The Celebrity Big Brother 2007 thread

I agree that the interpretation of Danielle's comment that Shilpa should "**** off home", could be very racist.

So you think that COULD be racist then? :huh: ..... I see.

We can make em and we can break em!

Do you think that Channel 4 sort of had an inkling that something like this would kick off? Three of the original housemates quit in quick succession when Jade and family hit the house - do you think that they had the whiff that they were being manipulated big time?

This series had an extra injection of 'big brother celebrity' and the celebs began disappearing. Originally Jade won her contest by the fact of novelty and naivety on her part - a sort of plucky underdog that the British are suckers for.

Perhaps they were put in the house this time for a different purpose. They threw an entire family in there not use to the strange world of celebrity and did Channel 4 just sit back and wait for the whole thing to kick off? Were they out to create victims and let others hang themselves in the process?

It seems the battle lines have been drawn but I just get the feeling of people being manipulated on a large scale.

Everytime I hear a statement about Jade or racism or anything connected with the programme I just get the feeling that people are allowing others to press their buttons for them.

Of course there's been manipulation from start to finish - Big Brother has become all about manipulation. From the VERY edited highlights shown on Channel 4 to the blatant favouritism shown towards some contestants by BB every year - from perhaps BB3 onwards, the whole thing has just been an exercise in manipulation.

The producers just tried to take it too far this time around - they got over-confident and thought they could get away with anything.

When I first heard Jade's Mum was going in the House, I couldn't believe my ears. Anyone with half a brain could guess what would happen. I wondered what had got into the producers - the woman is sub-normal - what were they thinking, putting a very disturbed woman into such a hothouse? Honestly, I'm surprised that mental health charities didn't kick up a fuss. The woman was clearly not mentally capable of taking the decision to go onto CBB.

The producers obviously wanted an oil and water situation to arise - Dirk, Shilpa and Jermaine and some of the others are very cultured, urbane, sophisticated people - the Goodys may as well come from another planet for all the mutual understanding there was going to be in that House. Confrontation was inevitable, as day follows night.

Donny Tourette's obviously saw through the charade from the start and wisely took himself right out of it. He went up greatly in my estimation that night. Exactly the same with Ken Russell. These people are no fools - they could see what was going to happen and wanted no part of it.

I think the producers have bitten off a little more than they can happily chew this time though. They'll throw the Goodys and their cronies to the wolves in an effort to save themselves - when they have actually caused all this. I hope they fail miserably and get the comeuppance they deserve.

StarSparkle

I think the media once again have blood on their hands...

I'm sorry loads of you will no doubt disagree but Jade is a human being just like every single one of us.... she was treated so awful by the media whilst in the house back in 2002 (surely you can recall the poor girl being referred to as a pig countless times!) How she actually managed to become the most successful BIG BRUV contestant shows that she has a 'resilient' nature which many of us have not got - which is probably down to her own upbringing!

The folks in India are supporting Shilpa (their child) - why can't we????

Sorry guys but if we are to show the world how to behave shouldn't charity start at home...I mean 'Yes' she has made some mistakes and in hindsight she could have behaved better but she is not Osama Bin Laden for heavens sake! Nor do I believe a racist!! I think she has got some unreleased anger particularly towards those who are of a higher class, intellectually...I think she feels threatened by them not really through jealousy as such but because she was never given the education she craves as an adult when she was a child!!

Why can't we just apologise for the mistakes of 'our child' and move on??

Why all the hate!

:confused:

our child???? our child???? personally i'd prefer to think i have more of a link with someone who is decent, intelligent and reasonable, than someone who isn't but was born in the same country as me...jade goody doesn't represent me, or anything i stand for, mistakes or not...

our child???? our child???? personally i'd prefer to think i have more of a link with someone who is decent, intelligent and reasonable, than someone who isn't but was born in the same country as me...jade goody doesn't represent me, or anything i stand for, mistakes or not...

...and I agree but like it or not so many of the ''Jade'' species exist in our world....

what I am saying is like..erm sorry she wont do it again....let's educate our kids better because Jade is like many of our ''25 years and under'' community and they are making the ''HEADLINES'' out there!!

Can anybody not see this??

Maybe is it because I am a Mother and would never 'disown' my kids!

:rolleyes:

...and I agree but like it or not so many of the ''Jade'' species exist in our world....

what I am saying is like..erm sorry she wont do it again....let's educate our kids better because Jade is like many of our ''25 years and under'' community and they are making the ''HEADLINES'' out there!!

Can anybody not see this??

Maybe is it because I am a Mother and would never 'disown' my kids!

:rolleyes:

i get much of what you're saying, i just don't see how jade is 'ours'...

Of course there's been manipulation from start to finish - Big Brother has become all about manipulation. From the VERY edited highlights shown on Channel 4 to the blatant favouritism shown towards some contestants by BB every year - from perhaps BB3 onwards, the whole thing has just been an exercise in manipulation.

The producers just tried to take it too far this time around - they got over-confident and thought they could get away with anything.

When I first heard Jade's Mum was going in the House, I couldn't believe my ears. Anyone with half a brain could guess what would happen. I wondered what had got into the producers - the woman is sub-normal - what were they thinking, putting a very disturbed woman into such a hothouse? Honestly, I'm surprised that mental health charities didn't kick up a fuss. The woman was clearly not mentally capable of taking the decision to go onto CBB.

The producers obviously wanted an oil and water situation to arise - Dirk, Shilpa and Jermaine and some of the others are very cultured, urbane, sophisticated people - the Goodys may as well come from another planet for all the mutual understanding there was going to be in that House. Confrontation was inevitable, as day follows night.

Donny Tourette's obviously saw through the charade from the start and wisely took himself right out of it. He went up greatly in my estimation that night. Exactly the same with Ken Russell. These people are no fools - they could see what was going to happen and wanted no part of it.

I think the producers have bitten off a little more than they can happily chew this time though. They'll throw the Goodys and their cronies to the wolves in an effort to save themselves - when they have actually caused all this. I hope they fail miserably and get the comeuppance they deserve.

StarSparkle

Sorry I misread your post...agree with your views

I think the public are being manipulated.

i get much of what you're saying, i just don't see how jade is 'ours'...

Like it or not she is English and much of this will reflect on the English like it does whenever we behave badly in the worldwide media !!

That is why we should all look at ourselves and not just Jade...we need to stop this 'loutish' behaviour NOW !!!

Like it or not she is English and much of this will reflect on the English like it does whenever we behave badly in the worldwide media !!

That is why we should all look at ourselves and not just Jade...we need to stop this 'loutish' behaviour NOW !!!

yes, it will reflect badly, but she's not from my socio-economic class, my county, my city...so i ain't taking ownership cos she ain't mine no more than shilpa is (she and i are from the same planet) ;)

yes, but she's not from my socio-economic class, my county, my city...so she ain't mine...

No, you 'class racist' !! Whether you like it or not she has represented this country in a bad light....rather than disown her we should 'correct' and 'guide' her don't you think! Your post really doesnt help when we are trying to show we are not ''bigoted'' people!!

I was just watching the conversation that Shilpa and Jade had in the garden and not once, until the very end of the conversation, did Shilpa give Jade any eye contact, whereas Jade was trying all the time to look her straight in the face.

<snippitty>

body language is used in slightly different ways, in different cultures, ann:- in the arab/ indian/ asian world, women's body language is expected to be demure, with eyes downcast, it's not acceptable for a woman to look directly at others, (particularly males) as It's seen as "forward". This is the kind of culture/ society that Shilpa was raised in. I suspect that she is only behaving within the norms of the society hthat she comes from.

If there were a BB set in India, or an Arab country, and I was shipped in (god forbid) to take part, and I acted like the reasonably assertive western woman that I am, the hordes watching that version of BB might interpret my actions as "fast" or "brazen", seeing me speak directly to a male, and not averting my eyes, etc. had I not got indian and arab family and friends, as a European, I might not necessarily know that full eye contact is not the cultural norm in that society, and not knowing how that culture operates, it could cause any number of fauxs-pas.

I mean, there are quite a few folk on here, who would not know that in muslim society, the left hand is not used for eating, as it's the "unclean" hand, used for toilet and sexual functions, one uses the right hand, the "clean" one, to eat with.

It's the same when handing something to another person; it's given with the right hand. But unless one knew, or had been instructed that this is the case, you would not know, and there might be some "awkwardness". To us in the west, it is not an issue, but in the arab world, it would be.

We westerners don't tend to understand the significance of the colour red, or the number eight, in chinese culture. but both are considered to be very "auspicious", a token/ symbol of good luck.

I think with regards to cultural differences, you're kind of excused though, if the other person knows that you're not from the same culture.

I wrote this somewhere else as well.

"I watched tonight's episode.

This is the thing. In the UK, we know what taking the mick means. In other cultures, there isn't really a concept of mick-taking.

I mean, look at it from this angle too. Shilpa is a woman from a different culture, and she already mentioned that she doesn't know what British people are like. Here she is, meeting a lot of strangers for the first time. For someone to criticise her cooking, and the way she does things. Well, why ? What's the motivation or reason ? Obviously, you wouldn't expect her to do the same things as Jade, in the same way. Maybe in Jade's mind, if Shilpa had a laugh with her and bonded with her from day one, she feels okay about it. i.e. tell it like it is. However, for Shilpa, she may be hesistant, and actually bond over a period of time. Some people are like that too.

Even if Jade did not mean for it to be racial, from the receiver's end. The fact that she continually did things relating to Shilpa's race, and criticism of her every action means that she is making it racial. Imagine you are that person on the receiving end who continuously have your own culture or action criticised in every aspect. Well, will you, or will you not make it personal? Of course you'd take it to heart. Isn't it natural ?"

I am glad that on tonight's programme, C4 decided to actually NOT have a crowd there. It is *so* cringing to watch. I don't think you can really fake the tense atmosphere in the house, or that both girls were actually pretty upset over this whole issue.

I think the media once again have blood on their hands...

I'm sorry loads of you will no doubt disagree but Jade is a human being just like every single one of us.... she was treated so awful by the media whilst in the house back in 2002 (surely you can recall the poor girl being referred to as a pig countless times!) How she actually managed to become the most successful BIG BRUV contestant shows that she has a 'resilient' nature which many of us have not got - which is probably down to her own upbringing!

The folks in India are supporting Shilpa (their child) - why can't we????

Erm perhaps because unlike Shilpa Jade is in the wrong and doesn't deserve any support for her actions.

Sorry guys but if we are to show the world how to behave shouldn't charity start at home...I mean 'Yes' she has made some mistakes and in hindsight she could have behaved better but she is not Osama Bin Laden for heavens sake! Nor do I believe a racist!! I think she has got some unreleased anger particularly towards those who are of a higher class, intellectually...I think she feels threatened by them not really through jealousy as such but because she was never given the education she craves as an adult when she was a child!!

Why can't we just apologise for the mistakes of 'our child' and move on??

Why all the hate!

:confused:

I really don't see what's confusing about this, Ms Goody is a hateful person who has behaved in a hateful manner by trying to make another persons life misery for no good reason, is it any surprise that people have reacted negatively to that?

What's with all this 'our child' stuff? Do you really think people should support Ms Goody just because she was born in the same country as us? Surely you should support or oppose people on the basis of what their actions are not where they were born.

From what I've read on this issue Ms Goody was clearly in the wrong here and simply doesn't deserve any support, why on earth should we let idiotic nationalistic notions of supporting people simply according to where they were born influence us?