The First Trimester 0 - 3 months ish

well, i'm very much hoping my baby will look like her father, because he's gorgeous too :gag: even though he spends quite a lot of time acting like a monkey.

no books, just a very supportive midwife!

when i learnt to drive, i went for the approach of 'well, if n% of the adults in the country can drive, how hard can it be?'. I'm going in to this with the same sort of attitude. And besides, as you've said - if you listen to your body, it tells you what to do anyway. Hopefully the combination of midwife + body = successful (possibly water) birth. We shall see what i think to this when i'm still waddling 2 weeks after the birth...

Babymb, many thanks for your reply - I must admit all of that huffing and puffing on a mat with other couples was putting me off the ante-natal classes a bit! I will contact my midwife and try to book some soon.

Thanks again :)

Whilst I am on this thread, can anyone recommend a parenting book that they have or have used that they found particularly good? I am after a book that has basic care guide lines for the early weeks and onwards - any suggestions gratefully received.:) As you can probably tell this will be my first and I have the classic 1st time mum anxiousness :help:

Hey, maxsmum, I have two suggestions. My little one is now a year old, and these two really helped...BUT use your own instinct and common sense, too, a book is only ever a guide, and they can be a bit overprescriptive, in my opinion...

My favourites were: 'What to Expect in the First Year', which is written by a midwife, a mum and a nurse. Good on laying out what you can expect month by month, good on allaying fears about illnesses, feeding. sleeping, etc, the fact that you will think your child is having breathing difficulties and is about to shuffle off this mortal coil (lol, they all breathe funny at first), developmental milestones, odd purple spots, weird pooh, etc etc...it's all there.

And then, having taken on all that motherly, midwiferly (sic), nursey advice, go immerse yourself in an absolute lifesaver called 'How Not to be a Perfect Mother' and find out how to actually cope with a baby/young child (great tips, and a good laugh.)

Good luck all of you mums to be :)

I had my third (24 weeks) midwife appointment, which was a lot better. She wasn't quite as in a rush to get me out of the door. I did have a list of questions to ask including the parentcraft classes and how to get the MATB1 form, which she answered for me. I heard the baby's heart again, which was nice as I was worrying about the lack of movement from it for a few days. But she told me not to worry at 24 weeks as it is still quite small, so I might not feel them all.

I've started aquanatal classes and wished I had done it sooner. Everyone is really friendly and the midwife who takes them is really nice. I enjoyed it, but it was a lot more hard work than I thought it would be.

I'm Pregnant, due around the 29 November but will be around 15 november as I'm having a C section. will know more on Thursday after my scan.:)

Why have you been recommended a C/s littleboo?

im 32 weeks gone and my little one is due in july my midwife is lovley easy to get in touch with and realy helpfull after reading this i find myself very lucky

thanks cosywolf will look into your suggestions :)

Just thought I'd mention (not for sympathy, just to say what I thought of the hospital) that I spent wednesday night attached to a drip on the Rivelin ward at the Jessop, and the midwives were fabulous! It was also much much cleaner than a ward I stayed on at the northern about a year ago, and although there were clearly quite a few ladies in various states of pre/post babydom around, it was quiet apart from the occasional baby squeal, but I still got lots of attention.

Thank you, lovely midwives!

Hiya Maxmum, I got the 'What to Expect when you're expecting' book (quite cheap in Asda) and it's got lots of detail in an easy to understand format. I've dipped in an out of it loads over the past few months.

Does anyone else just LOVE being pregnant? I do. Now my tummy is bigger and rounder I just totally love it. (I feel soooo sexy)! Ok, the heartburn I could do without, but I don't want my boy to arrive a day earlier than he's due coz I just want to be pregnant for as long as possible.

I'm booked in to the two day weekend ante-natal classes at the Jessop Wing on 10/11 June. Glad to hear we don't have to get on the floor to practice puffing and panting! My boy's due 25 June - by the sounds of it there's a couple of us due around the same time. I'm excited too, hee hee!

hey babychickens, we have something in common because I spent Wednesday night on a drip on Rivelin ward as well! If only we'd known eh? Yes the midwives on that ward were wonderful and really helpful. It's just a shame the whole birth was such an utter nightmare. I delivered on the 7th (horrific, very long labour ending in ventouse delivery of little one) but he was poorly so we were in hospital for a week. We escaped but then I fell ill and it turned out that I had some placenta left inside me so back to hospital for a d and c.

NEVER AGAIN - whose idiot idea was it to have kids anyway...oh I remember, mine ;)

Baby is gorgeous though.