'designer dogs' aka crossbreeds

As for crossbreeds and 57s - they aren't without their problems either. I've known an owner PTS their basset/rottweiler - you can't live with the bullheaded basset with the power of a rottweiler. They'll rule the household and be aggressive with it. A crossbreed I fostered escaped PTS by the skin of her teeth as she hadn't been identified as the ridgeback/staffy cross that she was, so what appeared to be madness was the flip between the ridgeback aloofness and staffy demanding of attention - and she was nervy and dealt with it with her teeth. Having identified her source breeds we were able to work with her

Have to agree with this. My dog is a total mix; of what we are not sure, suggestions have been a mixture of Labrador crossed with staffy/ english bull/mastiff pointer (I can't see that), English fox hound (this one neither)and even collie (this I really doubt) and the one I dread them saying is pitbull type. He has the boxy forehead and slightly slitty eyes of a bull breed but big ears that can stick up and a longer nose.

He has an odd personality and how much of his behaviour it is down to breed/s or how he was brought up before we rescued him I'm not sure, If I can see any particular trait of any one particular breed unfortunately it is the nasty side of him which is dog aggression which is luckily not replicated in him chasing other smaller furry animals or birds so could just be down to his past. Though it was bad enough for us to consider quite seriously having him PTS. (he is much better know but you have to watch him)

He likes water, he was also pretty good at stalking (deer/ sheep/ dogs) but I knocked that one on the head pretty quickly as I did not like the intent behind it. He likes people, does not have any retrieve ability, likes jumping over/ across things if asked and lots of sniffing. He is quite similar to a labrador in stamina that he would trot all day but also has a quite explosive very short sprint which I've not really seen labs do.

I would go as far as saying he is as intelligent as the retriever I used to have, I bought him one of the brick activity games last week and he did it first time in less then 5 minutes. He is extremely calm and laid back..the only times he gets giddy is when he knows it is walk time and then he has an odd squeal/ howl thing nothing I ever heard in any breeds I'm familar with.

Like Strix said a smaller dog with aggression/ stubborness is easier to handle but once they get crossed and end up larger they are hard to control. I've always found Jack russels and collies lovely dogs but they can occasionally be on the nippy side with people so to have that trait it a larger dog would be worrying. Then again people always repeat that slogan that it's the owners fault not the breed so maybe I'm just reading too much into it! :lol:

Then again people always repeat that slogan that it's the owners fault not the breed so maybe I'm just reading too much into it! :lol:
I'm firmly of the belief that dogs are born with personalities of their own, and we just contribute to that. My uncle's had a handful of Rotts, and one of those very much KNEW he was a Rott and played on it - he's had others I liked better. If dogs are only as bad as their owners make them, then all of his rotts will have been clones - which they weren't

Jack Russells are snappy - unless you get a weird one

Beagles are motivated by scent - unless they're not beagles :P

Spaniels and Labs WANT to retrieve - unless they've been crossed with something with a different agenda

I still agree with the slogan 'judge the deed, not the breed' though - particularly as the dogs in the dangerous dogs act are predominantly cross breeds with indeterminate temperament on paper

The worst designer breed I've seen (advertised once in a local paper back home) was a English Bulldog and Shih Tzu. Cross-bred for absolutely NO other reason than name. Disgusting.

I've never quite understood the appeal in Puggles. I am fond of Beagles, and Pugs are my absolute favourite breed, but the best qualities of each would seem to cancel out each other...

The rottie hatred again i love rotts SO intelligent and quick to learn they would not be working dogs otherwise! Rottweilers have a great temp and are very calm and chilled fab dogs!

Who's said they hate rotties?!