the cheapest place on the net and purchase. simple. But it does take the fun out of hunting for vinyl.

Independent record shops can either embrace the internet or be killed by it. As my tastes tend towards the obscure, I buy most of my CDs online from shops such as Sister Ray in London - I'm sure Record Collector could do something similar.

Well just to let you know that since Christmas there have been some massive changes to the stock and prices at Record Collector. Loads of new stuff in, and MASSIVE price reductions! Come have a look, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Leah.

I noticed that too,

the last time I went I spent at least 20 minutes looking for anything which interested me, but unfortunately it seem that it is a dumping ground for all the rubbish which nobody wants.

Much better to go to Fopp,

Last week I got 3 CDs for 3 quid each. And they weren't even second hand. For that price it is not worth copying them, I would rather have the original case and artwork. Everytime I go there there is always a couple of things to fill gaps in my collection..

hmm well tbh both fopp and record collector are for very different markets.

fopp is for the general consumer who buys mostly newer music new

whereas record collector has been selling collectible and more obscurer new stuff since the 70s.............i used to buy loads from there in the mid - late 80s.

the prices reflect on the secondhand stuff the going or not far off collectors price.

tbh ive never bothered with fopp, in sheff warp was my fave record shop for new stuff, till it sold out to fopp :(

and before warp was fon :) lots of punk records in there when that was open

hmm well tbh both fopp and record collector are for very different markets.

fopp is for the general consumer who buys mostly newer music new

whereas record collector has been selling collectible and more obscurer new stuff since the 70s.............i used to buy loads from there in the mid - late 80s.

the prices reflect on the secondhand stuff the going or not far off collectors price.

tbh ive never bothered with fopp, in sheff warp was my fave record shop for new stuff, till it sold out to fopp :(

and before warp was fon :) lots of punk records in there when that was open

Well that is interesting you say that because I am not interested in new stuff either. Mainly rock from 60s to 80s, but also Latin stuff, ska, jazz.

The CDs I most recently bought from Fopp were reissue CDs from rock bands and 3 quid each. The time before that I bought some early AC/DC CDs, also reissues. Most of my collection of those albums were vinyl which I bought in the early 1980s, and I quite like to get them on CD when I see them really cheap.

Well that is interesting you say that because I am not interested in new stuff either. Mainly rock from 60s to 80s, but also Latin stuff, ska, jazz.

The CDs I most recently bought from Fopp were reissue CDs from rock bands and 3 quid each. The time before that I bought some early AC/DC CDs, also reissues. Most of my collection of those albums were vinyl which I bought in the early 1980s, and I quite like to get them on CD when I see them really cheap.

yeah i know what you mean, i dint just mean new as in say the artic monkeys or tower of london.

i meant in a hmv type consumer who buys a new copy of their old records or just someat they see

whereas record collectors for the vinyl junkie, the audiophile...obviously the record collector and occasionly for somebody who likes the obscure (which may not be available in the likes of hmv, fopp, music zone)

i myself frequenting rare and racy back in the mid - late 80s was amazed to hear the monk chants cds they used to play in the shop, was well before all this new age music lark took off bigtime.

and yes i know 60s / 70s hippies flirted with such stuff, i mean before tescos etc started selling panpipe cds and cds with whale noises etc

Apart from the artists I collect, I have a couple of hundred vinyl albums which I have yet to replace with CD, and so rather than spend a fortune in one go, I just look out for them. I always have the list with me on my mobile phone, as I have boobed before and gone and bought something which I forgot that I already had.

I also bought a Queens of the stone age CD from sainsburys yesterday for £3.99. Which I was quite happy with. And I have bought loads of cheap CDs from Amazon for just a couple of quid.

tbh when i buy cds i buy from charity shops, although the past couple of years prices have gone hysterically up

although lately ive had a few i really love that ive had or sold on vinyl or taped for 99p no marks on em.

metallica - master of puppets

orb - uforb

ride - nowhere

goldie - saturnz returnz (2cds...50p)

as well as a few more

oh yeah a black uhuru island 2 cd sampler in the old style double cd boxes i was impressed to find for £1.99, i loves mi reggie :)

oh yeah and over the holidays i nipped into oxfam in middlesbrough which is turning more into a collectors shop

£10 for coloured vinyl 12"s and the like

i got 3 cds, perfect nick so thought id get em even tho £2.99 each is pushing to proper secondhand cd prices.

2 billy bragg albums fer the missus and a 2 albums on 1 cd of 2 of the more metally cockney rejects albums

#till the end of the daaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Leah, I was in Record collector last week and can assure you that the 50's and 60's section have no new stuff in it, and have not for sometime. As for other types and eras I can not pass comment.