Any Housley Or Houseleys Out There?

Came across this thread in a Google search. I am Mark Housley from Manchester where we appear to have come to from sheffield around 1900.

My tree as far as I can go (1851) looks something like this:

George (writing hard to read may be something else) -> Barnet -> Barnet -> Maurice -> John -> Me (all Housley).

Anyone who fits in that line or can provide more information, I would be happy to hear from.

Maurice 1895 son of Barnet 1867 son of Barnet-(Bernard) 1827 son of George 1803 steel converter in 1851 at Housley's court Ward Street Sheffield.

Hello to all in search of info on Emily Houseley (of the acting Houseley sisters.) My husband, Terry and his brother Richard, are Emily Houseley's grandsons. But, as someone else has mentioned, he is also a grandson of Emily, we are delighted. But we haven't got a clue where he fits into the greater scheme of things. Old Emily, what a woman!

Sometime before 1912, Emily married an actor/dancer/singer named Frank Hector Brooksmith who worked as Frank Hector. Frank was the understudy for most of his career to George Grosssmith Jr and was also the first choice when a show toured the provinces. And he was pretty much a wastrel. In 1912, Emily gave birth to their daughter, Joan Brooksmith, who was Terry and Rick's mother. Emily decided to retire to raise Joan. After a year or so, Frank was on the road, so she decided to surprise him with a visit. Imagine her surprise when she arrived at his digs and caught him en flagrante with his leading lady, unfortunately we don't know her name. Emily returned home and filed for divorce. Needing to support Joan, she went back to work and left Joan with some relatives who ran or owned a hotel in Eastbourne. A couple of years later she married a comedian named Jimmy Page. And in 1917, she gave birth to to their daughter, Shelagh Page. Needing to support a second child, she dumped Auntie Shelagh on relatives in a different side of the family (I think the Pages.) I think she eventually divorced Jimmy Page but according to Joan, she didn't re-marry again. At least not that Joan or Auntie Shelagh knew of.

When Joan was 20, somebody in the family screwed up and told her about her half-sister, previously unknown to Joan. Which was OK, as Auntie Shelagh hadn't heard about Joan either. Eventually, they met and while they were never sisters in the closeness sense, they became good friends. After Joan and Shelagh had both reached pensions age, Shelagh would come down to Chichester once a month or so and spend a weekend with Joan.

Sadly, both Joan and Auntie Shelagh passed away a number of years ago, so we can only work with what Joan told me and a little bit more from Shelagh and her box of research.

My husband particularly remembers Auntie Edie who he thought was great fun. He has a memory of visiting her when she lived in Mechlenburg Square in London. But he had absolutely no use for Grandma Emily. Grandma lived in a house on top of a hill at Tulse Hill in her later years and twice a year he was dragged by his mother to visit. (These were pre-little brother visits.) These were sit there and shut up-type visits. Both Joan and Terry couldn't wait to leave.

One of the most charming things about the Houseley sisters was that producers couldn't remember who was who and they were booked as 'send me the The Funny One, The Dramatic One, the Dark-haired One,' that sort of thing.

Frank Hector used to send Joan postcards twice a year to his 'darling' and say how he hoped to see her soon, but he never showed up. I don't know about Jimmy Page, but I suspect Auntie Shelagh was in the same boat.

So, one big, happy family! Have a nice day.

Hello to all in search of info on Emily Houseley (of the acting Houseley sisters.) My husband, Terry and his brother Richard, are Emily Houseley's grandsons. But, as someone else has mentioned, he is also a grandson of Emily, we are delighted. But we haven't got a clue where he fits into the greater scheme of things. Old Emily, what a woman!

Sometime before 1912, Emily married an actor/dancer/singer named Frank Hector Brooksmith who worked as Frank Hector. Frank was the understudy for most of his career to George Grosssmith Jr and was also the first choice when a show toured the provinces. And he was pretty much a wastrel. In 1912, Emily gave birth to their daughter, Joan Brooksmith, who was Terry and Rick's mother. Emily decided to retire to raise Joan. After a year or so, Frank was on the road, so she decided to surprise him with a visit. Imagine her surprise when she arrived at his digs and caught him en flagrante with his leading lady, unfortunately we don't know her name. Emily returned home and filed for divorce. Needing to support Joan, she went back to work and left Joan with some relatives who ran or owned a hotel in Eastbourne. A couple of years later she married a comedian named Jimmy Page. And in 1917, she gave birth to to their daughter, Shelagh Page. Needing to support a second child, she dumped Auntie Shelagh on relatives in a different side of the family (I think the Pages.) I think she eventually divorced Jimmy Page but according to Joan, she didn't re-marry again. At least not that Joan or Auntie Shelagh knew of.

When Joan was 20, somebody in the family screwed up and told her about her half-sister, previously unknown to Joan. Which was OK, as Auntie Shelagh hadn't heard about Joan either. Eventually, they met and while they were never sisters in the closeness sense, they became good friends. After Joan and Shelagh had both reached pensions age, Shelagh would come down to Chichester once a month or so and spend a weekend with Joan.

Sadly, both Joan and Auntie Shelagh passed away a number of years ago, so we can only work with what Joan told me and a little bit more from Shelagh and her box of research.

My husband particularly remembers Auntie Edie who he thought was great fun. He has a memory of visiting her when she lived in Mechlenburg Square in London. But he had absolutely no use for Grandma Emily. Grandma lived in a house on top of a hill at Tulse Hill in her later years and twice a year he was dragged by his mother to visit. (These were pre-little brother visits.) These were sit there and shut up-type visits. Both Joan and Terry couldn't wait to leave.

One of the most charming things about the Houseley sisters was that producers couldn't remember who was who and they were booked as 'send me the The Funny One, The Dramatic One, the Dark-haired One,' that sort of thing.

Frank Hector used to send Joan postcards twice a year to his 'darling' and say how he hoped to see her soon, but he never showed up. I don't know about Jimmy Page, but I suspect Auntie Shelagh was in the same boat.

So, one big, happy family! Have a nice day.

These Housley's would be the ones who were in Radcliffe Lancs, but harking back to the Ecclesfield Grenoside family,

Edith married Robert Gompertz

Does anyone have information on Susan Hurst born 1690 and married 30 Jun 1743

Ecclesfield, Yorkshire to Joseph Housley? She was buried 30 Jun 1743 Ecclesfield, Yorkshire England. I can't find her parents.

Does anyone have information on Susan Hurst born 1690 and married 30 Jun 1743

Ecclesfield, Yorkshire to Joseph Housley? She was buried 30 Jun 1743 Ecclesfield, Yorkshire England. I can't find her parents.

Don't have her parents, needs further research on the Ecclesfield parish records for Hirst-Hurst, married 1 October 1711.

Thank you. Maybe I can do that research.

Thank you. Maybe I can do that research.

Children for Joseph and Susan,

John 1712

Elizabeth 1717

Joseph 1718

Betty 1720

William 1721

Mathias 1725

Esther 1726

Jacob 1727

Hannah ?

Susanna 1732

I've been looking and looking for about an hour and I'm having no luck so far on Ancestry.com finding anything about Joseph and Susan, but I'll keep looking.

Thank you so much for the information about the children. That helps.

I've been looking and looking for about an hour and I'm having no luck so far on Ancestry.com finding anything about Joseph and Susan, but I'll keep looking.

Thank you so much for the information about the children. That helps.

You will have to search records personally at either the Archives or a LDS centre.

You will find some Housley information here,

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyYorkshire_%28E-H%29.htm#E

not much use in this case but may help somewhere along the line.

OK. There is an LDS centre near me.

Thank you for the link.