Tipping in restaurants

Originally posted by bonny

Waiting staff are usually doing the job as they have other commitments during the day and can only work at night. I don't know many waiting staff who do not have to get up at 7am after getting home at 3.30am. All for £4.50 per hour.

i do this........

Originally posted by Robbie_Lovin

i do this........

Which part do you do? Have to get up at 7am or not have to?

Originally posted by sw9wj

-retail work tends to pay more than catering so less need for tips.

id ask the majority who do work in retail if this is the case

Hi Robbie_Lovin,

I've worked in retail before. I used to get £4.25 and as it has been pointed out in this thread, shop staff have no chance of getting a tip. However, I did once get a tip, but the point was that I didn't expect one. I'd been paid by the company to help the customers and that was what I was doing.

I'd been stood greeting customers when a gentleman with a buggy laden with shopping and a screaming baby asked me to find him a black and white ring. He explained how his girlfriend had sent him and he didn't have a clue where to find it and thought that I may be able to help him. Naturally, I went and found all the black and white rings in the shop (Which took me about 5 minutes or so of constant searching) and promptly returned to him and showed him all the rings. He chose one and gave me a fiver to take it to the till for him and pop it in a bag. Which I did and I returned with the bag, the receipt and his change. He gave me the change back and told me to keep it for being so helpful and he told me he was extremely grateful (as his baby continued to roar away) I'm sure there was £1 - £1.50 in change, and it was really nice of him to do it because I'd never expected it and it never happened again. I guess he was just a really nice man in need of a really nice shop assistant to help him lol!

Question.

Is it better to tip at the table or on a credit card.

Anyone work in a restaurant etc ?

We went for a meal yesterday and I usually leave a tip on the table when I've paid the bill but yesterday I had no change so I put the tip on the credit card. How does it work. Do the staff still get tips if they're included in the credit card payment or does the company get them and not share the money out ?

Depends how honest the manager is- I worked at a place where the credit card tip went straight to the tax dodging fat cat observing the CCTV, whereas tips left on tables can either be required to put in a pot for group division or for the waitress/waitor that gave you good enough service to make you want to tip them- another place I worked was punishable by dismissal being caught keeping your own tips.

Swings and roundabout I'm afraid.

But WHY?! Why is it etiquette to tip a waiter but not a shop assistant? Why should waiters be paid twice to wait your table? Forget the tradition and what has been forced upon us as the social norm and look at it objectively.. why are we paying them twice for the same job?

Afraid I agree with Titian there, no matter how flash the restaurant may seem, in my experience no waitressing job pays much mroe than minimum wage, which means a lot more hours to make decent living financial costs etc etc...

I feel it's more a sympathy thing with tips in restaurants, based on the pap wages, esp in the bigger chain companies...

Rant over!

I am one of them people who never tips at restaurants not sure why just never had the need to.

Edited by Idler