'designer dogs' aka crossbreeds

Have your rant here ;)

Feel free to rant about labradoodles if you wish - there are many unscrupulous 'breeders' still being bred from a labrador and a poodle, but please bear in mind that responsible breeders are breeding from the best 'labradoodles' they've bred to produce pups more likely to be what they want them to be and they are breeding for a purpose unlike the many ridiculous crossbreeds with stupid names we see in the freeads.

I've just come across this. It's a 'snorkie' apparently :suspect: a yorkie x mini schnauzer sorry but... :loopy: I wouldn't purposely breed one of those.

Please try to keep the thread civilised though - but this is somewhere people can let off steam so as to make sure it all stays relevant.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against cross breeds, many of them are actually healthier than pure breeds but they should not be advertised as something they're not and these 'designer dogs' that are bred purely for money are never health checked to make sure the cross is beneficial. :rant:

That's my bit over with - now over to you :D

I dare anybody to google 'puggles' :rant:

Flamin' ugly things on the whole :mad: no consistency :rant: who in their right mind would mate a beagle with a pug :loopy:

Whilst I can see that it can cure breathing problems in the pug, how does this benefit the beagle breed at all? :confused: why introduce 'problem' genes to a healthy dog line?

I agree- these snorkies are the same - none of them look alike there are some lovely looking ones and then some dead ugly things like the one posted above...

I saw some kind of rottie cross the other day but cannot for the life of me remember what it was crossed with, let alone called.... Any ideas?

It is quite possible to selectively breed pugs with longer noses rather than introducing a beagle into the equation.

Just like if you breed smaller jack russels together you will eventually end up with smaller jack russels in the line - with no need to add chihuahua...

I saw some kind of rottie cross the other day but cannot for the life of me remember what it was crossed with, let alone called.... Any ideas?

I haven't actually seen any rotties being used in this way now I come to think of it...

I've seen dalmadors... black labs cross dalmatians and I am not too impressed :suspect:

not unless you give us a few more clues - like colour, size and build ;)

I'm off to bed guys - have work in 8 hours and need some beauty sleep.

I just saw the name. It will come back to me..... eventually.

I wonder what a 'rottenberger' would look like? :hihi:

The snorkie is sweet, but seems to have someone elses ears stuck on.

Are there positive advantages to these new cross breeds? i.e. genetic problems caused by interbreeding could be eliminated? Just a thought, as all I know about dog breeding can be written on a postage stamp.

there are no genetic problems with beagles :rant:

why poison their good track record with pugs? :confused: