Manor topics from 40's to the late 60's

Hello Mack49.

My Grand dad was a grave digger at Handsworth cemetery,he had a family plot there (jobs had perks even then)& in a fashion, he dug his own grave, initially for his son then other members later & also eventually himself was buried there in the late 70's all in the same plot.57 sounds like you were just across the road.I will try to get Rosalind to clarify everything.Thanks

Hi Mack49, you were next door but one so I think we would have knocked around in the same crowd at that time?

I'm not sure but think the Jolliff's may have been at 61 b4 us but I do recall my mum using the name. One incident sticks out in my mind when I was knocked down in the road outside our house by a couple of older guys on racing bikes! They were racing each other and I didn't look! Should have seen the shape of both their front wheels though! (not to mention little old me but no bones broken). By the way no offence intended re the "grumpy guy"...it was just a memory I have where he was getting a bit brassed off with us kids kicking the ball into the front garden and on the umpteenth time (he wasn't pleased) he kicked the ball onto the street.The football was closely followed by a carpet slipper sailing through the air which provided a bit of mirth for us tykes at the time. I can remember having a tin can with hot coals in it which you swung on a piece of wire.... Winter Warmer we called them....anyone else remember them?

Hi Buster, No offence taken. I used to play football on the road also and when they grassed over the tram tracks on Prince we had grass and floodlight. My mother lived at 57 until they pulled them down in the 90's

Hello Buster

Thank you for all your imput into these memories,Jonny german lived next door to my family,one of the older sisters still sees him occasionally in passing.Micheal Lowe also know as Michael Kelly to my Aunts, lived next door to Jonny German.Rosalind remembers the winter warmers + she also remembers the kids calling for her for snowball fights even though she was married & 20 years old of course she obliged.She also remembers David Bacon who was at 58,Winchurches opposite gennel possibly before you & a girl called Gloria you may know a Barbara Woolhouse ,although rosalind was little older than most of you she remembers some of the younger occupants of the street,also a grumpy old woman at the top of the gennell on Hastilar rd end called Mrs Whittam who had some nick names I believe

So many names I remember, I used to be friends with a Gillian Hardcastle at Prince Edward Juniors in the 60s. I recognise names Barbara Woolhouse, Mick Kelly, Hortons. I used to live round the corner on Queen Mary Road.

Hello Fiat 500

I find it remarkable that so many comments have been made, for a very small area & for so long ago, when I even stuggle to remember last week.Any other comments still appreciated

Hi to all respondants to this thread, like you say Stovin it's amazing just how much one can recall... David Bacon, Barbara Woolhouse and Gillian Hardcastle are all names that seem familiar form that time. My two elder sisters may well have known Rosalind, Barbara and Gillian perhaps? (Margaret and Janet) would have been about 12 or 13 at that time.

Now I definitely remember the lady at the top of the gennill and sorry to say now that we put a couple of bangers up her drainpipe one bonfire night!

I had a Triang scooter which I was very proud of. The other type was a Mobo. I used to go all the way down POW rd to my Grannies in Darnall sometimes. Also remember putting pennies on the tramline at the end of Fairfax.....remember they used to come out all flat! I remember doing a stint at Sunday School just around the corner in POW rd but I never used to like it much!

One other incident that I remember was the German's getting burgled one night. They were pretty keen fishermen I think John's older brothers... anyway they broke in to the area at the back door and did pretty well for themselves.I think I am right in saying that one of German lads had a go but was given a bashing for his trouble. Anyone recall?

Hi Buster

Just called my Aunt regarding your comments,she is still trying to work out who you are,you are obviously of the right era.Regarding the breakin she reckons they used a hand drill to drill several holes so they could put there hand through to open the porch door at the rear,she does not recall them getting clobbered though.One of the older brothers was Neville.I have left Rosalind in deep thought she is trying to remember your sisters,if she does not come up with any answers I will get in touch with some other members of our family & pick their brains.More info hopefully within the next 2 days

Hi Buster

Just called my Aunt regarding your comments,she is still trying to work out who you are,you are obviously of the right era.Regarding the breakin she reckons they used a hand drill to drill several holes so they could put there hand through to open the porch door at the rear,she does not recall them getting clobbered though.One of the older brothers was Neville.I have left Rosalind in deep thought she is trying to remember your sisters,if she does not come up with any answers I will get in touch with some other members of our family & pick their brains.More info hopefully within the next 2 days

HI,I'M the Bararbara that is mentioned,was friends with Rosalind,nice to hear familiar names mentioned ,brought back many memories,would be nice to hear from rosalind,as Iam in touch with some of her classmates

Hello Buster

Thank you for all your imput into these memories,Jonny german lived next door to my family,one of the older sisters still sees him occasionally in passing.Micheal Lowe also know as Michael Kelly to my Aunts, lived next door to Jonny German.Rosalind remembers the winter warmers + she also remembers the kids calling for her for snowball fights even though she was married & 20 years old of course she obliged.She also remembers David Bacon who was at 58,Winchurches opposite gennel possibly before you & a girl called Gloria you may know a Barbara Woolhouse ,although rosalind was little older than most of you she remembers some of the younger occupants of the street,also a grumpy old woman at the top of the gennell on Hastilar rd end called Mrs Whittam who had some nick names I believe

the Gloria you mentioned was Gloria Rayner

I used to live at 89 The Circle from 1947 till about 1951, my Father had an old ex WD Ford painted red delivering fruit and veg around the Manor and Littledale estates, there was anther identicle truck operated by a Mr Potter from Newhall Road and a guy with a horse and cart whos name I forget. It was very friendly competition, we all had diferent hours and we did Fairfax Road and all those parallel while the horse and cart guy did all the roads at right angles, it was easier for his horse as those raods were flatter.

I went to Pipworth from 1947 to 48, when I passed my 11+ I think there was only three of us passed that year, a lad called Redfern and my first and unrequited secret love Barbara Hibberd who lived in a private house on POW road, it was rumored that her family used cutlery.

In the spring of 1948, one of the kids from Pipworth was coming out at lunch time and decided to hitch a lift on a passing truck, as the truck picked up speed he fell off and it ran over his legs, a couple of weeks later I ended up in the next bed at the Childrens Hospital with appendicitis.

The Manor then was a law abiding lovely place to live, we had country next door, the fields that ran all the way down to Attercliffe, up to the Manor House and down to Wyborne, then there were the woods behind Pipworth that went on forever. The fields became The Littledale Estate and the woods were opencast mines and a concrete mixing operation.

We used to walk from The Circle to Ford and you hardly had to use any roads.

The only names I can remember were the Ogleys our neighbours I remeber when we moved in they were already in the house with a cup of tea mashed with a welcome. I had a particular friend who lived on Harbourugh Ave, their garden backed onto ours his name was Tony Etches, his Dad was a Fishmonger.

When I was living in the USA I came over on Holiday to show my wife where I had lived, we saw on the TV that night that the Police had declared it a no go area, I can't beleive they are the progeny of all the good decent hardworking people that I knew in that area, maybe ignorance is bliss and age begets cynicism.

the Gloria you mentioned was Gloria Rayner

:) Thanks barbara for that Rosalind now remembers. I still have not managed to get her near my PC yet she still using clock work items although she has managed texting on her mobile.We will be in touch once I have managed to speak to all the sisters & also if any of them know anything about all the other threads added:)