The First Trimester 0 - 3 months ish

Any one know the details of the breastfeeding club that runs in Hillsborough ?

Good luck for all those July mums to be out there, I have just five weeks to go to my EDD. :)

H!

What do you need to know? !ts a k!nd of drop!n held at the Junor L!brary !n the park on a Monday from 10.30 to 12.30. There wll def!ntely be some health vstors who can offer support tea, coffee and b!cc!es and often peer supporters go when they can (a lot of the supporters have had new babes and then there are some l!ke me who have had to go back to work). !ts really good even !f you dont need spec!f!c support to meet other mums w!th l!ttle babes. !f you want any more !nfo please feel free to PM me:D

PS new keyboard arr!ved earl!er so ! should have normal 'eyes' aga!n soon;)

Ooops just real!sed ths was an old post - st!ll useful !nfo though:thumbsup:

Hi there,

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and due on 25th Jan, I'm with Concord Team but am planning on having a home birth if at all possible (midwife is very supportive of this idea). I went to hospital last time (8 years ago) and just think I'd feel much more relaxed if I could stay at home! Havn't been to any ante natal classes at Firth Park, I can remember well enough what to do from last time!

Hi mrsb73,

I'm due on 28th Jan and I'm also with the Concord Team! I too was thinking of having a home birth, the only thing that worries me is that it's my first baby and so I'm pretty clueless.

I'll probably attend the classes at Firth Park but if there's any advice you think can help/reassure me, I'll be glad to hear it! :)

Hi mrsb73,

I'm due on 28th Jan and I'm also with the Concord Team! I too was thinking of having a home birth, the only thing that worries me is that it's my first baby and so I'm pretty clueless.

I'll probably attend the classes at Firth Park but if there's any advice you think can help/reassure me, I'll be glad to hear it! :)

Hi there meumeu77,

With my first baby (1999) it never even occured to me to have a home birth, the thought never entered my head. This time tho, I have been watching lots of birthing programs on the various Sky channels and became quite interested in home birth after watching a few programs about it.

When I first met my midwife (Fran Crawley), she asked me if I had thought about what sort of birth I would like. Last time I did go to hosp, but stayed in the birthing pool for as long as I could, before I had to get out due to exhaustion! I did however manage to give birth to a 9lb 6oz boy with a few painkillers, a bit of gas n air and no stitches - the water definitely helps you to stretch!

Anyway I said to Fran that I was thinking about home birth but had sort of discounted it due to the risks of not being in hospital in case of an emergency etc etc. Fran was very encouraging about HB and explained that if it was what I wanted then I would be supported all the way, and that 2 midwifes would actually be in attendance at a home birth, and I would get a lot more care and attention than I would in hospital. In the case of an emergency she said that when a woman is having a HB then an ambulance is always on standby just in case, and would whip me in just as quick as if I was in hospital and they were preparing theatre for a ceasarean.

I feel quite reassured by this and plan to stick to my HB plan unless something goes wrong or if it is better for me to be in hospital for some reason. With it being your first you may be encouraged to go for hosp delivery but it is up to you at the end of the day and if you want HB then go for it!

they do say that it's a much more calm and natural experience to have baby at home, esp if you are well supported and there is less risk of infection. I have nothing against Jessops but my friend had a baby there last year who was one of three babies that came home with impetigo, and a lady I know ended up in hosp with a hospital bug after giving birth there a few weeks ago. I also spoke to a friend who is a midwife on Whirlow team and she as really encouraged me to pursue HB and thinks it will be great!

Forgot to mention they will delivery gas and air to your house before your due date so you do get some pain relief at least. As for ante natal classes, the ones I attended at the NGH last time were rubbish, although I believe they have improved greatly over the last few years. They main thing I think is to breathe through the contractions, sort of riding them out and keep calm and in control. Screaming is a waste of energy and oxygen!

Hope I helped a little!

I've proably mentioned this before somewhere on this thread(sorry can't be bothered to run through it all and check!)

I have had all my 3 at home with no pain relief but a tens machine and gardeners knee pads, and reccommend it to anyone expecting a normal delivery.I was 21 with the first and only met one old male consultant who was strongly against the idea,everyone else was fully supportive.

I can't imagine what it would be like giving birth in hospital, nor what it must be like for the Dads.

Hospitals;

Sharing midwives,other babies crying,hospital food,loads of strangers/visitors+ their germs,Father having to go home,temptation of using pain relief you wanted to avoid due to being un relaxed,packing a bag and forgetting things,having to lug all the cards flowers etc home again....

Home birth;

You don't have to remember or forget anything,you have your own home comforts,food,bed,music,tele,bed,bathroom etc,you have your own midwife(usualy 2),Dad gets to bond with baby as much as Mum-it's so lovely the first morning waking up together(I'l never forget just looking at our new baby with her tiny hand wrapped around my partners finger)If it's a 2nd baby Mummy doesn't have to go away and return with a new baby(although with my last one I did send the other two to grandparents for the night)....

The only bad thing about home birth(from my experience) is that I didn't really let myself rest,I was straight back into the hoovering and washing the next day,and my partner seemed like he was the one who deserved the rest !!A lot of people seem to think they'l be loads of mess,but theres not really,and the midwives sort it all out and take it away with them.And a midwife visits every day for 10 days to check mum and baby out.

Mrsb73 and Peakma,

Thank you so much for the info you took time to write. I really enjoyed reading it and if I had any doubt about home birth, it's gone!

I'm seeing my midwife next Friday and I will tell her I want a HB for sure now!

Thanks again. :D

Mrsb73 and Peakma,

Thank you so much for the info you took time to write. I really enjoyed reading it and if I had any doubt about home birth, it's gone!

I'm seeing my midwife next Friday and I will tell her I want a HB for sure now!

Thanks again. :D

Thats Brilliant! Good luck and keep us posted!

it's funny how even close family and friends try to put you off the idea of a homebirth. I know they care for me but I feel disappointed by the lack of support. Even my husband is not too keen on the idea.

Hi, I am due to be induced on 15th October at Jessops and wanted to know about others experience of this. I was induced with my eldest but that was 16 years ago and I can't remember what it was like. I've heard people say that induced labour is more painful than when it happens spontaneously, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sully's mum

it's funny how even close family and friends try to put you off the idea of a homebirth. I know they care for me but I feel disappointed by the lack of support. Even my husband is not too keen on the idea.

Have you discussed it with your midwife yet meumeu? What are her views about it? If she is as supportive as my midwife, maybe get your husband to go with you to your next appt to reassure him.

I had a home birth with my second and both me and my partner loved every bit of it, it was soooooo relaxing i only needed gas and air for about 3 puffs before she was pushed out :hihi:

Angie

Have you discussed it with your midwife yet meumeu? What are her views about it? If she is as supportive as my midwife, maybe get your husband to go with you to your next appt to reassure him.

hello, no I'm seeing her this Friday and I'll try to get my husband to come with me but I hope the midwife is not going to put him off more! If not I'll have to look for another midwife?!

update on my visit to the midwife. Me and my husband got to hear baby's heartbeat. It was brilliant!

I also mentioned the homebirth and she supported the idea, she also half reassured my husband for now. But he knows that I've already made up my mind. So now it's just a matter of him accepting it!