Dog keeps chewing when left

can anyone help us we have a 14 month staff cross we got her as a 9 week pup but when we go to work or go out she chews everthin she can we tried alsorts anti chew but she just carries on can anyone help

Sorry mate its the breed ours is the same all you can do is limit what it can reach If its not left fot too long you could cage it.

i think she will have to be caged as she just chews when we leave to go anywhere

yep its the breed and as they grow older they dont grow out it they just get more picky what they chew lol

a cage is the best solution ours decided it would be a good idea to chew the artex off the walls

Have you tried a Kong toy filled with different morsels of food. You can get these hollow rubber toys from good pet shops and over the net. You can soak biscuits in stock, add bits of cheese and meat, even scrambled egg. You pack this into the hollow in the kong and the dog spends ages trying to get it out - a distraction from chewing when he is on his own.

A crate might be a good idea too.

we bought loads of kongs mine chewed them up lol

try a buster cube. have proved husky proof so may work for a staffie. apart from distraction therapy or a crate, its more a case of damage limitation. quite prone to destructivness like huskies are. move things out of reach where possible.

we move everything we can but she has now learnt to open doors and she also ripps up the floor and pull off skirting

Whilst crates are a great tool for dogs, they should absolutely not be used to routinely crate a dog for long periods of time whilst you are at work and dogs should never ever be left in them for as long as 10 hours (as you mentioned in another thread). Is there any way you could get together some kind of outdoor enclosure?

I'd recommend crating too - but if possible put the crate somewhere where there is something interesting to see.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy your crate from Argos - they just aren't staffie proof. I'd recommend Croft crates, as the bars are closer together, so more difficult to get teeth into, and are sturdier than others I've come across elsewhere. They're also carefully constructed to avoid stray 'ends' sticking out (unlike the Argos ones :suspect: ) http://www.croftonline.co.uk special offers on crates

Don't embark upon crating unless you've read up on the subject. A crate should never be a prison to keep a dog in whilst you are out, but should be a permanent safe haven from the bustle of family life. when you introduce a crate, remove all other beds and make the crate comfortable. if necessary, feed your dog in the crate until he/she is familiar with it. I could go on, but there are plenty of books out there ;)