'designer dogs' aka crossbreeds

Does that mean my dog is a staffy shepherd or a geffy

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/geo666uk/DSC00024.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/geo666uk/populousa.jpg

yeah but look at the state of the floor and the wall minus the paper I found a few other things to call her that day lol.

awww how beautiful is she... I don't think either of those names suit her though... maybe a staffsation?

awww how beautiful is she... I don't think either of those names suit her though... maybe an staffsation?

Staffstation sounds ok but she was a definate accident and we took her in for being the cutest when she was 6 weeks old as the owner wanted rid of her.

Staffstation sounds ok but she was a definate accident and we took her in for being the cutest when she was 6 weeks old as the owner wanted rid of her.

People like that make me so mad :rant:

Glad she's got her daddy to look after her now :)

there are no genetic problems with beagles :rant:

why poison their good track record with pugs? :confused:

i watched a special documentary on pedigreed dogs and how breeders have inbred irrisponsibly until pedigreed dogs are unhealthy and deformed .. about how rodesian ridge backs with ridges are genetically inferior to the ones with out ridges yet breeders and i luse that term very loosly are breeding on the genetically inferior ridgebacks and murdering the ones that are healthier but with out the ridges just because of fashion they showed pics of the original german shephard and original pugs andf the dogs that pass for them now and you would not recognize this as same breed yet dumbasses at the kennels and breeders perpetuate genetic inferiority for fashions sake .. ALL I COULD DO IS HUG MY HEINZ 57 DALAMTION LAB AND A BIT OF HOUND AND SAY tHANK gOD YOU ARE NOT A PURE BRED

Ive seen a rottie and EBT X, I personally think both breeds are beautifull, in fact I think most breeds are but why mix them?

A KC registered, BAER tested EBT with champion bloodlines and a excellent family tree goes for around £700 - £800, these X's going for £125 each!

I just don't understand it at all it makes me think is these are cheap big dogs that are accessible for young lads that want something big.

Back street breeders don't think about things. They simply choose 2 lovely looking pedigree dogs (german shepherd/husky) breed them together and expect lovely looking dogs to come out. And then they charge hundreds of pounds for a cross breed. I don't get it lol

i watched a special documentary on pedigreed dogs and how breeders have inbred irrisponsibly until pedigreed dogs are unhealthy and deformed .. about how rodesian ridge backs with ridges are genetically inferior to the ones with out ridges yet breeders and i luse that term very loosly are breeding on the genetically inferior ridgebacks and murdering the ones that are healthier but with out the ridges just because of fashion they showed pics of the original german shephard and original pugs andf the dogs that pass for them now and you would not recognize this as same breed yet dumbasses at the kennels and breeders perpetuate genetic inferiority for fashions sake .. ALL I COULD DO IS HUG MY HEINZ 57 DALAMTION LAB AND A BIT OF HOUND AND SAY tHANK gOD YOU ARE NOT A PURE BRED
so you've based your opinion on one programme which had the sole intention of removing Crufts from the BBC portfolio? *slow clap*

I've written this a few times now, but anyway: in the nineteen seventies, when we only had 3 television channels, BBC two ran all the coverage from the whole show, so you were interested in one breed, you could get a good look at what to look for before you purchased a puppy. Since we've had more tv hours and channels, Crufts has been turned into a flyball fest, presented by people who haven't the first clue about dogs, and we don't even get to see ALL of the dogs in the 'Best in Group', we only get to see half of them after the first cut :mad:

That documentary you've been brainwashed with didn't make any mention of how cocker spaniels had suffered from brain problems due to overdomed heads in the seventies, but the KC identified this problem and we've completely forgotten about this defect now - it's no longer an issue

As for crossbreeds and 57s - they aren't without their problems either. I've known an owner PTS their basset/rottweiler - you can't live with the bullheaded basset with the power of a rottweiler. They'll rule the household and be aggressive with it. A crossbreed I fostered escaped PTS by the skin of her teeth as she hadn't been identified as the ridgeback/staffy cross that she was, so what appeared to be madness was the flip between the ridgeback aloofness and staffy demanding of attention - and she was nervy and dealt with it with her teeth. Having identified her source breeds we were able to work with her

Now, you haven't actually addressed my comment on introducing over-bred, deformed problematic breeds to healthy breeds

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for crossbreeding to achieve a specific function, but not for creating stupid bloody 'breed' names such as 'puggle' or 'cocker poo'... and I still want to know why there are millions of pics of puggle pups online, but next to none of adult ones - do they die off, or do people get bored with their stupidly named dogs when the novelty wears off?

Breeding to a strict standard or having a cross breed doesn't make a good dog.

You can give them whatever glamorous name you wish - but the interbreeding of two different breed types = mongrel.

IMHO they're given stupid names to appeal to stxxxx people, sorry, to mislead people that they're special.

I saw that too. Apparently the "ridge" is a form of spina bifida.

My dog is a labrador cross. His father was an Alsatian and his mother a black labrador, but he looks more like a labrador, just skinnier. He is 9 months old now.

When I was looking for a puppy in the Freeads, there were a lot of dogs advertised as designer crossbreeds e.g. "germadors" (labrador/alsatian cross) for £400 upwards. My dog cost £100.

The problem is if people actually pay £400+ for what is essentially a cross breed, then the idiots that breed them will carry on breeding and breeding and breeding.... ending up with more dogs in the already spliting to bursting point rescue centres.

It's such a shame, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an answer.

Pedigree dogs have health problems.

Cross breed dogs have health problems.

I currently have a 14 and a half year old pedigree dalmatian who is basically the equivalent of an old man - he has a touch of the old alzheimers, his eyesight and hearing aren't what they used to be and his legs are a bit stiff and weak but he's essentially healthy and very happy.

In fact, he's just bounced all the way around the living room for a good 10 minutes tormenting my 4 year old dalmatian.

He's so far lived a whole year and a half longer than my mum's crossbreed she had when she was a child. You know - one of those healthier ones? That had to be put to sleep due to health problems ;)

It's been known to cull deaf dalmatian pups to try to eradicate the problem in the breed. This is still written into the breed club's rule of ethics and it's the reason so many breeders aren't members and neither am I.

The problem is being eradicated - over time, but that's by careful breeding and neutering of deaf pups rather than the culling.

I wouldn't go to a breeder who culled deaf pups, just the same as I wouldn't go to a breeder who culled ridgebacks without a ridge. They don't all do it.

Breeds have changed over the years - however, as Strix says, some breeds have changed for the better. When dogs were first being bred for purpose people knew very little about the genetics and what potential problems they were breeding in. We now know better but improvement doesn't happen over night.

Personally my heart sinks when I meet a dog that is struggling to breathe because it's nose is too squashed or it's belly is actually dragging on the floor due to it's legs being so ridiculously short knowing not only the problems the dogs have at present but the problems they're likely to experience in later life and yes - I agree to an extent with certain breeds things need to be done.

However, I fail to see how crossbreeding willy nilly (and that's what it is - they say 'it's a healthy mix' but they haven't looked into it - as long as they can give it a silly name they know they can get silly money) can help this problem.

And there is no 'o' in DALMATIAN.