Eco village set up in sheffield anyone interested?

Hello all :)

I have the same idea - and a plot of land for 15-20 houses in mind, in South West Sheffield, 200m from Peak's...email me and I can tell you more - I want to get a team together, who are committed to making this happen - the land is for sale through open tender, so we have to get basics (including funding) together sharpish. We have about 5 families already involved, of which 4 are committed. I think we need a meeting later this week or early next to discuss things...

Our idea is to set a basic sustainable target for the site - e.g. AECB Gold. Maybe have a site wide coordinating architect and site manager, but then whatever people needed to build, and however they want to build it is up to them. We would need to set up a Community Company, and buy the land through that, the company would then also sort out shared resources (services, access, planning, open spaces, plot layouts etc). We have two Banks who have said in principle they would lend money to such a scheme... :)

We are not in a position to pick up too many tools ourselves (me and mrs) - we would be paying people to do most of the work. We need a family house (three ankle biters), but others need a small flat / house. Again, personal choice.

Land cost is likely to be iro £80-150k per plot, build costs vary so much, but a typical built house cost in the UK is between £500 (self-built and basic) to £1500 (pay a builder and posh hooose). Savings can be made through building as a row of terraces etc, and so may need to be considered.

I would warn against starting with a solution (e.g. a green roof as mentioned) - so many of these things are site specific, not all are as good as they make out to be :(. Looking at the site, what you want to achieve and then working through 'eco-technologies' and 'fixes' is a better approach.

And I also run a sustainable building materials supply company - some great, easy self build products, which of course we can sell on at very good rates to the project :)

(http://www.sustainablebuildingsupplies.co.uk)

Straw bale - Sheffield's principal planning officer is very into straw bale... :)

You can email me matt AT sustainablebuildingsupplies.co.uk or houses AT surefish.co.uk

Matt

Hi again

I work with Groundwork promoting Green Roof technology in south Yorkshire. If you need any information on the subject just let me know. We have also recently started to include a local enterprise in the supply chain to reduce costs.

Cheers

Keep me in the loop too - we've just moved and now only rely on mains lecky, but want to go totally sustainable...

I heard there are plans to build Eco-homes at Norfolk Park.

Hello all, not heard anything back from the ringinglow rd project, but have found a plot of land, would need at least 4 others to 'take it on' would be looking at £70k for a plot of approx 1/3 acre. outline planning approved but not for this spec. It's N/W sheffield interested? Auction end of Feb

I am wanting to build an eco home, have visited a site down near Bristol which inspired me, the best way seems to be to get together a group of like minded people and purchase a plot of land jointly and also jointly contract for bulding works to reduce costs, this is my first call out for potientially interested parties. Looking at this as a long term residence,but am now (or in new year) starting to check things out;)

what a great idea kitty! where were you thinking of doing it?

Has anything happened with any of this yet? I'm really interested in eco building, and although not in a position at the moment to get involved myself, I'd love to hear all about these projects.

Maybe you could keep an online blog?

The project will need some close negotiations to be purchased collectively and built collectively. We may be interested in purchasing a plot and can project manage the project to everyones specifications. Ideally where possible anyone with basic skills should work within their (and possibly other) properties to help keep costs down.

Our purchase would be either as a detailed project for business or if its suitable for us to move to ourselves although we are looking for a substantial piece of land (min 1 acre) to be totally self sufficient for growing food etc.

We did look at some land near snowdonia. Total was 81 acres but only limited amount of buildings could be erected (which would have suited us) but to be effective people need to register their interest and budget into a collective scheme and then everyone has to keep their eyes open for a suitable shared site based on these details.

Without this we are all working individually and trust me finding a lone plot of a decent size for a single dwelling is RARE now unless you have over 250k for the land.

Our budget is £400k all in build and land (1 acre min) the more remote the better. Would not consider near major roads or similar.